Hi all,

I've been having a bout of GAS lately, and I'm hoping to find amp (new or used) that'll help me emulate (or at least get marginally closer to) David Gilmour's amp sounds. Right now, my little Bugera isn't quite enough, and my Marshall isn't cutting it with a couple reliability and sound issues. The Bugera is a good small amp to keep around, but I'll likely sell the Marshall and an old Peavey. This should allow me a budget of roughly $1000 USD (including head + cab). I can be flexible but I'd prefer to stay under $1k.

The sounds I'm aiming for: The Division Bell, Momentary Lapse in Reason, On an Island, live at Royal Albert, that sort of thing. I'd also like it to be halfway decent with a Led Zep/Pearl Jam/bluesy kind of sound.

Specifics: 15-30w head, a good cabinet that uses 2x10 speakers (this can vary), silent recording (handy, not necessary), a power scaling type feature, good with pedals, onboard reverb.

My gear: Just got a batch of Joyo pedals (analog chorus, compressor, EQ, overdrive), and I also have a TC Electronics Nova Repeater, and a BYOC Large Beaver muff clone. This'll all go through a custom Strat with Lace Holy Grails.

I'm open to a whole lot of suggestions, including other places to look. Any brands and models in particular? Ceriatone, Laney, Traynor, Hiwatt, Vox, etc. are what I've come up with so far. A low wattage Hiwatt clone perhaps? Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks!
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Last edited by Rogue Hermit at May 10, 2013,
I think we've all strived to get Gilmour's legendary tone at one tome or another. In my experience any good cleanish tube amp with the necessary pedals will get you in the ball park. I have old Japanese Guyatone Super Reverb reisssue and it acts as a great clean base for every pedal I've tried.

I cant describe all the information that will help that's available at Gilmourish.Com. Bjorn has ALL the info you can get. This website has all the gear David would have used on each album. He also has budget section and areas recommending amps, effects, pickups and guitars. Have a look around on this site and you'll probably find a better answer than i can give.
Thanks for the info! I'm just looking for a clean amp with a British voicing to throw my pedals at. I've also seen Egnater amps, would they work for this kind of thing?

I've checked out Gilmourish before, but I finally got the chance to check out his list of amps. The one that caught my eye the most was a Hiwatt T20. Unfortunately, it doesn't look readily available in the US at all. Anybody know why that is?
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
What's wrong with your Marshall? I'm not saying that that is the right amp but it may be fixable. The early JCM2000's had a design error that is easily fixed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, the Marshall has that same issue with the bias board. I have it pinned down and the parts are easy to get, I just haven't gotten around to doing the work. Once it's fixed I'll probably sell it anyway, but I just need to get the repairs done

Also, just noticed in your sig you have a JTM45 and 18w Marshall clone. Are those from Ceriatone, and would either of those work for me?

EDIT: Also, saw this earlier: http://www.phaezamp.com/ampshop/en/27-sibly.html

Thoughts?
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Last edited by Rogue Hermit at May 10, 2013,
No, they are things I built myself from scratch. That's what I do.
Neither of them have a lot of headroom. If you are playing pretty quietly you could use them fairly well. On either if you go past about noon on the volume they start to crunch up. If you kept them below that they'd do the deed. The JTM45 would probably be the best option, depending on how loud you want to be. The cleans on a JTM45 turned down to 4 are pretty sweet.

Stay away from Phaez. They are built by a dislexic monkey.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 10, 2013,
Thoughts on Ceriatone? Seems like decent deals and people are happy. The Marshall clones do seem like they would be pretty well rounded at the volumes I'd be using. Any specific amps you would suggest? Beyond wanting British voicing I don't really know which direction to take.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Ceriatone seem to be pretty good, at least they won't have capacitors attached to the chassis with glue. I am quite fond of the JTM45 tbh. I run mine dimed but turned down they do produce some nice clean tones too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hey, at least they are proud enough of their caps to keep you from modifying them!

The Ceriatone JTM45 clone is going to run a tad expensive unfortunately I still do think something more akin to a 20w Hiwatt would suit me a little more than a Marshall. I still don't quite understand which Ceriatone is a clone of which amp, and which one would be a good fit among them.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Right, I was just hoping to find a similar enough clone on there or different amp elsewhere more in the 20w range.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Are you wanting a 20W just because you think it will be quieter than a 50W or because it might be cheaper?
You are after a big clean sound to run pedals into. 50W is what you want. At the levels you want it will have headroom for miles. A Ceriatone Hiwatt clone would be a mighty fine thing. If they are 100W just pull two tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I know wattage doesn't translate over to volume, but I just don't need a monster of an amp. I suppose it really would be clean most of the time anyway though. Would the 100w Hiwatt clone give me the tones I'm after with my pedals? I'd assume it wouldn't be easy to get much tube breakup without the use of pedals (but that's probably what I want, I just don't know it yet).

Would pulling two tubes work just fine on the Hiwatt? Also, I'm assuming the DR103 is the one I'm after. Ideas for a speaker cabinet?
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
As far as I am aware, yeah. The circuit diagram is available I think. The only thing that ever prevents you from pulling two tubes on a 100W 4 valve amp is if the heaters are wired in series. It's not common and I'd be surprised if a Ceriatone or real Hiwatt would do it that way. Some Peaveys do though so it's worth taking a look at the schematic, it's not unknown.
You also need to switch the output impedance on the amp down a notch.

Gilmour's sound is 90% pedals. You don't need to run the tubes hard, you just need a big clean warm platform to run them into - like a big ol' hiwatt.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 11, 2013,
Hmm, that might do it. I'm not very good at understanding circuit diagrams, would you mind taking a quick look? Unless I'm blind, the two 504 clones Ceriatone lists only have 2 power tubes apiece. Would that work? Unless I'm EXTREMELY blind and the 504 IS the 50w version. Which looks to be the case and you should disregard everything I just typed.

Anyway, diagram for the 504 is here: http://www.ceriatone.com/images/layoutPic/HeyWhat/HeyWhat504.jpg

Any idea what the difference is between the 504 and 504 OL?

In interest of cutting costs, how tough would it be to assemble the amp from parts? Not sure if saving $170 is worth having the thing come to me in parts.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Last edited by Rogue Hermit at May 11, 2013,
Yes, that's 50W, there's only two EL34 power tubes.

There's a bit to it. If you are good at soldering and have built a few things in the past it's worth doing - but you have to be very careful. There's like 400V running around in there. Probably higher on a Hiwatt. I haven't built a Ceriatone but their instructions seemed fairly comprehensive of what I've seen.
I'd have it together in an afternoon but I build amps. Depends on your particular bent. I don't know what you are capable of.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A 50w Hiwatt clone is sounding quite appealing now. Now I'm motivated to get going on that Marshall so I can afford this!

I've soldered a fair amount. I put together my BYOC pedal, and a few smallish projects though school. An amp would probably be a pretty big undertaking but likely doable. Well, I have some time to make up my mind at least.

Well, time to track down some speakers. Thanks for the advice though!
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5