My question is simple...are Red Bear picks worth it?

I know that the material they are made of sound really close to tortoise shell, and its a beautiful warm, round tone. I've also heard that the picks wear really slowly, and can last for months and months...

so...

Is it worth paying the $20+ for the pick? And is it worth making the switch from ''disposable'' picks to Red Bear (like switching from a Bic pen to a Parker)?
Quote by blueser202
My question is simple...are Red Bear picks worth it?

I know that the material they are made of sound really close to tortoise shell, and its a beautiful warm, round tone. I've also heard that the picks wear really slowly, and can last for months and months...

so...

Is it worth paying the $20+ for the pick? And is it worth making the switch from ''disposable'' picks to Red Bear (like switching from a Bic pen to a Parker)?
What kind of music do you play? Depending on how much gain you use, any tonal difference from the pick can get drowned out quick. When you get down to the material of pick used, we're talked pretty minute differences. Unless it's something drastic, like a super floppy plastic pick to a steel one, it's really not going to have a huge effect on your sound.

In the end, all a pick does is pull the string down an release it, my personal theory would be that the only two real factors (meaning enough to matter) that effect that sound are how hard/fast you hit it, and how stiff the material is.

Off topic: I'm beginning to think that the word "warm" has become meaningless when it comes to tone. It seems like it has morphed into synonym for good, when it really is meant to describe mids. Not attacking you at all, just a mini rant
Quote by ExDementia
I'm beginning to think that the word "warm" has become meaningless when it comes to tone. It seems like it has morphed into synonym for good, when it really is meant to describe mids. Not attacking you at all, just a mini rant

^this

OT: the only way you'll really know for sure is if you try one out. Like has been said, you really won't notice any difference in your tone, it'll make the bare minimum bit of difference and i'd be surprised if any would notice it.

but really just try one out, if it's brilliant then great, money well spent. if not, then at least you know not to go there again and can find a better way to spend $20
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Just to put it here:

If you want a sturdy pick that'll last for months, go for Jazz IIIs or Jazz III XLs, whichever fits your hand better. They don't cost much more than "standard" Dunlop Tortex picks or Fender Celluloid picks and I can't recall wearing one of them down in less than 3 months. I used them for a whole year. Then I outgrew of the shape and feel mainly, now I use regular and disposable celluloid picks as well as Dunlop Tortex Sharps. But they feel better to me, that's what is most important.

And I pretty much agree with ExDementia's post. When I say warm, I get this oozy feeling from the sound, which means my sound is good. But I have played through guitars and amps that haven't felt warm and they were bad... so you're quite right with your mini rant.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
Just to put it here:

If you want a sturdy pick that'll last for months, go for Jazz IIIs or Jazz III XLs, whichever fits your hand better.

This is what I use. I don't think I've held on to a single one long enough to wear it down at all.

Also, looking at their website, there is a whole lot of just plain BS on there.
Play faster and more accurately than with any other guitar pick.
Oh come on!
No. I've had a bunch of they wear out within weeks, and don't you dare carry them in your pocket or get them wet, because they'll warp in minutes. Terrible product, IMO. Maybe if you never play guitar outside of your bedroom. V-picks are much better.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
^this

OT: the only way you'll really know for sure is if you try one out. Like has been said, you really won't notice any difference in your tone, it'll make the bare minimum bit of difference and i'd be surprised if any would notice it.

but really just try one out, if it's brilliant then great, money well spent. if not, then at least you know not to go there again and can find a better way to spend $20

I actually think that picks do make a huge difference, but if it works for you, great man!

I would actually love to try some out, but unfortunately where I live (Lima, Peru) we really don't have much gear or services available...upside is that, because of that, I learned to set up a guitar myself!
Quote by Sakke
Just to put it here:

If you want a sturdy pick that'll last for months, go for Jazz IIIs or Jazz III XLs, whichever fits your hand better. They don't cost much more than "standard" Dunlop Tortex picks or Fender Celluloid picks and I can't recall wearing one of them down in less than 3 months.

Or any of the Dunlop nylon picks for that matter, I use the 1mm nylon picks and have done for years. Very hard wearing and last me probably around a couple of months, hard to give an accurate figure though as i tend to buy them by the hand full when i need them, lose a bunch of them over time and tend not to stick to just using one until it's worn out.
I just buy the bulk 72 pic pack from Dunlop. It is $16 from www.stringsandbeyond.com. Lasts me over 6 months and I go through pic's like crazy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
Or any of the Dunlop nylon picks for that matter, I use the 1mm nylon picks and have done for years.

Those exact ones are the ones i'm using know, and they work great! That's why i'm asking if I should make the switch...but if it ain't broken don't fix it then, right? Maybe I should stick with the Dunlops, it's just that i've heard so many good things about Red Bear...
Quote by blueser202
Those exact ones are the ones i'm using know, and they work great! That's why i'm asking if I should make the switch...but if it ain't broken don't fix it then, right? Maybe I should stick with the Dunlops, it's just that i've heard so many good things about Red Bear...

I was doing some reading on them. What what I gather, they're nice to play with but wear out quickly depending on your picking style. Some guys were saying it started showing wear after 3-4 songs. Plus you have to be very careful about moisture. Apparently you can't put it away moist at all, even from sweat.
Quote by ExDementia
I was doing some reading on them. What what I gather, they're nice to play with but wear out quickly depending on your picking style. Some guys were saying it started showing wear after 3-4 songs. Plus you have to be very careful about moisture. Apparently you can't put it away moist at all, even from sweat.

Yup. The moisture thing is what did it for me. Even when lightening my pick attack to make it last longer, sweat would warp it after a long set and it would be useless and bent. I hear people have had better luck with Blue Chip, but that shit is $40-75 and I'm not that crazy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs