Page 1 of 2
Hails to you. GG&A gods. I used to troll these pages years ago. And from all that trolling I've learned about tone. I am currently running a 6505 and a carvin v30 412. I play modern metal/death metal. And I love my rig but I can't always take it with me. And anyone who has had to use back line will agree. I am basically looking to build a pedal board to use at backline shows. Something I can plug into any amp and get "my sound". Or as close to it.

Basically which distortion pedals don't suck! I would like to keep it under 150. I also need a delay. Wah. And pitch shift. I would like to keep each pedal under 150 or so.

Thank you for any help.
Delay- TC flashback, Malekko Ekko, carbon copy.

Wampler has a few decent dirt pedals. Bogner just released a few as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Agreed, bogners are good. Also, Boss Metal Zone, I think it's the only decent pedal they have. I also have a Marshall Shredmaster, they're discontinued but you can find used ones online. They have great control over tone.
Quote by TheGuitarGuyBr
Agreed, bogners are good. Also, Boss Metal Zone, I think it's the only decent pedal they have. I also have a Marshall Shredmaster, they're discontinued but you can find used ones online. They have great control over tone.

Everything you just said is now incorrect.
Even the parts that are true.

The metalzone is the WORST pedal they have.

Their best is the CE-2

Best distortion?
Suhr Riot.
Hands down
Boss Metalzones only sound good when you stack them. Also AMT Drive
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 metal pedal seems to be very good, but I havent heard one live, only clips. Still, check it out.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 10, 2013,
Why not get a small head you can take?

Look at the Krank Rev Jr/K-stein Jr, they are $300ish used and only weigh 20lbs. I have the 1980 Jr and it is 20watts that are loud as hell. I play in a Prog-metal b and and normally use a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100, the 1980 Jr easily keeps up with a Mesa Recto 1/2 stack and an Ampeg SVT-3 with 8x10 and drums. I have the amps volume just over 1/2 and I can be heard just fine.

If you need a pedal, AMT Legend series pedals or the New Bogner red and blue pedals are really nice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by darkwolf291

Their best is the CE-2

Best distortion?
Suhr Riot.
Hands down

MT-2 is not that bad.
Quote by JackovSlayer
MT-2 is not that bad.

It is for anything other than death metal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you want wah, check out dunlop crybaby wahs, something like 535Q will surely satisfy you. If I was buying delay, I would try MXR carbon copy, maybe some boss digital delay pedals, I saw a lot of people using them.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Well, he plays thrash/death. I have MT-2, I don't think it's the best pedal around, but I still think you can get some good sounds out of it.
Hm-2>mt-2
Marching in this labyrinth village
Troll-king claims his maverick throne
Wretching in his cavernous castle
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!
Quote by Gene-Ocide
Hm-2>mt-2

As standalone distortion, nah. Supplementing good amp distortion, oh yes!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
A Proco turbo rat is a good choice works well with most amps. A Jekyll and Hyde isn't a bad choice either plus you get a 808 clone for your 6505. Wahs are really a preference and what are you looking for in a pitch shifter
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Just get a POD HD500 and run it into the return of whatever amp you have to use, or straight into the PA. You will never get any amount of consistency trying to run a standalone pedal into the front of some random amp.

Quote by darkwolf291

Their best is the CE-2

Best distortion?
Suhr Riot.
Hands down

The MT-2 is better than the Metalcore pedal. At least the Metalzone has SOME semblance of mids.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 10, 2013,
What sort of gigs are you playing where you can't take your own rig? I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but I've never experienced it myself. In fact, if a venue told me I couldn't I simply wouldn't play there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
Don't insult death metal like that. Ugh, I just can't stand the metal zone for anything other than a boost. With the gain down low, it can boost a good amp into death metal sexiness, but when it's alone it sounds like digitalized crap.

Quote by Offworld92
Just get a POD HD500 and run it into the return of whatever amp you have to use, or straight into the PA. You will never get any amount of consistency trying to run a standalone pedal into the front of some random amp.

This is the best advice in the thread.
Quote by Offworld92

THE BEST ADVICE OF THIS THREAD....
thank you offworld that was getting painfull
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Offworld92

+1
]
ooo. like this. will be brainstorming. 150 cuts out a lot fo top end stuff, but still allows solid pedals. finding the best GOOD distortions and delays for 150 is a challenge....

keyword good. and unique.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Ditch the 4x12 for a 2x12.
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Quote by Cathbard
What sort of gigs are you playing where you can't take your own rig? I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but I've never experienced it myself. In fact, if a venue told me I couldn't I simply wouldn't play there.

It's happened to me once because 5 bands were on a bill and they wanted people to use the same amp to save time on sound checking and setup. The amps they provided were a Dual Rec and a JCM 2000 DSL tho so I sure as hell didn't complain . Could still use my pedals tho
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Sounds dreadfully amateurish to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JackovSlayer
If you want wah, check out dunlop crybaby wahs, something like 535Q will surely satisfy you.

535Q is a fantastic wah, but not in this case. It can't handle the gain. I use an OCD as my main OD/distortion in a ska-punk band and if I use my wah in conjunction with it I can't get a response out of it.

If you're looking into Crybabies I suggest looking into the Kirk Hammet and Zakk Wylde sig models. Or Morley's. I've never played one but I've been told that they can handle gain pretty well.

Also, +1 to the Bogner red box distortion. It's pretty cool.
Quote by Cathbard
Sounds dreadfully amateurish to me.

Yeah I guess. It was weird since it's like one of the biggest Punk/Rock/Metal venues in Edmonton.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
535Q is a fantastic wah, but not in this case. It can't handle the gain.

I wouldn't say that's true. I saw a lot of people who play metal and use it, I think Dimebag Darrell's signature crybaby was actually based on a 535Q.
Quote by JackovSlayer
If you want wah, check out dunlop crybaby wahs, something like 535Q will surely satisfy you. If I was buying delay, I would try MXR carbon copy, maybe some boss digital delay pedals, I saw a lot of people using them.

I have the 535q and I don't really like it. I bought it for the sake of needing a wah and wish I would have tried a few out before buying. I much prefer the MC404 from MXR after getting a chance to try one. Try a few out if possible.

I have the MXR carbon copy, and it's a nice pedal, I use it often. Really can't go wrong with it.
Quote by scguitarking927
I have the 535q and I don't really like it. I bought it for the sake of needing a wah and wish I would have tried a few out before buying. I much prefer the MC404 from MXR after getting a chance to try one. Try a few out if possible.

I have the MXR carbon copy, and it's a nice pedal, I use it often. Really can't go wrong with it.

Did you try to get a good sound using those knobs on 535Q?
Quote by scguitarking927

The only problem I have with it is that when I'm recording sometimes it clips even if I have the boost all the way off. Other than that I like it. I got it for like, $60 so I can't complain much.

Also, +1 to the Carbon Copy. It's a nifty analog pedal. I'm also a fan of the Boss DD pedals. Except I think the DD-7 is like, $160 so that's kind of reaching out there.
on the cheap end, mooer pedals, EHX memory toy (vintage analog), red witch 7 sisters violet, BOSS, aqua puss (analog), Carl Martin Red Repeat, CMAT MODS delay (digitally modeled analog?), malekko 616, carbon copy, TC flashback.

with a $150 hard stop thats about as good as you can find. delays are expensive, really hard to get top quality less than 200 and on the high end 250+

there...have fun on youtube.

OD.....thats harder. ocean to sift through.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at May 13, 2013,
Quote by evmac
It's happened to me once because 5 bands were on a bill and they wanted people to use the same amp to save time on sound checking and setup. The amps they provided were a Dual Rec and a JCM 2000 DSL tho so I sure as hell didn't complain . Could still use my pedals tho

