Hi everyone, although I've been to this site many times I am brand spanking new on the forum. I've been playing guitar for many years and have purchased many guitars along the way,most recently I found a used Washburn N1 (Green one no less) at a local Guitar Center which after trading some stuff in I got for the whopping price of $37
Since I trust you guys to give me some good info/answers/advice here goes....
Recently I've been on a "cheap guitar" kick and have 3 in mind that are under the $200 range and would like to know what you guys think (specially if you own/have owned any of them) of which is the better one.
Jackson JS23 Dinky
Kramer Baretta Special
Charvel Desolation DS-3
Charvel Skatecaster SK-3 (is actually $299)

Jackson is the bigger name among them and the Kramer is a 2013 model that will be out in June,I have no experience with Charvel's.
Thanks !!!
John
Sterling S.U.B. Silo3

Nothing else even comes close in that price range. It's one of the finest sub-$700 (new) guitars I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of 'em.

$199 pretty much everywhere.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Cort makes excellent cheap guitars. ESP-LTDs cheap models can also be great if you manage to get a good one (QC varies). I dont intent to get rid of my F-50, ever. Neck is great, finish is great and after pickup swap it also sounds great. Just avoid ones with Floyd Rose.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 10, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Cort makes excellent cheap guitars. ESP-LTDs cheap models can also be great if you manage to get a good one (QC varies). I dont intent to get rid of my F-50, ever. Neck is great, finish is great and after pickup swap it also sounds great. Just avoid ones with Floyd Rose.

+1
Quote by MaaZeus
ESP-LTDs cheap models can also be great if you manage to get a good one (QC varies). I dont intent to get rid of my F-50, ever. Neck is great, finish is great and after pickup swap it also sounds great. Just avoid ones with Floyd Rose.

Amen to that. I have an MH100-QMNT that I picked up used at GC for $130 a couple years ago. I picked it up and sat down with it for a minute and it was just awesome. I've since then put a Duncan Custom in the bridge(since thats the only pickup I use) and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played and I've owned Gibsons and high end Ibanezes and played plenty of other stuff. I guess when you get a good one, you really get a good one.
I've got an ESP LTD EC-50 thats a great guitar for $199. I'ts an LP style that sounds, plays, sustains and looks great. The bolt on neck is not the tightest fit I've ever seen, but it holds tune and sustains forever so I guess it's a non-issue
I wouldnt call myself the most skilled guitarist or the most knowledgeable on the performance of electric guitars across the board, but I just started playin again a few months ago and i went to a local guitar center and go a Epiphone Les Paul Special II for 150 bucks and ive quite enjoyed it, great sound compared to my old beat up 1990 fender stratocaster
Don't buy anything in that price range with a locking trem, those guitars cost less than my tremolo system does on its own, something has to give for them to put together a guitar at that price, usually the locking trem in those cases turns out to be garbage.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I personally would probably do the DS-3 out of those choices but like someone else said the EBMM Sub are pretty nice for the price. Also if you are on a cheap guitar kick *ive never got off of mine* maybe check out rondomusic.com. This is my favorite place to hunt down cheap guitars aside from Craigslist
Quote by Bigbazz
Don't buy anything in that price range with a locking trem, those guitars cost less than my tremolo system does on its own, something has to give for them to put together a guitar at that price, usually the locking trem in those cases turns out to be garbage.

Definitely this. Personally I only buy fixed bridge guitars anyways.
Thanks so much so far for all of the ideas...I'll have to do my research. No replies on the Jackson J23 so is that not a good one to look into ? I'm leaning towards the Kramer but like I said I at least have better options that I originally had...and I wouldn't go fancy w/a Floyd on a cheap guitar,it's like expecting 5 dollars worth of beef in your Taco Bell 79 cent Taco LOL !!!