I don't think I even know one guitar player who can correctly play the intro to Stairway. If I actually had to bet money on a random guitar player knowing a lick, Stairway would NOT be it. The cliche riff that the most players know are more like: Crazy Train, Teen Spirit, Sunshine of your Love, Sweet Home Alabama, Day Tripper. Maybe Enter Sandman. Even Iron Man and Smoke on the Water are from prior 1970s generations.

It requires fingerpicking. You just lost 80% of rock guitarists. It requires you fret the open D with the pinky on the F note on the D string. Most rock players don't do that.

Stairway to Heaven

e----------5--7--------7-8--------8--2--------2-0---------0-
b-------5--------5----------5-----------3---------1-----1---
g----5--------------5----------5-----------2---------2------
d-[B][color="Red"]7[/COLOR][/B]-----------[B][color="Red"]6[/COLOR][/B]----------[B][color="Red"]5[/COLOR][/B]-----------[B][color="Red"]4[/COLOR][/B]----------[B][color="Red"]3[/COLOR][/B]-----------
a-----------------------------------------------------------
e-----------------------------------------------------------
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp
good thing it's a shit song that nobody under 50 cares to hear anyway
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by MissingSomethin
I don't think I even know one guitar player who can correctly play the intro to Stairway. If I actually had to bet money on a random guitar player knowing a lick, Stairway would NOT be it. The cliche riff that the most players know are more like: Crazy Train, Teen Spirit, Sunshine of your Love, Sweet Home Alabama, Day Tripper. Maybe Enter Sandman. Even Iron Man and Smoke on the Water are from prior 1970s generations.

It requires fingerpicking. You just lost 80% of rock guitarists. It requires you fret the open D with the pinky on the F note on the D string. Most rock players don't do that.

Stairway to Heaven

e----------5--7--------7-8--------8--2--------2-0---------0-
b-------5--------5----------5-----------3---------1-----1---
g----5--------------5----------5-----------2---------2------
d-[B][color="Red"]7[/COLOR][/B]-----------[B][color="Red"]6[/COLOR][/B]----------[B][color="Red"]5[/COLOR][/B]-----------[B][color="Red"]4[/COLOR][/B]----------[B][color="Red"]3[/COLOR][/B]-----------
a-----------------------------------------------------------
e-----------------------------------------------------------

This isn't too hard because you are already barring the fifth fret with your index for the preceding chords using your other fingers to play the ascending melody and descending bass line then you just slide the index back to barre the second and use the middle and ring finger to land on the third and fourth fret respectively.
{Edit} - It's similar to barring a Bm7 chord - Bm chord second fret without the pinky{/edit}

It's one of the first songs I learned to play. At the time I actually found Creep by Radiohead more challenging when I was starting out because I was playing it with all barre chords and I didn't have the hand strength to hold barre chords for an entire song and the muscles in my hand would fatigue before the song was finished and notes would deaden. Stairway was just a matter of training muscle memory through repetition. That was a long time ago now though.
Si
Brain. That's what TS is missing, a brain.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Brain. That's what TS is missing, a brain.

am i missing a heart?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Oh, no! People can't play a song intro that TS clearly thinks they should all know how to play! WHATEVER SHALL WE DO?!

Edit:
Once again, TS is actually...*wait for it*...missing something! YEAAAAHHH!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 9, 2013,
I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. We have a tab section, if you'd like to take a gander at that.
Im a rock guitarist and definitely know how to/can play that... And the solos

I don't what the point gets?
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
In Southern California during the mid-eighties,that intro piece was a mandatory part of the motor vehicle drivers' exam.
Quote by MaXiMuse
And what if you play it with your ring finger instead of your pinky?

you'regoingothaveabadtime.jpg
In reality, TS is grossly unemployed and has no friends.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think you've used the word "reality" thinking it means "my opinion based solely on my extremely limited experience of the subject".

Just to be clear, it doesn't mean that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
eh, I really don't think we needed you to tab it out and explain it..

I can play it, and I bet most people in this thread can too.
Quote by steven seagull
I think you've used the word "reality" thinking it means "my opinion based solely on my extremely limited experience of the subject".

Just to be clear, it doesn't mean that.

Quote by fortytew
Just learn the live version and do a lot of drugs
people wont care if its right.

He's got the right idea!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Who are these "most rock players" you speak of? Do you know them personally? Have you asked them?

Because I sure as beans have never seen anyone play Stairway any other way than finger-picked and using the pinky. Heck, that's how I played it when I first picked up the guitar.
Give TS a break guys. What he's saying is probably true considering stairway has been banned from every music store since the early nineties.

Proof:

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math