Researching speakers.

I'm more or less set on what I want, but I'd also like external input based on what I play.

I'm mainly looking at WGS. Their prices are right, and MIA. I'd go Celestion only because they are so abundantly common and show up used often.

My style is basically modern death metal. Think The Black Dahlia Murder, Bloodbath. Clarity is important to me, because I also dabble a little bit in prog, with some large chords and what not.

My initial plan is WGS Veteran 30s and Reaper HPs in an X pattern, or with the Veterans on top and the Reapers on the bottom.

I'm now thinking HM75s might be a better mix with the Veteran 30s though?

It might be easier/cheaper to acquire used Celestion V30s/G12T75s though. Is anyone familiar with this mix?

I'm all about low mids and huge palm mutes. I hate harsh high ends, flabby bass, duck quack mids, and shrillness/thinness. Currently using a 6505, which is one of, if not my favorite amp, so I'm looking for a setup that just emphasizes what that amp is all about naturally.

I don't want to spend more than $70 on a speaker, used is very appealing to me. WGS are just hard to find used.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have Vet 30 and a swamp thang in my 2x12 and used it with your exact amp.

Loved it. V30's of any flavor are great with the 6505/5150.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I personally dislike T-75s and a mate of mine bought a Bogner cab with the V30/T75 X pattern and he hated it, replaced the T-75s with another 2 V30's to fix his problem and all was well. Though T-75s are everywhere (including in my Marshall cab) not a lot of people seem to like them that much, so I couldn't advise you to buy them, scoopped sounding speakers with a massive bottom and a fizzy top.

V30's all day anyday but steer clear of the T-75.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
vintage 30 and classic lead. I'm guessing the WGS versions would work too, but i haven't tried them.

the v30/g12k100 is also supposed to be good for that type of tone, but i haven't tried that combo. But out of what I have tried, the v30/cl80 combo is best for what you want (assuming you want to stick with british-sounding speakers).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've never really read about the Classic Leads being recommended for anything. I'm down to try them though.

I thought a lot of people liked the V30/T75 combo. Hm.

Shame WGS doesn't make a K100. I read it's pretty monstrous.

What about the G12H30?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well shit. Just accidentally won a pair of Reaper HPs (which are high power versions of the G12H30). The one time I DON'T get outbid on eBay....

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I've never really read about the Classic Leads being recommended for anything. I'm down to try them though.

Shame WGS doesn't make a K100. I read it's pretty monstrous.

What about the G12H30?

I do! It's in my Bogner cab and it goes very well with the Twin Jet and VH4. It smoothens the rawness of the QuickRod (EL34) if you want a change from the Splawn's Small Blocks or V30 412s. Hmmm. It makes the QR sound like a ProMod (KT88) through V30s.

Quote by Dave_Mc

the v30/g12k100 is also supposed to be good for that type of tone, but i haven't tried that combo. ...

More authoritative low Mids! If you want it a bit tighter, V30 and Swamp Thangs.

Quote by Offworld92
Well shit. Just accidentally won a pair of Reaper HPs (which are high power versions of the G12H30). The one time I DON'T get outbid on eBay....

D'oh!

Hit Confirm bid the last 4 seconds.

Where's 311?

Quote by Bigbazz
I personally dislike T-75s and a mate of mine bought a Bogner cab with the V30/T75 X pattern and he hated it, replaced the T-75s with another 2 V30's to fix his problem and all was well. Though T-75s are everywhere (including in my Marshall cab) not a lot of people seem to like them that much, so I couldn't advise you to buy them, scoopped sounding speakers with a massive bottom and a fizzy top.

V30's all day anyday but steer clear of the T-75.

Depends how you run them. A big Marshall into a wall of T75's sounds great for down and dirty pub rock. They're just not a metal speaker. In the right setting (and enough of them) they are good working man's speaker.

They're not for Offworld though. What did you score the Reapers for?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A lot of people say the Swamp Thangs are considered the best if you're looking for clarity. I'd say pair one with a Veteran 30 and you should be good to go.
Quote by Cathbard
Depends how you run them. A big Marshall into a wall of T75's sounds great for down and dirty pub rock. They're just not a metal speaker. In the right setting (and enough of them) they are good working man's speaker.

They're not for Offworld though. What did you score the Reapers for?

$135 shipped. I won't be able to make a profit on them.

I'm assuming it'll be fine as long as I run a pair of Vet 30s with them.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I reckon they'd sound good in my top box. Shame you're on the other side of the world or I'd take them off you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92

What about the G12H30?

the v30/g12t75 is a nice combo, but you said

Quote by Offworld92

I'm all about low mids and huge palm mutes. I hate harsh high ends, flabby bass, duck quack mids, and shrillness/thinness.

which, aside from the duck quack mids, pretty much describes the g12t75 to a tee. Granted, the v30 balances a lot of that out, but I still reckon the v30/CL80 combo would be way better for what you want.

i don't think the g12h30 is what you want, i reckon the classic lead would be better. The CL is (a bit) like a more modern-sounding g12h30.

Quote by Offworld92

you might as well try them, you may well like them.

Quote by Ippon

More authoritative low Mids! If you want it a bit tighter, V30 and Swamp Thangs.

never actually got as far as trying the swamp thang with a v30...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?