I bought a marshall mg50cfx I like it. it sounds good to me. but it isn't a tube. I bought it for $400. now I'm thinking about upgrading to a dsl 40c. it's $700. I'd have to sell my amp on ebay for about $300.

So my question is. Strictly for recording purposes, is the upgrade worth $400? Will it sound THAT much better in my songs??

Thanks.
I listen to all types of rock. my favorite band is blindside. I play like every type of rock from heavy metal to soft stuff. at the moment that $700 amp is at the limit of my budget. Location? I live in philly. I will be using the guitar in my home studio to record music. I just dont want to spend $400 and then barely notice a difference in my recordings.
If your looking for an amp to record with I would find a flextone. Its based off of a vetta has all the usefull effects that sound good the amp has an awesome xlr cab sim out. For a studio amp its hard to beat.
Quote by desposito48
I bought a marshall mg50cfx I like it. it sounds good to me. but it isn't a tube. I bought it for $400. now I'm thinking about upgrading to a dsl 40c. it's $700. I'd have to sell my amp on ebay for about $300.

So my question is. Strictly for recording purposes, is the upgrade worth $400? Will it sound THAT much better in my songs??

Thanks.

You will be lucky to get $150 for you MG, they have shite resale value.

You might want to look at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear they have lots of used amps for really good prices.
They have a Krank 1980Jr head for $375 and a matching 1x12 cab for $125. This will shit on the DSL 40c

You may want to look at the Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 which is the original combo the DSL40c is based on, much better than the new DSL series and you can get them for $500ish

Only you can judge if the upgrade is worth it. GC does have a 30day return policy if you don't like the amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
DSL40c is surely going to sound better than the amp you have now. But that's if you can turn the volume up. Tube amps don't like to be silent, they can sound muddy at low volumes (at least mine does). If you're playing at home, 40 watt tube amp might be too loud to your family and probably your neighbours too if you turn it up. I know what I'm talking about, I have 15 watt tube amp, at home I can never turn the volume knob much up. And since you don't have much money, it really would be better for you to find something smaller and less powerful.
Quote by JackovSlayer
DSL40c is surely going to sound better than the amp you have now. But that's if you can turn the volume up. Tube amps don't like to be silent, they can sound muddy at low volumes (at least mine does). If you're playing at home, 40 watt tube amp might be too loud to your family and probably your neighbours too if you turn it up. I know what I'm talking about, I have 15 watt tube amp, at home I can never turn the volume knob much up. And since you don't have much money, it really would be better for you to find something smaller and less powerful.

Even 5 watt tube amp will sound pretty loud. Actually even 1 watts will if you are practicing alone. You can't crank it up without making your parents/neighbors/whatever (that don't play guitar) bitch (of course if you don't have any neighbors or parents, the wattage doesn't matter that much and you can play at as high volumes as you want). But many tube amps sound good at low volume, no matter what wattage. Low wattage doesn't equal good tone at low volumes, neither does high wattage equal bad tones at low volume. I have tried a DSL401 and it sounded pretty good at low volumes. One good thing about it is that it has channel and master volume controls so controlling your volume is easy (finding a good sound at low levels is a lot easier). My Laney VC30 only has channel volume controls so when you turn it up just a bit it goes from silent to loud. It doesn't even get that much louder when the volume is past 2 or 3.

But TS, your reason to buy a new amp is that your amp isn't a tube amp? If you like its tone, who cares if it's tube or not. Though a Marshall MG really isn't a great amp and there are lots of better options. But don't buy a new amp if you are satisfied with your tone. If other people say you need a new amp but you like the tones you can achieve, don't listen to them. It's your tone and you decide what you like.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at May 10, 2013,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Even 5 watt tube amp will sound pretty loud. Actually even 1 watts will if you are practicing alone. You can't crank it up without making your parents/neighbors/whatever (that don't play guitar) bitch (of course if you don't have any neighbors or parents, the wattage doesn't matter that much and you can play at as high volumes as you want). But many tube amps sound good at low volume, no matter what wattage. Low wattage doesn't equal good tone at low volumes, neither does high wattage equal bad tones at low volume. I have tried a DSL401 and it sounded pretty good at low volumes. One good thing about it is that it has channel and master volume controls so controlling your volume is easy (finding a good sound at low levels is a lot easier). My Laney VC30 only has channel volume controls so when you turn it up just a bit it goes from silent to loud. It doesn't even get that much louder when the volume is past 2 or 3.

But TS, your reason to buy a new amp is that your amp isn't a tube amp? If you like its tone, who cares if it's tube or not. Though a Marshall MG really isn't a great amp and there are lots of better options. But don't buy a new amp if you are satisfied with your tone. If other people say you need a new amp but you like the tones you can achieve, don't listen to them. It's your tone and you decide what you like.

I agree with most you've said, but still I think tube amps sound better when they're cranked up. At low volumes some will sound good, some will sound bad, I know this from my own experience.
Also, you tried DSl401, but he doesn't want to buy that amp, he is talking about DSL40C,
it's an amp from new DSL series. The amp you've tried is from older JCM2000 series (and it's probably better).
thanks guys. I was impatient I just ordered the DSL 40c. I hope it isn't too loud but if it is, it hass this switch to play the amp at half the wattage. I hope someone buys my amp for $300. from what im hearing. this amp is WAY better than the one I have. I hope it comes across in my recordings.
but if 15 watts is loud enough I could maybe have saved myself $100 and got the 15 watt one.
Quote by desposito48
but if 15 watts is loud enough I could maybe have saved myself $100 and got the 15 watt one.

It surely is loud enough, I know what I'm talking about, I have 15 watt marshall tube head, there is no way to turn the volume knob over 2 at home, someone would call the police.
If you can cancel the order, cancel it. Let us help you. Answer these questions here, and we'll be able to give you good suggestions. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Wattage is not a measure of volume, but a measure of headroom. Both a 15W amp and a 150W amp can shake walls and get the cops called on you. The difference wattage makes is how clean your amp will be at those volumes. A 150W amp with a well designed master volume will always be a MUCH better option for playing quietly in a bedroom than a 15W or 5W amp with a poorly designed master volume, or without a master volume at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 11, 2013,
well maybe i'll just keep it at the half power setting when im recording in my room and if I move my studio into a bigger space it will be good to have the 40 watts. I don't know.
You're missing the point. You have that backwards.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Wattage is not a measure of volume, but a measure of headroom. Both a 15W amp and a 150W amp can shake walls and get the cops called on you. The difference wattage makes is how clean your amp will be at those volumes. A 150W amp with a well designed master volume will always be a MUCH better option for playing quietly in a bedroom than a 15W or 5W amp with a poorly designed master volume, or without a master volume at all.
This. Generally speaking, taking the wattage x 10 doubles the perceived volume. If you double the wattage of an amp (with all else being equal), you'll only get an increase of about 3db, which is not much at all. It's kind of crazy to think that a 100W amp is only twice as loud as a 10W one, but it's true.

The reason you would want a 100W amp over a 50W one is not volume, but headroom, like Offworld is describing.
Last edited by ExDementia at May 11, 2013,
so higher wattage means like better sound audio at higher volumes. so then why is 40 watts too loud for my room?
Higher wattage USUALLY (by no means does it always) means a better sound at LOWER volumes.

But it's completely dependent on how well the master volume has been implemented in the circuit, and that statement generally applies to a high wattage amp with a master volume, vs a low wattage amp without a master volume.

Lower wattage equates to a better cranked, powreamp distortion sound at lower volumes, however "lower volumes" usually never means "bedroom volumes". If you crank a 5W amp, the cops can come.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
so what would sound better for recording in a small room. a 40 watt amp at half power or a 15 watt amp.
I don't have firsthand experience with the new DSLs yet, but out of the two, since you seem to be limiting yourself to that amp, the 40C is probably a better choice. The 15 uses 6V6 tubes, which I'm not totally familiar with, but the 40 uses good ol' EL34s. I think the 6V6 is a bit of a more classic tube, that combined with the low wattage means it probably isn't a great choice if you want to play anything on the heavier side.

