Page 1 of 2
So the time is ripe, I have to get a new amp. I'm starting to do gigs and need a different solution than my Microcube RX or amps I borrow from friends. I have the plan to gradually upgrade my complete Rig (which really isn't great) and will start with the amp. My local store has proposed a marshall ma 50c for 500, but i am torn since it really gets much hate around forums (some people love it though)
Ok so here are the infos for you guys

Budget: unfortunately my financial situation isn't amazing so I'll say about 500 euros

Genres: Well I listen to many different kinds of music, but I definetely want to have a good clean tone (for Jazzy stuff) and a good slightly overdriven crunch. A nice warm overdrive, like paul kossoff would be nice too, but not that important. Lastly I like metal as well, so if the amp could do classical metal, or hard rock (Blackmore) that would be cool, but not really necessary. I suppose I could achieve those last two things with pedals though

New or Used: I prefer New, because the used market where I live is extremely small and I don't know any stores selling used gear. I have made bad experiences with buying online, so that is unless necessary, not an option either

Home or Gigging: Now, I will certainly playing gigs, so it will have to be loud enough for a small to medium sized hall (whatever a school venue is called ). Quiet enough for playing at home is nice, but my house is detached so that isn't the problem.

Closest City: Brussels

Current Gear: Ibby Gsa60 (told you my gear isn't great)

Lastly an fx loop would be cool

thanks for any answers
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
Look at the Jet City stuff on www.thomann.de any thing but the JCA20 would fit the bill nicely.

You need a Combo or a head and cab?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh sorry forgot to mention that, I dont really care if Combo or Head/Cab, but as you see I dont have a cab, I suppose Head/Cab is more expensive?
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
If you order from thomann, you can get a Jet City JCA50h for €289 and the Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage cab for €189.

If you don't know the Jet City is a budget model of the Soldano Hotrod Avenger amp. It has decent cleans, and great crunch through modern metal. I really can't see you buying new and getting anything even close to the sound quality you can get from what I suggested
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok thanks very much, I will certainly consider it because I have heard good things about Jet City. But is it a good blues amp? Does it have good clean headroom?
-Douglas Adams
Don't buy an MA, they are a steaming pile of smeg. The worst tube Marshall I have ever played by a long way.

Rob's JCA50 suggestion is a far better option.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Could my local store actually order me one even if they dont have the brand, or is that impossible out of legal reasons? You see, I'm asking because of warranty reasons I don't want to send the whole amp somewhere, I prefer to have a Person I know to talk to.
-Douglas Adams
Quote by clegtr
Ok thanks very much, I will certainly consider it because I have heard good things about Jet City. But is it a good blues amp? Does it have good clean headroom?

It will work fine for blues.

It is a 50watt amp, you should have plenty of headroom. It will blow the windows out of a house (well not actually but you get the point.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by clegtr
Could my local store actually order me one even if they dont have the brand, or is that impossible out of legal reasons? You see, I'm asking because of warranty reasons I don't want to send the whole amp somewhere, I prefer to have a Person I know to talk to.

If you order from Thomann, you will get a warranty.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Tube or Solid state by the way? I haven't been here in a while so my recommendations might be a bit off but you could also look into Vox or Fender amps for great cleans, if you're lucky you could find a Vox AC15 or a Fender Blues Junior that fits your budget. And the Jet City is a good option too, of course. Also, my friend who is a pretty experienced guitarist and a clean player loves his Tech 21 amp. Might be worth your attention.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at May 11, 2013,
Quote by clegtr

This will depend on the store.

They won't be able to order literally anything because they will probably be tied in to their dealers, but on the other hand they probably don't stock everything their suppliers can get hold of so it's worth asking.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you order from Thomann, you will get a warranty.

The point was that I dont want to send it anywhere, because it takes ages (I once ordered an amp from Thomann, it was broken I sent it back and didnt hear anything for about a month. I then decided to use the money back thing.

