Both of these are budget heads. Want to buy one of these two + A small 2x12 cab. Which is better? They are
- Both tubes
- Both cheap
- Both small which is a big factor for me as I don't have space, hence small cab

Assume I'm throwing in a tubescreamer too.

What do we reckon?

Cheers
Jazz, blues and so on, propably valveking because i dont know how ironheart works there. High gain rock and metal, I would say ironheart. Valveking is no weakling when boosted (i like mine) but it still needs too much help (and preferably some mods) where every high gain clip of ironheart i have heard has been awesome bone stock.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Jazz, blues and so on, propably valveking because i dont know how ironheart works there. High gain rock and metal, I would say ironheart. Valveking is no weakling when boosted (i like mine) but it still needs too much help (and preferably some mods) where every high gain clip of ironheart i have heard has been awesome bone stock.

Thanks. Bearing in mind I'm a metal player you suggest Ironheart then?
Quote by AngryIndianDude
Thanks. Bearing in mind I'm a metal player you suggest Ironheart then?

Basing on my experience with valveking and everything i have heard of ironheart, yes. It is more metal amp stock than valveking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOu_8mAREM

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Tried the Ironheart 120 in stores a while back and it was humming off like crazy... However I couldn't tell if itwas the tubes or the circuit components introducing noise into the sound.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Have you thought about a small head like the Krank Jr series? Used they are ~$300ish and really nice sounding (they blow the VK and IRT away IMO)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not a big fan of VS. threads and chances are these may be the only 2 you can chose from anyway (that happens) but just for fun....

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 11, 2013,
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah this amp comparison has been summed up pretty well. The VK has superior cleans but probably isn't as good for metal as the IH (at least stock).
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
It took me forever to find a good tone out of the Ironheart. I found it way too muddy, boosted or not. To get enough note clarity without mud, there was no life.

I say go test it for yourself though. That's what I did after hearing clips online, and thought I'd love it but obviously not. Haven't tried the Valveking, though the old guitarist in my band had one and it sounded decent enough. I don't have near enough knowledge of it to weigh in though.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Have you thought about a small head like the Krank Jr series? Used they are ~$300ish and really nice sounding (they blow the VK and IRT away IMO)

Just googling them now! THanks for recommending them
Quote by AngryIndianDude
Just googling them now! THanks for recommending them

If your in the USA www.guitarcenter.com/used normally has a few for sale.

I have the 1980 Jr which is like a very hotrod Marshall, the Rev Jr is a more modern style higain amp, and the K-stein Jr (Dimebag's sig amp) is even more aggressive.

I have one of the 1980 20watt versions and it is loud as hell, and easily keeps up with a full band playing prog-metal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If your in the USA www.guitarcenter.com/used normally has a few for sale.

I have the 1980 Jr which is like a very hotrod Marshall, the Rev Jr is a more modern style higain amp, and the K-stein Jr (Dimebag's sig amp) is even more aggressive.

I have one of the 1980 20watt versions and it is loud as hell, and easily keeps up with a full band playing prog-metal.

In UK / Europe its hard as hell to find one new
Quote by AngryIndianDude
In UK / Europe its hard as hell to find one new

Well that does change things, but you might want to look at the Laney IRT15 head. It should be easy to find and pretty cheap

Or look at www.thomann.de and get a Jet City JCA22h they are selling them really cheap right now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well that does change things, but you might want to look at the Laney IRT15 head. It should be easy to find and pretty cheap

Or look at www.thomann.de and get a Jet City JCA22h they are selling them really cheap right now

It looks great but just 15W? I would like to play gigs within the next year like the good old days. Probably halls or small venues, 15 is enough?
There's the 60W Laney Ironheart, £550 ish but the Valveking 100W is £400, not talking £/W but I think the valveking would sort of be more effective? Let me know if I'm wrong! Thanks
Quote by AngryIndianDude
It looks great but just 15W? I would like to play gigs within the next year like the good old days. Probably halls or small venues, 15 is enough?
There's the 60W Laney Ironheart, £550 ish but the Valveking 100W is £400, not talking £/W but I think the valveking would sort of be more effective? Let me know if I'm wrong! Thanks

Check the bigger version jet city 100hdm thomann. Only 444€ and can do metal.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus

Best compromise right here.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by MaaZeus

DUDE! Best compromise yet
Maybe even the 50w? That should be plenty and its way cheaper
Quote by T7E
DUDE! Best compromise yet
Maybe even the 50w? That should be plenty and its way cheaper

Do they do a 50 HDM?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

Quote by cliff_em_all
Do they do a 50 HDM?

No, not yet anyway, and the old versio JCA50 is out of stock. No wonder because the small stock they got was sold for practically nothing.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
No, not yet anyway, and the old versio JCA50 is out of stock. No wonder because the small stock they got was sold for practically nothing.

A 50 HDM could be quite appealing tbh. Weren't they also working on a Cornford clone of sorts?
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by MaaZeus

Ah. good stuff

The 100w it is then!
TS also wanted cab and thomann happens to have a cab with price/performance hard to match. Harley Benton G212 Vintage loaded with Celestion V30.

So

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
+
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_100hdm.htm

Will take you back about 528£.

If you want to save Thomann also has Jet City bundle with 100HDM + JCA24S 2x12 cab for 471£.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_100hdm_bundle_2.htm

The Jet City cab is also great for money. Ugly, but sturdy and the Eminence speaker isn't half bad. I have the 1x12 version in active use.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I have played the valveking stock for some really great thrash and old school tones. I could even go Gojira on it without trouble! But then again! I had an MXR KFK-1 10 band EQ in the loop and boosted the first gain stage with my Tubescreamer. Man that sounds awesome! The sound of that alone is the reason why I don't sell the amp! It screams when I want it to and is silent when I need it to! Great amp!
Quote by KingOfTheRotten
I have played the valveking stock for some really great thrash and old school tones. I could even go Gojira on it without trouble! But then again! I had an MXR KFK-1 10 band EQ in the loop and boosted the first gain stage with my Tubescreamer. Man that sounds awesome! The sound of that alone is the reason why I don't sell the amp! It screams when I want it to and is silent when I need it to! Great amp!

Thanks for the guidance!!