Bought a new strat back in January. Got really excited about finally having a guitar with a stable tremolo - obviously it wasn't going to be floyd-level stability, but I didn't need that much for what I wanted, and considering Jeff Beck got by with one when I saw him, it'll work - but over the months of having it, I've ended up hardtailing it just like my old strat.

I love having it there, but I can never think of anything creative to use the thing for. I hear people use them musically all the time, guys like Steve Vai and the aforementioned Guvnor make it like an entirely different instrument with them, but I can never think of anything to do with it when I play; it's just there.

Which brings me to my question: How the hell do I use a tremolo musically? How can I learn to do more with it than just divebombing when I'm bored?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I used mine with a bit of reverb for some jarring ambience, but that's me.
It's expression, man, just a little flare for your style. Don't overthink it.
OffsetOffset
You ever slide up to notes? replace the slide with the same thing on the trem. Depress and raise it up into the note, perhaps even combined with a slide. Just experiment, some people like to use them as a vibrato for chords.

Really just experiment, be prepared to spend a lot of time working on a very small and basic sound. Work on a single sound for a few weeks and then think of ways to fit it in, you will soon get the idea of where you want to go with it.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at May 10, 2013,
I prefer my guitars without tremolo-bridges, but on the rare occasion I use one, I like to add some depth to chords with it. Clean, of course.
i prefer using it for doing vibrato on chords, or exaggerated stuff in solos like this (not that i can do it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=j723qPG-qhA#t=77s

i often find other uses of it just kind of cheesy.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by necrosis1193
Which brings me to my question: How the hell do I use a tremolo musically? How can I learn to do more with it than just divebombing when I'm bored?

Well, since you mentioned Vai, I'll just state that he does a lot of "trem abuse", meaning he does things that aren't always the best idea to do even on a Floyd Rose.

But, a lot of people use trems to "bend". You can lower the trem and then pick the note, a la Jeff Beck. Vibrato on chords or harmonics is cool. Another cool thing is drastically change the pitch of a bend/slide.
Thanks for the info guys - especially DoubleBassCrash! - I really appreciate it. More info is always appreciated though!
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I like tight strings, so I can't bend up two steps. A trem allows me to shift my pitch up two steps without bending.

Just use the trem instead of bending. It's extremely simple to use musically when you think about the fact that using a trem and bending are almost identical effects. The trem just also allows you to bend down as well. You can reverse bend, but it's much more difficult.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X