Hi guys,

I'm considering buying one of these :

Gibson Les Paul Standard 2013
http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_standard_2013_plus_db.htm

Or

ESP Eclipse-II Silver Burst
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_eclipse_ii_bk_ss_usa.htm

Both are within my price range (just) although the ESP tends to be a2/300 cheaper.
I mostly play rock, hard rock, metal and occasionally bluesy and indie stuff.
On paper the Gibson is the most versatile with the whole coil tapping tone options, but to be honest, I just tend to adjust the amp to get the sound and if it comes to that - changing pickups isn't much of a big deal.

Any recommendations, advice or good/bad stories on either guitar would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Blew1
Find and play them, no one will be able to tell which you prefer but you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
They're both awesome guitars, but feel very different to play.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
If you can afford a Gibson I'd say take the Gibson. There's something about a Gibson that other guitars don't have, it is the original after all.

Both are great guitars.

For the record, an Agile would be a distant option.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

For me I would edge it too the Les Paul because EMG's aren't my thing. That being said for the money you'd save getting the ESP you could drop a pair of Bare knuckle pickups in it and then the Gibby wouldn't stand a chance.
just give me a fender and let me rip
Until you put the BKP in the Gibson!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

They are both fine guitars, so you won't make a bad choice whichever one you choose. The Gibson will hold its value better, which is an important consideration if you are into horse-trading your guitars. It also provides bragging rights, which some people find important. On the other hand, the ESP has a thinner neck and - major plus here - an ebony fretboard. It is a remarkably fine-playing guitar. It also comes stock with EMGs, which some people prefer. For playability, I would go with the ESP - particularly if you are into the heavy sort of music.

That sure is one beautiful Les Paul, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Seems to me the music you play is varied enough to warrant the Les Paul over the Eclipse. Having said that, I love both those guitars.

Les Paul vs. ESP Eclipse... that's the kind of problem I'd love to have!
Does the Eclipse have the Gibson headstock weak-spot? If not, then that's something to consider.
Buy them both.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Thanks for the comments and advice guys.

FatalGear41 - I'm curious with the Gibson holding the value more aspect - as I've heard that ESP is going to go through a massive rebranding overhaul in the next few years which means guitars with the actual ESP logo will be much rarer. Would that make ESP's rarer and therefore more valuable as a result?

W4RPIG - I'm sorry could you please explain what exactly you mean with the headstock weakspot please?

Cheers again everyone
If it falls over and hits its head it may well crack. Google it.

Just don't drop it, ever. Get some Schaller strap locks and check them regularly, install them properly and don't ever drop it.

Oh yeah, don't ever drop it.

That being said, lots of people drop them and don't crack the head. Just be careful, it's vulnerable there. Don't worry too much about it, it's in no way a deal breaker unless you throw guitars head first to the ground as a hobby.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at May 10, 2013,
These two guitars really are not comparable. The thinner body and neck of the ESP give it a sound more akin to a Gibson SG than a Gibson Les Paul. Not to mention how much Gibsons can vary; never buy a Gibson online, you don't know if you're getting one with a thin neck, thick neck, heavy body, light body, bright tone, dark tone...

Simply put, you might as well be trying to compare a sports car to a high-performance truck. Both are professional instruments but both are utterly different. There's no objective reason to pick one over the other.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Had an Eclipse. Found it an incredible guitar but felt it lacked something.

Took it back.

Got a Gold Top Traditional.

Just my experience.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Blew1
I'm curious with the Gibson holding the value more aspect - as I've heard that ESP is going to go through a massive rebranding overhaul in the next few years which means guitars with the actual ESP logo will be much rarer. Would that make ESP's rarer and therefore more valuable as a result?

It is possible that such a move would make certain ESP guitars more valuable, but it is highly unlikely. There has never been much of a "collector's market" for ESP guitars. People do like them, but you don't see ads for "Vintage ESP Eclipse" and ridiculous prices asked. ESP is a modern, factory-made Japanese guitar. They are fine guitars, but they don't have the cachet of brands like Gibson and Fender. I strongly doubt that you will see a significant increase in the value of those ESP guitars. The company simply made too many of them, and still does.

The whole Gibson and Fender "vintage market" has become a theater of the absurd. I see Gibson Les Paul and SG guitars made in the mid-1970s (when Gibson was reviled for its poor quality control) being sold today at nosebleed prices because now they are "vintage." Hell, I remember them when they were new, and most guitar shops could not give them away back then. Same thing with Fender. I see Stratocasters from the mid-1970s being sold for ridiculous prices as "vintage, U.S.A.-made Fender!" Give me a break! They were built when CBS owned Fender, and the quality on those guitars was so bad as to make them almost unplayable. Fender fans in those days wanted only "Pre-CBS" Fenders. Now those turkeys from the CBS days are valuable "vintage" instruments? Please!

It is precisely because of this "false vintage" market for Gibson and Fender guitars that their U.S.A.-made offerings are likely to hold their value. Gibson is presently cranking out more Les Pauls (and models of Les Pauls) than ever before, but give it twenty years and you'll probably see those guitars sold as "rare, vintage 2009 model Les Paul!" There will be nothing rare or vintage about them, but they'll cost two or three times as much as a perfectly good year 2033 model. It is like Barnum said: "There's a sucker born every minute."
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at May 10, 2013,
Quote by FatalGear41
*whole load of stuff*

Caveat emptor, dude
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Find and play them, no one will be able to tell which you prefer but you.

+1

Quote by MrFlibble
Simply put, you might as well be trying to compare a sports car to a high-performance truck.

Perfect Analogy!!!

Both are excellent choices, BUT

Although they "look" similar (on a 2 dimensional web page).. they are completely different in feel and sound. So different in fact, that I would recommend getting both of them if you could afford it. (I can't)

Basics -
If you want that comfortable grip and classic/hard rock tone - Gibson
If you want high output for a good hard rock/metal tone and thin neck for fast solos - ESP

Go play them and figure out which one you want.
Last edited by RedJamaX at May 10, 2013,
Quote by Blew1
as I've heard that ESP is going to go through a massive rebranding overhaul in the next few years which means guitars with the actual ESP logo will be much rarer. Would that make ESP's rarer and therefore more valuable as a result?

So, here's my hypothesis...

The guitars of old that are worth $25,000 or more... 50's Gold Top Les Paul... 60's Fender Strat (Hendrix or Clapton models)... they are worth that much because of two reasons... 1. They were used in a top of the chart rock song/album by a very famous guitar player, AND, 2. they are rare to find TODAY...

Any guitar today that is a "special edition" will only go down in value, no matter what it is... (almost) No guitar produced today will be more valuable tomorrow... Everything is mass produced, and everybody has a "signature model". The most recent artist I can think of, who's "tone" was sought after is Adam Jones (TOOL), and that's because he used a Silverburst Les Paul with a paint and lacquer finish you can't get anymore because it fades due to the LEAD CONTENT!!

Honestly, would you pay $10k or $15 to sound like Alice in Chains, Metallica, or Santana??? No, because you can reproduce their sound exactly for a couple thousand with the EXACT guitar and amp they use, which are all mass produced.

The rare guitars of tomorrow that will be worth any ridiculous amount of money will only be worth extra because they really are one-of-a-kind custom AND made famous by an artist. Not because of some quirk due to a redesign. Just my hypothesis.
It really depends on the sound and feel you are going for, as others have mentioned. I personally can't stand the weight or feel of a Gibson, and greatly prefer the look of ebony over rosewood fretboards. I woudn't trade my Eclipse for a current model Gibson, ever. I just love the feel and sound of it too much.

But, it really is a matter of preference!
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+