Page 1 of 2
Hi I am a 14 year old guitarist living in a small town about an hour away from London. When I was about 10 I had a band with my brother and some mates at school; we split up when me and my mates went to secondary school. Me and my brother are both aiming to become professional musicians in a rock band, I play lead guitar and he plays drums. The style of our music is a bit like Guns N' Roses and Led Zeppelin and AC/DC; hard rock from 20 odd years ago. But obviously in this day and age nobody likes hard rock and if they do, the chances are they prefer metal.
We are having trouble finding a singer and a bassist that will do the following things:
Like the music we play
Take the role seriously and not just think of it as a mess around
Write good music and lyrics

Me and my brother can't play bass because we are already playing something else, and neither of us can sing; especially since my voice started breaking in early January. So if you can, could you please give us some advice on how we can find a singer or a bassist to be a part of our band that will actually take it seriously.
I'd concentrate on getting good grades. You might fall lucky but plenty of aspiring professional musicians are living at their parents, flipping burgers at 25 years old.
]
Falcon1439, don't worry about that I'm getting some of the best grades in my class.
Quote by zeynsadiq
So if you can, could you please give us some advice on how we can find a singer or a bassist to be a part of our band that will actually take it seriously.

1) Find local music store
2) Look at ads for musicians looking for bands, or bands looking for musicians
3) Contact these people
4) Enjoy

Alos try here:

http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by zeynsadiq
Me and my brother are both aiming to become professional musicians in a rock band, I play lead guitar and he plays drums. The style of our music is a bit like Guns N' Roses and Led Zeppelin and AC/DC; hard rock from 20 odd years ago.

You have a better chance of forming Voltron than a dad rock band with any chance of ever making it. Maybe you should aim to become something more realistic (and more exciting), like a racecar driver or a biochemist or a Hollywood stuntman. I also suggest listening to different music, so you can outgrow your Rolling Stone Magazine Top 500 lists phase as soon as possible.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
One of my pals who is a really good guitarist looks on Craigslist and has gotten into a couple really good bands using that.

One of my other friends has two fourteen year old twins boys that gig on their own, but they can play pretty much any instrument and sing, between the two of them. They are successful, fun to watch (even for me who is older and likes your genre of music better), and get gigs because they can capture the type of music that kids your age are listening to today, but in their own... idiom, or unique way. You can't train or coach the love they have for what they do. You are either going to get someone who takes it seriously like you do or not, just have to weed out the ones that don't from the beginning somehow.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

My advice would be to keep jamming with each other, maybe start writing stuff and in a few years start looking to start a proper band. Getting gigs at the age of 14 is difficult anyways.
Quote by zeynsadiq
Me and my brother are both aiming to become professional musicians in a rock band, I play lead guitar and he plays drums. The style of our music is a bit like Guns N' Roses and Led Zeppelin and AC/DC; hard rock from 20 odd years ago.

Seriously, just give up and grow out of the stupid fucking childish "rock star dream" as soon as possible. I can already tell you won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Forget attempting to form a shitty rock band and try focusing on staying in school. Try cutting your hair and wearing acceptable clothing so you conform with the rest of society. I can spread tell by your lost your the typical greasy-haired 14 year old with an annoying rock star ego and wears a shit ton of unnessacary denim and shitty band t-shirts.
If you really want to go through on this, make sure any other guitarists aren't as asshole-ish as I am. It leads to trouble.

However, stay in school, concentrate on your grades, and for Odin's sake, don't become a douchebag (ie: some mangy dick who wears about a square yard of denim for every inch of his body). The long hair part isn't so bad, just make it look presentable and take good care of it.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Seriously, just give up and grow out of the stupid fucking childish "rock star dream" as soon as possible. I can already tell you won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Forget attempting to form a shitty rock band and try focusing on staying in school. Try cutting your hair and wearing acceptable clothing so you conform with the rest of society. I can spread tell by your lost your the typical greasy-haired 14 year old with an annoying rock star ego and wears a shit ton of unnessacary denim and shitty band t-shirts.

Man, I swear you become a bigger cunt with every post.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Last edited by metacarpi at May 11, 2013,
Quote by metacarpi
Man, I swear you become a bigger cun with every post.

He totes jelly.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Calling his dream stupid and childish, and telling him to conform with the rest of society, yet you're clearly a furry. That post is meant to be ironic, yeah?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Ignore, Ian. He's our resident Yiffer. He also is a jackass right now.

Anyway, I suggest just looking for musicians at school. I doubt you're the only ones who would like to play your style of music in a band. Start out small, man.
oh boy.. This is what you should do: play music to have fun and get drunk and rowdy. Don't play music to "make it" You'll just end up hurting yourself. If you're good maybe it will go somewhere.
TS, just form a shitty band and have fun.

