Hi all!

Looking for some advice on replacement humbuckers for a 1976 Greco Spacey Sounds Thinline Telecaster. Great guitar feel wise, but I'm finding I want a thicker sound which I'm just not getting from the wide range pickups that are in there at the moment. They just seem so middle of the road, as if they don't know whether they are a single coil or a humbucker. I've got my strat for single coil tones, so I want to put true humbuckers into the tele (I am aware I may need to have the guitar routed to fit humbuckers, and need either a new pickguard or mounting rings to make it happen, that's okay!)

Was thinking either a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, or maybe a Seth Lover in the Neck and a JB in the bridge?

Just looking for a good rock tone really, nice cleans, nice round tone. Not being used for crazy high gain or metal, just rock and blues!

Open on any suggestions. Would love to have thrown a set of Bareknuckle riff raffs in there, but they are mighty pricey!

Cheers!
Bicko
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonerider British Distortion
Tonerider American Overdrive
Boss DD7
Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker
Treble Booster.
If they are proper-sized Wide Range pickups then you don't need to get any routing done, you just need a new pickguard cut so fit the smaller standard humbucker size. The rout for Wide Range pickups is already big enough.

For rock and blues in a Thinline, I'd go for standard PAF copies voiced for just a tiny bit more brightness; a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover for the neck and Pearly Gates or '59 in the bridge should do the trick.
You might want to look at Fender's own current Wide Range pickups, though, since they actually are normal humbuckers just in a bigger case, with the gaps filled in with wax. Their spec is very close to classic humbucker specs. They're nothing like actual 70s Wide Range pickups, but they are the exact same size. If a plain, standard humbucker sound is all you want then they'd be worth picking up, saves you changing pickguard.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^As much as I love their(his?) pickups, OP already had proper Wide Range pickups and is looking to get away from that sound.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've had a look at The Creamery stuff and yeah I want to avoid Wide Range Pickups. I haven't found any samples that seem to nail what I'm after. They just seem to be the middle ground between a single coil and a humbucker and I'm after something a little fuller sounding!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
That's because Wide Range pickups are halfway between normal single coil and normal humbucker construction. Two coils but 12 separate magnets. Taking two normal single coils and wiring them together in series gives you the same effect.

So yes, just go for normal humbucker construction; things like the SD Seth Lover and '59 are godd classic rock/blues humbuckers that will require a new pickguard or the modern Fender production 'Wide Range' humbuckers will fit the existing pickguard and they are made just like a normal humbucker inside, they do not have the 12 magnets of the old-style Wide Range.
Any thoughts on installing a JB/59 combination into the tele?

Seems like a classic combo, just not sure if it would work in a telecaster.

Any other pickup suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
Last edited by bicko19 at May 13, 2013,
I always thought thinline teles would sound, well, thinner than normal teles. Turns out that isn't the case.

Personally, I wouldn't want to change the pickguard and routing, but I'm sure the JB/59 combination would work quite nicely.
The JB has a lot of output and is quite shrill. The '59 also has considerably more output and treble than your typical rock and blues pickup. I would use the '59 in the bridge of a Thinline, not the neck; personally, I would not use the JB in a Thinline at all. It's more of an 80s rock pickup, really.

It wouldn't be the worst set you could use, but unless you really want as much output as possible and are using a very dark amp, it's a bit pointless.