Hi, i play guitar and sing in a punk/ metal band. We have very much energy in our music, and at the 7. June we will be most likely warming up for a bigger band from our area. We are going to play 4 original songs (maybe a zz top cover too), and im really nervous about what im gonna say between songs. Im a little bit of an insecure person and i feel like im either going to say some really embarising stuff, or not say anything (wich willl be both akward and boring). So is there any articles/ videos about this, or do any of you have any experience to share? Thanks
Did you ever listen to, or care about what someone said between songs? Remember that your audience isn't going to give a crap.

Like with your music, it'll help with nerves for talking if you practice a bit. Know what you are going to say, even if its "This song is called X", or just "Thanks. Here's another new song.." If the audience responds by cheering, clapping or not throwing things, remember to say "Thanks". That's about it. Do you really need to say more than that? If so, then maybe "Here's a song we wrote a couple of months ago, about some strange furry thing I found in the back of my refridgerator. It's called "It might be a carrot"".

Just get on with playing after that. You are not there to make eloquent speeches. At the end, say "Thanks a lot, hope you enjotyed yourselves, you've been great. We are Bandname. THanks again. And now we're gonna make way for Band X, let's hear it for band X"
Last edited by innovine at May 10, 2013,
Just make jokes about yourself like how insecure you are about talking etc.

Chances are many people in the audience will understand as I doubt they'd feel totally comfortable in that situation.

And yeah, if you write your own stuff then its always interesting to hear what its about.
"Thanks for coming out! We are [your band name]! Give it up for [next band's name]!"

Actually I find it excruciating when musicians yak about how uncomfortable they are on stage or what their songs are about. You're on stage, own it.
Ask an internet forum where nobody has any experience playing shows?!

I kid,

I've played quite a few, and still stay am in no position to give advise on this matter because I always say dumb shit.

Obviously, think about what you're saying, talk about how you either wrote the songs or how the band got together, or a funny quick story.

Bottom line, it takes a long time to really feel comfortable on stage to where you can talk and it doesn't sound forced. Ive been in a few bands and I haven't seen anyone (lead singer or not), who is just really fluid with a crowd naturally
I never like doing it either, so I just go with "Thanks", and maybe "This song is called (name)".

The way I see it, the less time you spend talking the more time you have for playing. When I'm watching local bands, I always hate when they spend ages between songs. Have your set list ready & just rip through it with as little stoppage time as possible.

Also....
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Bottom line, it takes a long time to really feel comfortable on stage to where you can talk and it doesn't sound forced.

This.

That doesn't just go for bands either, it counts for any form of public speaking - even just when I'm presenting to people I know at work I take a little while to get into it if I haven't done it for ages.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Keep it to a minimum. A simple "we are so and so, thanks for coming out". Half way through the set do the "everyone doing alright out there? We got a few more songs for you." Then before the last song "thanks everyone for listening, come hang out with us after the show, we got one more for you. Stick around we got so and so going on in a few minutes".

Simple, you don't want to be talking through every song, ideally as a new or local band you should want to cram as much music into your set as possible. You can even do the talking bits in the intros or while the band does a little groove before going into the next song.
Try watching Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day on YouTube. Great at between song chat. If you need to stop the show for a second, ask the drummer to tell a bad joke.
general rule of thumb: say as little as you need to. plan your breaks in the set ahead of time - if you have to switch guitars/tunings, for example, at some point in the set - and hammer in the bare minimum key points (your band's name being the brunt of this). if anything isn't natural, don't force it cause the audience will sense your apprehension.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
general rule of thumb: say as little as you need to. plan your breaks in the set ahead of time - if you have to switch guitars/tunings, for example, at some point in the set - and hammer in the bare minimum key points (your band's name being the brunt of this). if anything isn't natural, don't force it cause the audience will sense your apprehension.

Yeah, this is the best way to go when you're opening for a bigger band unless you're REALLY confident in your skills. If the unlikely situation arises where you have to say something, make it about the audience. Tell them they're great, say you saw some fun stuff going on out there, thank them for coming out, etc. You're already on shaky ground as an opening band; it's best to not take chances.
Quote by TheHydra
Yeah, this is the best way to go when you're opening for a bigger band unless you're REALLY confident in your skills. If the unlikely situation arises where you have to say something, make it about the audience. Tell them they're great, say you saw some fun stuff going on out there, thank them for coming out, etc. You're already on shaky ground as an opening band; it's best to not take chances.

to extend on this, you're not gonna just start out being the headliner that anybody cares about. you gotta earn this, so by the time you're in a position where people want to hear what you have to say it'll likely be a natural progression
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
When people see someone on stage they usually expect a confident, charismatic figure, and I'm sorry dude but its always been this way. Don't worry though, everyone who appears to be in that way didn't start out charismatic, Hitler even had a guide who helped him with techniques.

I might be wrong but I think everyones a little nervous before going on stage, or they're already intoxicated. As for talking between songs in general, just have a little idea or plan of short stories that lead to the songs.

An example I've done is when I played a couple cover songs with my band and then we showed the audience our own song, I just said "Now here's our little contribution to rock n' roll, this one's called xxx"
"Eyeballs deep in muddy water, fucking hypocrite."

Check out my drum covers.
Quote by NapalmBreakfast
When people see someone on stage they usually expect a confident, charismatic figure, and I'm sorry dude but its always been this way. Don't worry though, everyone who appears to be in that way didn't start out charismatic, Hitler even had a guide who helped him with techniques.

I might be wrong but I think everyones a little nervous before going on stage, or they're already intoxicated. As for talking between songs in general, just have a little idea or plan of short stories that lead to the songs.

An example I've done is when I played a couple cover songs with my band and then we showed the audience our own song, I just said "Now here's our little contribution to rock n' roll, this one's called xxx"

this post made me throw up.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by NapalmBreakfast
Hitler even had a guide who helped him with techniques.

Godwinned.
drill your band so that you go stright into the next tune. get in the habit of no downtime between songs. if and when you do have down time, plan for it. Work on it at home and have some ideas already for things you might want to talk about. They might be short anecdotes about things that happened leading up to writing the song. It might be about why you chose a certain name for the song. It might be a funny story about what happened with the band. It might be a complete fantasy. Its up to you - but plan ahead and work out more or less what you will say before the show. Perhaps even work it into band practice. Have the band practice the show as a set, not just a bunch of separate songs. Practice getting the band to play a vamp while you introduce the tune. Make sure everyone has a setlist and above all - avoid dead/down time between songs like the plague. Standing around looking like a dumbass is often the difference between pros and amateurs.
I heard Dave Grohl say "Someone out there's smokin reefer, I can smell it"