And whatever you do in life, always remember to strive maintain a higher value of life-worth than that of Ian_the_fox. It's not hard, but still.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Ssargentslayer
oh boy.. This is what you should do: play music to have fun and get drunk and rowdy. Don't play music to "make it" You'll just end up hurting yourself. If you're good maybe it will go somewhere.

I do agree with this somewhat. You definitely need to have a passion for music and enjoy doing it and not be playing just to "make it". Conversely, I think you also need to approach it like you want to make it, because that's the only way you can make it. Nobody ever made it by not caring.
Originally posted by supersac
mmh no one has seen god...
no one has seen your penis...
...YOUR PENIS MUST BE GOD!
Dude you're 14, don't start a band. There's no way you're good enough to be anything but terrible at 14 unless you're some kind of child prodigy whose parents spent thousands of Euros on music education for you starting at age 4.

Devote 5 hours a day MINIMUM to hard-core, concentrated practice (scales, modes, arpeggios, theory, chord inversions, rhythms, styles, etc) with a METRONOME for the next 4 years and MAYBE by the time you're 18 you'll be decent enough to start an OK band. Get yourself a GOOD guitar teacher (one with a music degree, not some shitty washed-up rockstar wannabe) and do EXACTLY what he says.

But for the love of God DO NOT start a band. The last thing the world needs right now is another teenage garage band that doesn't understand music. We as a society are past the point of tolerating that crap.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by SkyValley

Devote 5 hours a day MINIMUM to hard-core, concentrated practice (scales, modes, arpeggios, theory, chord inversions, rhythms, styles, etc) with a METRONOME for the next 4 years

yea don't do this

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SkyValley
Dude you're 14, don't start a band. There's no way you're good enough to be anything but terrible at 14 unless you're some kind of child prodigy whose parents spent thousands of Euros on music education for you starting at age 4.

Devote 5 hours a day MINIMUM to hard-core, concentrated practice (scales, modes, arpeggios, theory, chord inversions, rhythms, styles, etc) with a METRONOME for the next 4 years and MAYBE by the time you're 18 you'll be decent enough to start an OK band. Get yourself a GOOD guitar teacher (one with a music degree, not some shitty washed-up rockstar wannabe) and do EXACTLY what he says.

But for the love of God DO NOT start a band. The last thing the world needs right now is another teenage garage band that doesn't understand music. We as a society are past the point of tolerating that crap.

Don't listen to this guy. The hardcore practice with a metronome and learning theory is definitely a good idea, but to not start a band until you're 18 is a waste of time. Starting now, you guys are going to be terrible. You're probably going to be annoying, too. But that's the point. Keep working with other people, and it's going to make you a better player. Hopefully by the time you're 18 and are actually old enough to get decent gigs, you'll actually have a GOOD band instead of just an OK band.
Just do it, what do you have to lose?

Look at school, ask your guitar teacher if you have one, ask at any social gathering....not in a creepy "LETS MAKE A BAND!!" way...no one likes that guy...
Alternatively learn bass yourself- you will always find more guitarists for whom you can write for if you can't find any bassists.

And also... don't become that scummy rocker kid we all knew at school/were at school- stay clean, stay friendly and stay happy
just get your friends to pick up cheap-o instruments and learn together. by the time you're old enough to tour and do anything really productive, you'll have a strong bond and understand each other musically.

worked great for the safety fire and protest the hero
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
just get your friends to pick up cheap-o instruments and learn together. by the time you're old enough to tour and do anything really productive, you'll have a strong bond and understand each other musically.

worked great for the safety fire and protest the hero

Yeah you're still young enough that you don't have to necessarily find people who know how to play an instrument, but find people that are willing to learn.
Quote by SkyValley

Go away...

Learning theory is good, but NO ONE has 5 hours a day to practice. If TS did that, he'd go from having some of the best grades in his class to having F's.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Don't take advice from this guy hahahahhaa

As Xiaoxi said, just strive to be better in life than this guy. It seriously isn't hard.

Make a band, have fun with it. The biggest thing about having a band is to have fun with it. Get to know your bandmates, hang out, do stupid and fun stuff, and just play music.

If you're lucky, you'll get somewhere with it. Always have a back up plan though, cause there is always the possibility for something to go wrong.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Put up posters in your school, at the local music shops, and make Craigslist posts (or the UK equivalent). Play with everyone you can, yeah, you'll probably, suck; yeah, you'll be annoying, but it will make you a better player so you won't suck in the future. Go for it man, the skies the limit. May your chords be strong and your licks fly on the wingtips of the angelic hosts of rock.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Cb4rabid
I read enough

God forbid somebody ever be 14 years old.

Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's probably best to not get advice from a forum of mostly failed metal guitarists.

This.
Quote by Cb4rabid
I read enough

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
At 14, especially with how people think music works now, you might have to compromise wanting to do the 80's hard rock style vs. current hard rock. Try talking to the kids in the orchestra/band. A lot of them actually do play "cool" instruments. Another suggestion is be in a band with people older than you. There's about a 10 year gap between some of the guys in my band, but we play the exact style we want to.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by mitchgosche2011
Don't listen to this guy. The hardcore practice with a metronome and learning theory is definitely a good idea, but to not start a band until you're 18 is a waste of time. Starting now, you guys are going to be terrible. You're probably going to be annoying, too. But that's the point. Keep working with other people, and it's going to make you a better player. Hopefully by the time you're 18 and are actually old enough to get decent gigs, you'll actually have a GOOD band instead of just an OK band.

Yep, gotta agree with this guy. A basic grasp of theory is nice to have, to figure out chord progressions and solo scales and the like, also playing in a band can really help you improve (shit, i need to start one too.). As for musicians, ask around at school. I already found a bass player at my school (thought it was impossible). Oh, and some people here seem to rip on the fact you like AC/DC, LZ, Gn'R and such. You have good taste, so ignore them. UG seems to be so full of extreme-metal-whatever-core fans these days, it's like classic rock is becoming too mainstream for them. But please, whatever you do, don't go emo.
"Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit." - George Carlin
The style of our music is a bit like Guns N' Roses and Led Zeppelin and AC/DC; hard rock from 20 odd years ago. But obviously in this day and age nobody likes hard rock and if they do, the chances are they prefer metal.

Not entirely true. I know plenty of people who love these bands. Granted, they also love metal but it's not unusual to find people who want to play this kind of stuff. A few of my friends who are primarily metal fans actually started a band that only plays this kind of music just because they enjoy it enough to want to play it.

We are having trouble finding a singer and a bassist that will do the following things:
Like the music we play
Take the role seriously and not just think of it as a mess around
Write good music and lyrics

Point 1 is just a matter of taste.
Point 2 depends on what you means about 'seriously' because you will define it differently to what others will whilst still, both of you in your minds are taking it seriously. Not many people are stupid enough to think they will get anywhere with a band but that doesn't mean they won't take playing and writing music seriously. I personally don't think my band will make it big but I still try my best when writing and performing songs and in a sense, put the band first (I've never missed a gig or practice). If the opportunity arises to be signed I will take it BUT, if you are putting success in music as your number 1 goal you're gonna possibly get your dreams smashed and find it hard to find other people who are putting everything into 'making it'.
Point 3, singers don't have to write lyrics. There are plenty of brilliant vocalists that just can't write. Looking for a vocalist that will write all the lyrics aswell is going to make it that little bit harder to find a vocalist, especially if you want them to be brilliant at singing AND writing lyrics.

Me and my brother can't play bass because we are already playing something else, and neither of us can sing; especially since my voice started breaking in early January. So if you can, could you please give us some advice on how we can find a singer or a bassist to be a part of our band that will actually take it seriously.

Look at some 'wanted/looking for' ads in your local music shops and whilst you're there, throw some adverts up yourself. Ask friends, ask friends to ask friends. Social media sites.

You can look at sites on the internet specifically designed to find other musicians (I won't name them, they're easy enough to google) but they are a lucky dip if anything. I've rarely ever seen musicians local to my area on there, even fewer that play the genres I like and I live in short traveling distance of 3 big city's (2 of them being Manchester and Liverpool). I'm not saying they aren't useful but from experience, I wouldn't use these sites as a primary source to find members.

And don't take it so seriously, just concentrate on finding good band members rather than these mythical 'perfect, serious band members'. Worry about whether members work later when you actually have a band to kick and recruit members from.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by SunshineMusicO
Serious question:

Why do you want to be a professional musician?

Serious answer:

Because he is 14.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Make multi-track recordings of yrself on audacity, its a lot more rewarding and you'll have a much better working knowledge of theory and production.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Hereiwas
Make multi-track recordings of yrself on audacity, its a lot more rewarding and you'll have a much better working knowledge of theory and production.

At least reccomend that the guy gets himself a copy of Reaper instead of that incredibly shit software that's basically a wannabe DAW.
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
Ibanez: RG1527
Ibanez: RG1570
Ibanez: S7420
Ibanez: JS100
Dean: Razorback Cemetery Gates
Peavey: 6505+
Fractal Audio: Axe FX II mark 2
Mesa Boogie: Recto 4x12

7>6! Join the 7-string legion!
Page 1 of 2