A very important question to lay the foundation of your situation: How loud can you play? In terms of whisper, regular talking, small party, big party... give us a volume level we can try to relate to.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by desposito48
well maybe i'll just keep it at the half power setting when im recording in my room and if I move my studio into a bigger space it will be good to have the 40 watts. I don't know.

The half power setting won't be noticeably quieter. It will just give you power amp distortion a bit easier (that you won't get at bedroom levels). If you want power amp distortion (blues, classic rock), buy a low wattage amp. If you want pre amp distortion (hard rock, heavy metal), buy a high wattage amp. Both 15 watt and 40 watt versions won't give you power amp distortion at bedroom levels and I think both will sound as good/as bad at bedroom levels. It has nothing to do with wattage. A higher wattage amp will just sound cleaner at all volumes than a low wattage amp because it has more clean headroom. So you will be able to get clean sounds at high volumes too.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I know that it had already been stated but if you can cancel you order I would do so. You can get much better amps for the price you are shelling out for that Marshall. The new DSL series is not great, not bad, but not great. In my opinion it sort of replaced the MA series. Go with the older DSL401, much better amps.
You are going to have any people say that you can get a high wattage tube amp to sound great at low volumes, which is true, but you won't achieve those higher levels of saturation.
My TH30 is played in my house, I crank it when nobody is home, but it still sounds great at lower levels, and it has the ability to go to 30,15 or 7 watts.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
I know that it had already been stated but if you can cancel you order I would do so. You can get much better amps for the price you are shelling out for that Marshall. The new DSL series is not great, not bad, but not great. In my opinion it sort of replaced the MA series. Go with the older DSL401, much better amps.
You are going to have any people say that you can get a high wattage tube amp to sound great at low volumes, which is true, but you won't achieve those higher levels of saturation.
My TH30 is played in my house, I crank it when nobody is home, but it still sounds great at lower levels, and it has the ability to go to 30,15 or 7 watts.

Yeah, it completely depends on what kind of tones you are after. Not everybody wants power amp distortion and that's why they buy a high wattage amp.

If TS has no neighbors, wattage is not a problem (though if TS is after power amp distortion, I would still buy a lower wattage amp).

So TS, what kind of music do you play?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Not sure what the price in the states, but I would advise getting the amp I have for bedroom play, especially if you're into various music types.

H & K tubemeister 18, with switchs to 5 and 1 watt mode. I end up playing most of the time in 1, sometimes in 5 watt setting, but if I want more volume with a clean sound, I'll occasionnaly switch to 18.

and it will do pretty much every style of music decently, from clean tones up to metal.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
I play all types of rock. mostly distorted. but i want an amp that can do many different genres for when i record other people. i've heard really great things about the dsl.
Quote by desposito48
I play all types of rock. mostly distorted. but i want an amp that can do many different genres for when i record other people. i've heard really great things about the dsl.

Don't waste your time, go with modelling.

I'm a huge fan of software modelling when recording (using a DI), with freeware plugins like LePou, AcmeBargig, TSE, Redwirez, God's Cab and so on.

Most of my recent productions use freeware amp modelling software (since lately my clients keep turning up with really shitty amps ) and the bands get a lot of compliments on their tones: http://soundcloud.com/kjmay

You could also pick up a used Line6 Flextone for less than $300, superb amps that can do pretty much anything in both recording and gigging scenarios.

For home/hobbyist recording, modelling has a ton of advantages. You can record completely silently, you can mess with the tone as much as you like even after it's been recorded, and you can get studio-quality guitar tone without great mics, preamps and amplifiers.
Last edited by kyle62 at May 12, 2013,
i've tried stuff like amplitube and guitar rig and I don't like the way they sound compared to amps.
Maybe look into a Vypyr tube combo amp? They run about $300 used and are pretty solid.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13