Hello, I come to UG Forums in utter frustration and despair. Basically, I would like to inquire as to what would be a good decent tube amp head for a decent price that won't break down a ton? I play sludge/thrash metal (basically, heavy distortion). It is a dream of mine to one day own a Orange Rockerverb MKII 100 watt head, but obviously, thats not happening any time soon.

I was literally just playing guitar for the first time in a long time (no equipment at my new place). I plugged into my Crate GT1200 solid state head (yuck) through my Marshall Lead Cab, but due to the tone, I literally turned it off and put my guitar away, after months of not playing. Thats how horrible the sound is on it. There's two settings on it to me - super ultra bass with shitty distortion or a thin pasty distorted tone. Either way, it sucks dick. I just want to be able to join a band and not be sidelined by this, but some of the amps I'm looking at are just all too expensive. What are some suggestions you guys have?

Sorry for the wall of text, I just had to vent. Thanks, guys.
As death, when we come to consider it, is the true goal of our existence, I have formed during the last few years such close relations with this best and truest friend of mankind, that his image is not only no longer terrifying to me, but just is.
go to www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

They have a Krank 1980jr for $375 then they have the matching 1x12 cab for $125. I bought one a few months ago and it it an insane amp for the price. I play in a prog-metal band ane we have some Mastadon/ASG type sounds with a lot of thrashy ones also.

It is perfect for what you describe. It is a 20watt head, but it is loud as hell. It has no problem keeping up with my ban, and we are louder than most live
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Orange dark/jim root terrors? Louder than you might think, but only one channel
^I suggest the same - especially the Jim root terror. It's supposed to be a small rockerverb according to orange.

What does decent price mean to you?
Last edited by Sethis at May 10, 2013,
I'm trying not to spend more than a grand but the dude who gave me the link to Guitar Center's used section is probably what I'm looking for. I gave up on the 6505s but I found one on there for 750.
As death, when we come to consider it, is the true goal of our existence, I have formed during the last few years such close relations with this best and truest friend of mankind, that his image is not only no longer terrifying to me, but just is.
I thought by decent you meant about half a grand. With a grand the choices are really endless, used or new. A lot of amps can do what you're asking.