Lately I got into Guthrie Govan but his songs are way to hard for me.
Can you guys name similar artists and recommend easier songs in the same style(instrumental) for m to learn ?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this isn't in the right section.
Not really sure what level of guitarist you are, but I suggest Scale the Summit. Their songs are hard enough to be sonically interesting and fun to play, but not too hard that it will take you months to learn. I suggest "Redwoods."
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Quote by ChucklesMginty
A lot of Joe Satriani's instrumentals are pretty simple rock tunes with some flash licks thrown in, but mostly it's fairly simple melodies that just have to be played with good tone, vibrato etc.

Check out some of those. Obviously stuff like Satch Boogie is pretty intense, but there are easier ones.

Good call. Songs like "Crushing Day" "The Extremist" and "Motorcycle Driver" come to mind.

Some of the older Vai stuff isn't that hard either... "I would Love to" "Giant Balls of Gold" and "The Boy from Seattle"

John 5's "Denouncement"

Hammerfall's "Raise the Hammer" and "Reign of the Hammer"
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Old School by Rob Marcello
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Paul Gilbert has some stuff that isn't too hard
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Not metal, but it'sa fabulous guitar instrumental. El Cuento Del Gadio
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
I was going to suggest Al Di Meola, because TS was looking for fusion
he's pretty cool
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by shredder3386
Not really sure what level of guitarist you are, but I suggest Scale the Summit. Their songs are hard enough to be sonically interesting and fun to play, but not too hard that it will take you months to learn. I suggest "Redwoods."

F**k, you beat me to it. I'll just add "Glacial Planet" to that then.

You could always play some Satriani. That's where I started with that kind of stuff. Another is Angel Vivaldi, but he is rather new, and doesn't have a lot of material yet. What he does have is pretty good though, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkW1FMV9fL8
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
"his music is too hard for me"

no it isn't, you pussy, you just have no discipline and gave up learning the tabs when you realized it didn't repeat 3 riffs the whole song
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
"his music is too hard for me"

no it isn't, you pussy, you just have no discipline and gave up learning the tabs when you realized it didn't repeat 3 riffs the whole song

you're a charmer
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
you're a charmer

Texas.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by Mister A.J.
F**k, you beat me to it. I'll just add "Glacial Planet" to that then.

You could always play some Satriani. That's where I started with that kind of stuff. Another is Angel Vivaldi, but he is rather new, and doesn't have a lot of material yet. What he does have is pretty good though, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkW1FMV9fL8

Angel has like 3 albums. And a new one on the way soon.

I'd say his older stuff is much easier than the new stuff.

Angel's a cool dude. I've known him since 2005 or so. That guy can riff for days.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by TunerAddict
you're a charmer

He's a little harsh, but he's right.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Thanks everyone!

and I still say Guthrie Govan is hard to me because not of the diversity, i play a lot of crazy music is just to fast for me, I could learn it but it would take me sometime and in the proces I would get discouraged.
Quote by stonyman65
Angel has like 3 albums. And a new one on the way soon.

I'd say his older stuff is much easier than the new stuff.

Angel's a cool dude. I've known him since 2005 or so. That guy can riff for days.

His new stuff sounds much better though. I can't really bear his older album. It sounds like a mess of noise, especially the start of Acid Reign. I don't know if it's just melodically uninteresting or bad production.
Try on Youtube for an '01 live performance of Three Clouds Across The Moon. However, any version of the song will do.
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iaB1scUYq9o#

It's not really Yngwie and no one seems to have claimed authorship but this is really awesome with a much better solo than JerryCs version. This arrangement of Canon Rock is the best one that I've come across so far
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at May 11, 2013,
Don't listen to all these idiots suggesting you learn shred metal bull crap.

Instead of learning songs you should be focusing more on technique exercises to get to the level where you can play that fast with relative ease, as well as the theory chops required to improvise fairly well. I would recommend Brett Garsed's DVDs as well as Allan Holdsworth's and Larry Coryell's stuff on creative comping. All that stuff will get your chops up a LOT faster and most of it is free on Youtube.

Also consider taking up Classical Guitar. Nothing will skyrocket your technique like the unforgiving and demanding world of the classical.

Also, invest in a metronome if you don't have one already. Research the "two up, one down" technique used by pianists to build speed and accuracy (where you increase 8 bpm then reduce 4 until you get to the desired speed._
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by colddusk
Thanks everyone!

and I still say Guthrie Govan is hard to me because not of the diversity, i play a lot of crazy music is just to fast for me, I could learn it but it would take me sometime and in the proces I would get discouraged.

how are you ever going to get better with that attitude? slow it down and work on it, it's not that hard. if you get afraid of a challenge that easily, i hate to think what you think you can play actually sounds like.
modes are a social construct
Quote by triface
His new stuff sounds much better though. I can't really bear his older album. It sounds like a mess of noise, especially the start of Acid Reign. I don't know if it's just melodically uninteresting or bad production.

Bad production. They got screwed over pretty hard back in those days.
Hearing it live it's pretty awesome.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by SkyValley
Don't listen to all these idiots suggesting you learn shred metal bull crap.

I wasn't aware that Greg Howe was "shred metal bull crap". Did he do some weird solo album when I wasn't paying attention.
Quote by NothingRocks
I wasn't aware that Greg Howe was "shred metal bull crap"...
Or Rik Emmett either.
Quote by SkyValley
Also consider taking up Classical Guitar. Nothing will skyrocket your technique like the unforgiving and demanding world of the Classical Guitar.
This part of your post I agree with. Classical Acoustic Nylon stringed guitar is the best way to learn not just notes and songs but the humility for it. Anyone can sound atleast respectable on the electric but only the best guitarists can play the acoustic flawlessly.

Try doing Bluegrass on an acoustic or Banjo(no picks or mistakes allowed) and then go back to Metal and see its simplicity.
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at May 12, 2013,
Quote by stonyman65

Hearing it live it's pretty awesome.

You lucky bastard. I've wanted to see Angel live ever since I discovered his music (back in '09-ish).
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Mister A.J.
You lucky bastard. I've wanted to see Angel live ever since I discovered his music (back in '09-ish).

Yeah, I met him back around 2005-2006 or so at Jemfest. If you can make it over to Orlando when (if) we ever do Jemfest again, Angel will probably be there. He mostly plays shows around New York and New Jersey these days. Funny thing is I actually grew up a town away from him when I lived in Jersey and never met him until I move to FL. Turns out we know a lot of the same people lol.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard