Do/Did you use any other instrument while/before using a guitar?

For I'm playing a harmonica ....But I still don't have a guitar ....but I'll have one ASAP.

Tell us what u found easy and what u found difficult to learn and what instrument would u like to learn in the future.
Peace
My first instrument was the cello.

When I came to the guitar, the different tuning made it difficult for me to learn the positions of the notes. This made practice difficult.

Then I found Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning- CGDAEG- in which the lowest 4 strings are identical to the cello's. This unlocked a whole bunch of music I already knew how to play, which made practice easier.

To this day, I go back and forth between standard & NST tuning.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I started on viola, and played that for two years before starting guitar. Now, I'm almost six years into viola and four into guitar.

I suck too. :P

In the future, I want to learn cello, piano, and harp. 'Cause they cool.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at May 11, 2013,
My parents were both music teachers, so I've been playing music since age five. My mom started me on piano, as she teaches piano, and I played for about 10 years. I wanted something "cooler" when I was 15, so I gave up piano and switched to guitar, which my dad taught back in the 70's. I've been playing guitar now for 10 years, and I wish I had at least retained my skills on piano, but oh well, I can still sit down and play a bit when so inclined.

I taught myself drums a while back when I had a kit, but I sold that to focus on guitar. I can play a bass too, but I was never really drawn to playing one in any real capacity.
Oh, and if you count singing, I guess I do that too.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at May 11, 2013,
Quote by SteveHOC
My parents were both music teachers, so I've been playing music since age five.

My mom was a music teacher, too, but I didn't start until age 10.

Oh, and if you count singing, I guess I do that too.

Technically speaking, that would have been my first musical experience, going back before age 10. I've a pretty good voice: tenor with 4 1/2 octave range, with a good sustain...when my allergies aren't acting up. Still can't sing & play, though.

And, I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but several of my grade schools- i was an army brat, so we moved a lot- taught everyone a bit of recorder, starting around 2nd grade. (I can still play "Cherry Blossoms" from that period...though only on guitar, probably.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 11, 2013,
My first instrument was french horn, played that in band for about a year and a half, then my aunt gave me her trumpet so I switched to that, two years later picked up guitar, now I play mostly guitar and trumpet, with a little harmonica and ukulele
I'M FAT!!!!
I played my thighs. Wanted to drum - too expensive,

picked up guitar, didnt regret the decision
???
Quote by dannyalcatraz
My mom was a music teacher, too, but I didn't start until age 10.

Technically speaking, that would have been my first musical experience, going back before age 10. I've a pretty good voice: tenor with 4 1/2 octave range, with a good sustain...when my allergies aren't acting up. Still can't sing & play, though.

And, I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but several of my grade schools- i was an army brat, so we moved a lot- taught everyone a bit of recorder, starting around 2nd grade. (I can still play "Cherry Blossoms" from that period...though only on guitar, probably.)

Yeah, at the time I wasn't too keen on being forced to play an instrument, but I'm glad they made me now!

I've never really measured my range, and my sustain isn't great from years of smoking, but I've got at least a nice tonal quality to my voice, if not a bit jazzy (possibly from the smoking). I've also got a raised palate, so there's an interesting bit of vibrato that goes with that.

I remember doing the recorder as well as various hand-percussion instruments. I was also in choir, so a good deal of my grade school experience was musically oriented. I guess that explains why I quit baseball and basketball; who has time for all that?
OffsetOffset
Like a ton of people, I played piano but hated it for 5 years even though I was pretty good. Then started play guitar. And trombone for school which I also hate.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
I took piano lessons first, didn't like them so I stopped.
Then about 5 years ago I lived in Bolivia where I played the Panpipes, Quena and Charango. Sadly I can't play them very well any more.
Yes, I'm being serious.
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Trumpet, seven years, middle and high school. Was going to major in trumpet performance but I got lazy, screwed up my dream, and took another route in life. Trumpet is a very physical instrument (look at some Maynard Ferguson or Doc Severinson videos), I'm too old to pick it up again, and don't really have the interest in it anymore.

Getting back to my music roots though. Started learning the violin about two years ago and the guitar about six months ago which I had picked up in the late '80s put lost interest for a variety of reasons.

Haven't put the time in either instrument because of injuries sustained in a wreck almost 1.5 years ago where I was nearly killed having been hit from behind while stopped by an uninsured, texting driver. Dealing with back pain can really be fatiguing which hurts my practice routine especially after a long day of work, but I'm trying nonetheless.

Music keeps me sane in this insane world that surrounds me.
...I was nearly killed having been hit from behind while stopped by an uninsured, texting driver.

There are too many M*****-F****** idiots behind the wheel without a clue as to the damage they can wreak!

I'm pullin' for ya!

That texting and driving shit is insane. Not to derail this, but I hope they ended up in jail for that.
OffsetOffset
I have a keyboard, which I play occasionally. I love playing it, just don't find the time, since I love guitar far more. When I worked at a country club, I would also play piano some, as they had a baby grand sitting around for events. I got pretty decent considering my lack of time and any material to learn from (not even some sheet music around, not that I can read it). But I don't have room for a piano right now, so I've lost that. I also fairly recently bought a Mandolin, and I'm slowly working on that so I can add some depth to my recordings.

I'm also thinking of picking up a bass guitar eventually. If I build my studio like I want, I'll probably set up some drums as well, though I won't swear that I'll get any good with them.

Quote by David Stein

Haven't put the time in either instrument because of injuries sustained in a wreck almost 1.5 years ago where I was nearly killed having been hit from behind while stopped by an uninsured, texting driver. Dealing with back pain can really be fatiguing which hurts my practice routine especially after a long day of work, but I'm trying

You have my sympathy. My wreck was in Feb of 2006, rear-ended by a drunken illegal immigrant. No insurance, obviously. State Farm also initially refused to honor my uninsured policy, so I ended up suing them. The back and neck pain never has gone away, and I still have bouts of nausea and dizziness that started after that wreck. I also met my ex wife shortly afterwards, which was a far worse effect.

I'm actually getting rid of my Les Paul tomorrow because of it; it bothers my back too much. It's sad, because it is a fine guitar, nothing wrong with the sound, or playability. But it weighs as much as the engine I put in my first car. A 340 cid V8.
Last edited by azrael4h at May 12, 2013,
Quote by David Stein

Haven't put the time in either instrument because of injuries sustained in a wreck almost 1.5 years ago where I was nearly killed having been hit from behind while stopped by an uninsured, texting driver. Dealing with back pain can really be fatiguing which hurts my practice routine especially after a long day of work, but I'm trying nonetheless.

Damn, that sucks. There are way too many ****ing dumbasses who pull that shit in this country who should honestly be shot. I hope you feel better.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Started with an upright bass in school orchestra because the instructor showed me i can play the Jaws attack theme on it.....i liked it and later that year my father bought me my first electric guitar, a Peavey strat copy that I really don't remember the model.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
I started on guitar at age 13.

Physically playing guitar really helped me learn bass quickly and I can mess around on a banjo or cello (nothing too pretty, accurate, technical, or by any stretch of the mind good) but I'm sure with a decent amount of practice it would come to me quickly.

Mentally, playing guitar has helped me learn what I need to do to learn other instruments. With playing guitar I realize the more time I spend practicing the better I play. Just knowing how to learn (or teach yourself) is half of the battle. I'm not going to say once you learn one instrument all others become easy, but it certainly is easier.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I started out playing drums when I was 10. I've technically been able to play guitar since I was 6, but didn't become serious about improving until I was 13.

Playing percussion has helped me have a great meter, though I still practice with a metronome from time to time, if only to keep myself playing slow when I'm trying to practice a new technique or song. I can't not stay with a metronome, I've been conditioned to get a brain shock whenever I play off-tempo.

It's made rhythm guitar playing and bass come easier to me. I've played with a few guys at school who can shred like nobody's business, but playing rhythm makes them fumble like a beginner.

I also play a bit of piano, though I hate it and that was mostly forced on me through my grandparents. It's helped with my understanding of theory a lot, though I still think more in terms of a guitar fretboard instead of a keyboard layout.
Quote by BrownCrown8
Do/Did you use any other instrument while/before using a guitar?

Piano, pipe organ, Hammond B3, Fender Rhodes 88, sax.

Then guitar.

And now I'm adding bass to the mix.