I am looking into buying a new amp rig. At a local Sam Ash they have a Peavey Triple X with the foot switch for about $600, It sounded pretty good. I think it was plogged into a 6505 cab and sounded pretty good. However, they had a 5150 III 2x12 cab which I think I want to try it with. If I prefer the 5150 iii cab I think I might order the 4x12.

But this got me thinking, maybe I'd prefer the Evh 5150 III Mini head with a cheaper cab. Maybe the 6505 cab, something in the $600 range.

So in your opinion would it be better to get the Peavey or the 5150 III with a cheaper cab? Unfortunatey I can't try the 5150 in person. My main concern with that amp is that there apparently is some volume jump between The clean and rhythm channel. Which could be fine if its a small jump because I think my clean sound has always been a little quieter. But if the tone is a lot better I would definitely go for the 5150. From what I remember though the Triple X did sound pretty decent to me. I am hoping that some people on this forum have owned at least one of these amps, if you have can you please share your experiences? I am not sure which one would be the better buy. Thank you in advance
The Peavey 6505 cab is by no means a cheap cab, atleast in the UK it's one of the most expensive cabs around, not far off double the price of a Marshall 1960A! The 6505 cabs (if anything like the 5150 cabs) are extremely well built (and heavy as a result) though the Sheffield speakers are perhaps not the most popular.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
The XXX and EVH cab would be the wiser move, I think, as far as the future is concerned.

However, every piece contributes... And a lot of it depends on your own ears. There isn't a clear cut answer to this, unfortunately.

Both heads are good heads, but the EVH is clearly a better cab stock. I think that the 5150 III is an objectively better head than the XXX. But you might prefer the tone of the XXX yourself. As I said, neither head is bad.

Maybe try listening to clips of both amps?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah I'm sorry lol. I think that cab was used at Sam Ash which lowered the price a good amount. I've been reading a lot about how people say don't go cheap on cabs. I didn't know exactly what that meant. In all reality if it sounds good who cares. I think I just need to try the Tripe X again and I'll probably buy it. I always seem to hesitate before buying gear because I don't do it often.
I've been listening to a lot of clips lately and I love the 5150. But I think that ultimately I can get there with the Triple X, Especially because of the Active Eq. It seems like for whatever reason some people really like the Triple X or don't. But its all objective. I'm just not sure if that amp can do a 80s rock or Marshall tone, that's what I would like to set the rhythm channel for.
Good speakers can definitely help a lot, but as long as you're not getting something like an MG cab or a Spider cab, I think you'll be fine.

I think my Sheffields are fine. Yes, I'll eventually replace them, but I don't think they actively hurt my tone. Simply that they hold it back.

...Maybe that's just a matter of perspective though.

EDIT: The XXX will do 80's all day long on the Crunch channel. It won't do 5150 though. Only a 5150 can do 5150. 5150 III is a totally different beast though, if you're talking about that. I don't have enough experience with the III to say much about it, other than it's a good amp, haha.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 10, 2013,
To be honest the only reason I wasn't sure about the 6505 is because I tried that head and didn't like it. But to be fair I think they had it hooked up to a line 6 cab. Maybe thats what did it for me.
Awesome! I'm glad you told me that lol I definitely want the 80s tone. The 5150 tone is awesome but I can have something that sounds different. The amp has a lot of gain I found myself not going past noon with the gain.
No, it's a good amp. It's just not for a lot of people. I can't stand it. Way too bright and harsh. But it can be tamed with JJs/EQ. And if you can manage to dial it in, you can get good tones like in that video.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
This is a dumb question but wouldn't lowering the treble work? Its cool anyways I tend to like a pretty bright sound and keep the gain around the middle.
The thing that I'm indifferent about is the trucker girl plate lol. I might want to switch it to diamond plate or something.
It's hard to find a sweet spot. It has an active EQ as well, so the EQ in general is just a bitch to deal with. I hate active EQ. Makes no sense.

EDIT: Have you considered the 3120 then? It's the same exact amp as the XXX, except it doesn't look obnoxious.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah I've considered the 3120 but the cosmetics don't matter so much that I would spend an extra $300. I would rather try doing something to it myself. I've seen some cosmetic mods that make it look pretty cool and it looks easy to do.
Last edited by BackInTheNam at May 10, 2013,