Tube or Solid state by the way? I haven't been here in a while so my recommendations might be a bit off but you could also look into Vox or Fender amps, if you're lucky you could find a Vox AC15 or a Fender Blues Junior that fits your budget. And the Jet City is a good option too, of course.

I dont really care as long as it sounds good. I actually looked at both of those amps, but theyre both extending my budget by the amount where it starts hurting
-Douglas Adams
Quote by clegtr

I dont really care as long as it sounds good. I actually looked at both of those amps, but theyre both extending my budget by the amount where it starts hurting

Yeah, especially if the used market isn't that great down where you live And solid states are better if you really need to play quiet, you know if you live in a block of flats or with a lot of cohabitants. Tubes are almost always better sounding but they need to be loud to sound at their best.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Yeah, especially if the used market isn't that great down where you live And solid states are better if you really need to play quiet, you know if you live in a block of flats or with a lot of cohabitants. Tubes are almost always better sounding but they need to be loud to sound at their best.

I disagree with this statement. Tube amps don't always need to be really loud to sound great. They do sound better turned up (but that's why we play, right?) but they don't need to be ear-crushingly loud or anything, just to an acceptable volume. They do sound better really loud but even at an acceptable volume they will sound way more dynamic and responsive than your run-of-the-mill solid state.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
I disagree with this statement. Tube amps don't always need to be really loud to sound great. They do sound better turned up (but that's why we play, right?) but they don't need to be ear-crushingly loud or anything, just to an acceptable volume. They do sound better really loud but even at an acceptable volume they will sound way more dynamic and responsive than your run-of-the-mill solid state.

I didn't say that they need to be earcrushing to sound good. They need to be loud to sound their best but they are still better than most SS amps even at low volumes. I think you just misread my post.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I didn't say that they need to be earcrushing to sound good. They need to be loud to sound their best but they are still better than most SS amps even at low volumes. I think you just misread my post.

I totally did. Where the ****'s my coffee?
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
I totally did. Where the ****'s my coffee?

Hopefully you find it. Coffee is the saviour of mankind.
Quote by clegtr
The point was that I dont want to send it anywhere, because it takes ages (I once ordered an amp from Thomann, it was broken I sent it back and didnt hear anything for about a month. I then decided to use the money back thing.

Find out where the authorized (insert amp brand here) repair shops are in your area.

Most of your local guitar shops don't repair amps under manufacturer warranty anyway - they send them out as well.

You could also talk to someone live at Thomann and ask them if they can provide you with an advanced replacement if something fails.
You could also talk to someone live at Thomann and ask them if they can provide you with an advanced replacement if something fails.

Sorry, I'm not completely sure what you mean by this, does this mean that they replace the amp by something better in return for all the hassle?
-Douglas Adams
Quote by clegtr
Sorry, I'm not completely sure what you mean by this, does this mean that they replace the amp by something better in return for all the hassle?

No it means that if you were to have a problem that they would ship you a replacement as soon as they receive a tracking number for the returned amp, not actually until they have possesion of the amp

So your wait time is cut down dramatically. Lots of online retailers do that in the USA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 11, 2013,
Aww I began to hope
-Douglas Adams
+1 on the jet city jca 50h/hb g212 vintage cabinet from thomann

if the cleaner/less heavy tones are more important, the traynor ycv50b on thomann might be worth considering, too.

i can't see you getting much better than either of those, new, for that kind of money (but i could be wrong, and you never know when a killer deal will just pop up).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Traynor is just about 100 euros too expensive, if I had the money I would probably get a vox ac15 or Fender Blues junior, which a guy before mentioned. I think the jet city is still in the budget and I like the idea of having a cab, since I can later on buy other tube heads.
-Douglas Adams
no worries

yeah if the jet city is inside your budget it's gonna be hard to beat. it's a modern high gainer, though does have decent cleanish tones (it doesn't really have a clean channel, more a crunch channel and a high gain channel) and pretty good crunch tones. And as i said, for the money it's gonna be hard to beat (new).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+2 for the Jet City?

Its a great amp. Killer dirty tones and a pretty good clean as well.

