I'm a bit of a newbie, been playing bass on and off for about a year (I have a music background from school band growing up). I am a fan of SRV and Tommy Shannon typically played with his bass tuned down a half-step (Eb,Ab,Db,Gb). Since I only have one guitar and typically play in standard tuning, is there any issue with re-tabbing (in general, and "Pride and Joy" in particular)? It seems it's the same notes and same patterns, but is there any drawback to doing this? I don't want to have to down-tune for just one song.

Thanks.
I'm no expert but all I can really see it doing is it's going to sound a little off from the recording. A little higher pitched. All the notes you are playing will be a half step too high. That and your bends will be slightly more difficult due to the higher string tension (I don't know if that is an issue with a bass).
Quote by slash0102
I'm no expert but all I can really see it doing is it's going to sound a little off from the recording. A little higher pitched. All the notes you are playing will be a half step too high. That and your bends will be slightly more difficult due to the higher string tension (I don't know if that is an issue with a bass).

Not sure I quite understand. Even though I would be playing standard tuning, I would still play the same notes. For example, the opening riff starts out with F-D#-D-C walkdown, and this repeats several times. So if tuned EADG, the tab is A--8-6-5, then E --8; if tuned down a 1/2 step, it's Ab-7-5-4, followed by Eb -- 7. It's still the same notes. Is there that much of a difference in pitch? Not too worried about bends.
In that case there shouldn't be a problem. You will run into problems if you have to play an open string though.
Ok, thanks. There may come a day when I am ready to down-tune (or have another guitar to keep down-tuned :-) ). But for now, I'm just trying to get the notes right.