I've recently discovered a problem with my Epiphone Les Paul, when i plug in a cable out to my pedal/amp i lose either the distortion, or all the sound all together, but it only happens in a certain position.

I've tried the same cables with another guitar (Cort X-6 SM) and i have no problem, so I'm sure it's the Les Paul, but what is the problem, is it something to do with the pickups or is it just something wrong with the jack entry? Should I simlpy take it to my local guitar shop or can i fix it on my own, they charge loads and aren't very good.

Quick example, Heavy distortion and effects provided by a Vox Tonelab EX into a clean Peavy Vypyr 30, and every time I move or jig the cable around in the socket on the guitar, it goes clean/mute.

(Please don't fill the replies with 'oh get a better amp' ect.. i only use to amplify the Tonelab, so i get better sounds than a Vox VT)
Go to your local guitar shop. It's most likely the jack and will be very cheap to fix. Like £10/$15.

Does it crackle?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at May 10, 2013,
A quick fix you can try before you take it to the shop for a repair.

1) Open up the socket and push the contact pin in. Make sure you don't push in too hard that it weakens too much or snaps. Just enough to tighten up.

2) Grab some contact cleaner, any hardware or electronics store should have this stuff and it's cheap and handy, and spray it directly onto your cable and push it in and out repeatedly.

If this doesn't work, take it to a repairer/guitar store to get it replaced.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"