It's dirt channel can nail everything from a light blues to a pretty heavy metal tone.

Like others have said, its a great value, and you would be hard pressed to find a better deal on a new amp. Don't be discouraged by the fact that its made it China. I've been lugging my JCA50H around at least twice a week ( more like 3 or 4) to gigs/pratice, and I havent had any issues yet.

I pulled it apart one day to take a peek inside, and it looks solid as hell.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
But is it able to perform at reasonable volumes at home?
I've got a cellar, but still... otherwise I think all those people are convincing me
-Douglas Adams
Quote by clegtr

That's very unlike thomann, they generally deal with tech issues in a week, I've had entire amps collected, repaired and shipped back within 6 days (to the UK so that includes euro shipping).

As for your local shop ordering one in... Jet City have no European distribution, and therefore your shop would have to pay the freight which on a head/cab is gonna be around 400-450 euros ON TOP of the price of the amp.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
That's very unlike thomann, they generally deal with tech issues in a week, I've had entire amps collected, repaired and shipped back within 6 days (to the UK so that includes euro shipping).

As for your local shop ordering one in... Jet City have no European distribution, and therefore your shop would have to pay the freight which on a head/cab is gonna be around 400-450 euros ON TOP of the price of the amp.

As for the issue with my amp, I think it was a bad constellation between the post the store and the bank. It wasn't the fault of Thomann alone (And they were always friendly and helpful on the phone so I'm not going to say bad things about them)

I actually just found a store selling Jet City, but it seems to be a private one, only opening on saturdays after you made an appointment
-Douglas Adams
Quote by clegtr
But is it able to perform at reasonable volumes at home?
I've got a cellar, but still... otherwise I think all those people are convincing me

Ehh, attenuate it. And it will play at quieter volumes, but there will be a slight tone suck. You get it with nearly all valve amps when you turn them down.
I can practice at home with my JCA50H no prob.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
And as a cab, what do you guys recommend? Someone said I should buy the Harley Benton Cab, but is the matched cab any good? It's fifty euros cheaper (if the harley benton is way better i am willing to go up this amount)
-Douglas Adams
Quote by clegtr
And as a cab, what do you guys recommend? Someone said I should buy the Harley Benton Cab, but is the matched cab any good? It's fifty euros cheaper (if the harley benton is way better i am willing to go up this amount)

Yeah, the Jet City cab is OK, but the Harley Benton vintage has Celestion V30's in it.

I would spring the extra 50 and get the HB.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by red.guitar
I can practice at home with my JCA50H no prob.

+1

i live in a detached house, though, so bear that in mind. But it's one of the better low volume tube amps I've tried.

Quote by clegtr

i'd get the harley benton. better speakers, and I think the cab is better too (it's a bit bigger, and i think (could be my imagination) it sounds better, too). granted it doesn't match as well in terms of cosmetics, but that's about the only difference.

only reason for going for the jet city is if you want its looks to match, or if you were thinking of swapping speakers (say to eminence v12s, which i prefer to v30s with the jet city)... and if you were thinking of swapping speakers you can get the harley benton cab with cheaper speakers (g212) for less than the jet city cab.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Blackstar HT series are great
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)

They are I know, but they are out of my budget, since the 500 euros have to include a cab
-Douglas Adams
**** that shit, they aren't even all-tube
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Heideck

No they are mediocre at best, the Jet City will shit on the HT
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
so would the traynor

yeah ok so i haven't tried the ht series, but the iffy marketing alone puts me off them. and the artisan (which was all-tube, and which won a guitarist gold award, IIRC), was underwhelming at best, I thought.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by evmac

Depends on your as amp. A Roland jazz chorus is going to whomp a tube amp's ass all day long at low volume for cleans, a Randall is going to kick most tube amps ass at low volume for metal they do make tube practice amps now that go down to one watt butt everyone herevis recomendingb50 watt tube amps. At low volumes large tube amps tend to suck with out the ability to change wattage.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Page 1 of 2