So... I wasn't quite sure where to post this and if I should, but I figured why not try ?

I always read how many of great guitarists had mentors that basically had them under their wing as their protigee and I would absolutely love to have someone be that to me.

I could go out and hire a guitar teacher.. but that isn't what I want. I want a personal connection with someone, not someone who has other students and I am just another student. I want just a 1 : 1 and that is all... and I believe anyone that has the skill and experience to be able to do this will be able to see my great potential.. i hope.

How would this work? Well, the only thing I can think of would be to video chat.

If you wanted to see my potential, where I am at now, how much I have progressed in how much time, what I have done and what I can do and what you think I can achieve and if you would want to possibly do this and talk to me to get a better understanding of what guitar means to me and what I want to do with it, then please comment back or message me!

I would love to show any possible mentors out there that would want to do this, what my potential is and further my career in music.

Thank you very much

Nick
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
...So, you figured you'd just ask a bunch of strangers on the internet, huh?

you learned everything you know from a bunch of strangers on the internet
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Hey boobs... thats quite a cool thing to ask. Not many brave souls would do this. Get in touch with Sean as Alan suggested. It's something I wish I had the opportunity to do when I was a kid all those 73 years ago.
Thanks everyone

I really appreciate everyone of the replies.. even the negative one.. since I am going to get negative comments all the time throughout my life , and my musical career , so best to accept them and just not fret about them.

Thanks for the suggestions for those who replied to help, and thank you so much to Sean! I will send you a PM now and hopefully we can set something up VERY soon! I am very excited to start something and get going!

And to answer the question "You figure to ask a bunch of strangers on the internet?" . Everyone is a stranger until you meet them . How are you going to find friends, contacts, band members, mentors, etc. if you don't first meet them as people you don't know and have that relationship evolve into something more meaningful?

I mean, this site as a whole is one giant town/city swimming pool full of strangers, sure you can watch and creep from outside the water and just tan . But until you start to talk and involve yourself, i.e jump in the pool, everyone is a stranger and so are you.
The problem is that I don't know how you create a real mentor/protege relationship without it starting from an organic appreciation of what each other is doing.

Also, be aware that wanting a mentor is dangerous. It can be a symptom of a "short-cut" mentality, or of the desire to abdicate responsibility for your own development.
Quote by Hail
you learned everything you know from a bunch of strangers on the internet

OMG! How did you know?! My whole life is ruined.

Quote by HotspurJr
Also, be aware that wanting a mentor is dangerous. It can be a symptom of a "short-cut" mentality, or of the desire to abdicate responsibility for your own development.

This is the biggest issue with it. You -- and only you, TS -- can develop yourself. A mentor can help, but they can't make you do the work, only you can.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 13, 2013,
So you want your own exclusive guitar teacher for whom you are their only student and they are devoted to helping you and you alone develop as a musician, but you also don't want to pay?
Good luck with that.
Quote by BoogieShinbones
So you want your own exclusive guitar teacher for whom you are their only student and they are devoted to helping you and you alone develop as a musician, but you also don't want to pay?
Good luck with that.

Maybe if he's real cute.