Hi Guys,

I am currently in a small local pub gig in a band and I am loving it. I run an esp through a valve amp and have a Boss ME 50 multi effects unit.

Recently there has been a High pitched squeeling noise, and it does this when I turn the volume on the amp up. At last nights gig, during interval I tried a gibson guitar and it still did it, so the I ran the esp directly into the amp and it stopped. So I presume its the Boss Pedal?? Or a lead?? has anyone else had any problem with this before???

Cheers guys.
Sounds like a pedal problem to me. No idea what though, I'd try turning the various effects on/off, seeing what happens if you touch the end of the input cable instead of having a guitar there, whether it happens when you plug in a guitar with its volume set to zero, and so on.

Also, more specifics as to the high pitched squealing would help- do you get guitar signal as well (if so what kind of ratio between the two), does turning off any of the effects help, etc. It might well be a short circuit somewhere in the pedal, which should be easy (and cheap) enough for a professional (some guitar technicians know about pedal internals, but you're probably going to have better luck with an electrician- phone up first to avoid disappointment) to deal with.
Are you using batteries for the pedal or are you running it with a DC power supply?
If using the power supply is it the branded Boss one, or a cheaper alternative?
If you are using a power supply it might be that. Try using batteries. Also if its not the Boss adaptor, check the ratings, to make sure they match up. If its not noticeable when you are actually playing the instrument then you may as well just turn the volume off between songs and use the pedal as normal.
im using a dc adapter so il try running another power supply adapter and batteries in rehearsal tomorrow

in terms of the noise it sounds like a "popping lightbulb" sounds like a really high pitched feedback, I doubt its the guitar as I tried a gibson and it still made the noise. It only happens when the volume is turned up?? strange. Gig a week on Sunday aswell!!!
Could also be your settings. Maybe you accidentally turned a knob or hit a button that did this?

As for the power supplies, you definitely should try batteries. Also, when I had an ME-70, I read a lot of bad reviews about the Boss power supply for it, so I bought a Danelectro power supply instead. It was cheaper and worked great!
im using a dc adapter so il try running another power supply adapter and batteries in rehearsal tomorrow

in terms of the noise it sounds like a "popping lightbulb" sounds like a really high pitched feedback, I doubt its the guitar as I tried a gibson and it still made the noise. It only happens when the volume is turned up?? strange. Gig a week on Sunday aswell!!!
Another vote for the power supply right here. I don't have that unit but a couple of my pedals had been misbehaving for ages, one of the sounded really awful on top of other issues. It turned out the power supply I was using was just knackered.