5 bands on a bill seems alot. Go with a modelling pedal like the Pod HD. Keep your patches. And just bring your amp anyway. Promoters aren't as hard to convince face to face as they are over the internet.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Thank you guys for all the ideas and help!!! Ok it seems those of you who understand what I'm doing have a good idea with the pod HD. I'm going to look into that. As much as I hate going all digital it should clean up nice in a fx loop of a tube amp. And ya it's not even a "you can't use your amp" thing. It's just that sometimes it's all back lined to save time between bands. Or it's a out of town gig and it makes it easier for travel. Also as for the q wah I've found it adds to much fizz gain.
But thanks again for everyone's help. One other thing. I have a line on a egnatet tour master 4100 that I can't go try until next week( STUCK AT WORK!) What do y'all think of these. I can't find many reviews on them in regards to metal tones.
I use a rack unit - the Digitech GSP1101 for this very reason- it awesome. When I use my rig it has all my delays, choruses, etc and when I have to use back line, I turn on the Amp and Cab modeling. I have to banks of presets the are identical - one has no amp/cab and the other does - all the patch numbers line up so it's easy to remember. So with my rig its patches 10-19 and without (back line) it's 20-29
In fact it's so bad ass I use it to rehearse with - we're using a JamHub, so for rehearsal I go direct out of it to the JamHub and then on the road it's either just my effects or my entire rig.
I use an Egnater Armageddon btw, and it's not hard if you spend a little time with the processor to get a good simulated tone.
You can get those Digi's used all the time in your price range.
LIVE RIG
Egnater Armageddon | Primary/A-side
412B | 2 GT12-75 + 2 Hot 100 in an X pattern
Carvin MTS-3200 | Secondary/B-side
412B | 4 Hot 100 Celestions
Digitech GSP1101
Korg DTR2000
Behringer FCB1010
Dunlop Mark Tremonti Wah
Quote by Cathbard

Any real touring professional musician including bigger name national recording acts will tell you how difficult it is sometimes to travel with ALL of there gear. This is espescially true when you do not have a lot of funding to pay for the extra travel expenses of hauling a lot of gear and luggage so it is very common for clubs to provide a backline of ampflifiers, drums, PA, etc etc for bands to use when they play at there venue. We would all much rather use our own rigs of course, but sometimes on the road that is just not feasible. Your lucky if you can even bring more then one guitar and a few pedals.

But anyway, So far the best idea is the POD IMO. Lots of flexibility and economy in all departments.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver anniversary edi.
Marshall JCM900 4100
Line 6 flextone 2 head
Marshall 1960b Cabinet
Carvin G412 Cabinet

1976 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe
1989 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender MIJ Strat
Fender MIM Strat
if i was going digital...instead of buying a stage worthy amp and a stage worthy multi FX or all digital units....

i would just buy an Axe FX. sure its a nice chuck O change. but adding up the sum of the above scenario will be equal to or so to it.....and AXE FX is PRO LEVEL gear.....a pod is...well, still marginally acceptable (when compared to Axe FX quality).

pound per pound if your going all digital and super portable for touring, Axe FX almost pays for itself (if you can pony up the dough)
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by ikey_
if i was going digital...instead of buying a stage worthy amp and a stage worthy multi FX or all digital units....

i would just buy an Axe FX. sure its a nice chuck O change. but adding up the sum of the above scenario will be equal to or so to it.....and AXE FX is PRO LEVEL gear.....a pod is...well, still marginally acceptable (when compared to Axe FX quality).

pound per pound if your going all digital and super portable for touring, Axe FX almost pays for itself (if you can pony up the dough)

price has came down a lot on the first series. of course AXE 2 is better, but i would take any axe 1 over a pod.

if it were me i would go 11r, i like how they work with protools (i know that some don't like that), but i have a community college that has a certification degree (15 cr/hr) with protools. i will do it one of these semesters.

as if 5 years of school and three degrees hasn't been enough, but it will be worth it once i get my home studio assembled at some point.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by TheCalvinator
Any real touring professional musician including bigger name national recording acts will tell you how difficult it is sometimes to travel with ALL of there gear. This is espescially true when you do not have a lot of funding to pay for the extra travel expenses of hauling a lot of gear and luggage so it is very common for clubs to provide a backline of ampflifiers, drums, PA, etc etc for bands to use when they play at there venue. We would all much rather use our own rigs of course, but sometimes on the road that is just not feasible. Your lucky if you can even bring more then one guitar and a few pedals.

That's a bit different to being told that you're not allowed to. **** that noise.

And yeah - Pod HD.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 15, 2013,
sometimes you don't want to run the backline, so you should bring your shit.

i was playing somewhere in orlando, and was told that they provided the amps and it was about two hours from my house. i bought my dual terror just in case, not bad sounding, really light , really small and not a hassle. guess what the back line was full of. 100 watt MG halfstacks. seriously. i told the sound guy i wasn't going to play on one of those, and luckily he had no problem mixing in the orange. however, my rhythm guitarist was on an MG. it was terrible.

he learned his lesson and picked up a valve king in case of emergency.

i saw a backline of MG's somewhere else too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's unheard of over here. Most places don't even have a PA.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification