So, I might be able to get a summer job, get paid a 1000 euros and buy a new guitar. And I have been thinking of the PRS SE custom 24 for 750 euros. I need the guitar to do pretty much anything. I play stuff from jazz to grindcore, and have equal needs for both clean and distorted tone.
I currently own an Ibanez S420 and that is the only guitar I have owned for the last few years. How do you think that the switch from an Ibanez neck to a PRS one would work out?
So, I need a very versatile guitar that has 24 frets, I don't care about the wood or the trem, and I have been thinking of the PRS SE custom 24. And I currently own an Ibanez S420 so the difference in necks might be pretty big. Do you think that the PRS is a way to go? Or any other recommendations? I'd like to keep it under 800 euros. I live in Finland, mainly use thomann.
If your sig is correct and you have a 6505, you should probably look at a new amp if you're really concerned with versatility, before a new guitar.
Quote by Wesbanez
If your sig is correct and you have a 6505, you should probably look at a new amp if you're really concerned with versatility, before a new guitar.

Maybe if i'd get closer to 2000 euros I might think of that, but with 800 I won't get a good enough upgrade. I'd use guitar rig for recording anyway.
For 800 euros you could literally fill an essay with amps that provide you decent versatility compared to the 6505, bearing in mind the 6505 is basically only good at one thing, balls to the wall metal
Quote by Wesbanez
For 800 euros you could literally fill an essay with amps that provide you decent versatility compared to the 6505, bearing in mind the 6505 is basically only good at one thing, balls to the wall metal

But I still see no need for a new one. But I do have a need for a second guitar since only one isn't enough sometimes. And Since I still see no reason for a major amp upgrade since I'm not gigging or recording I thought that I'd get a new guitar and plan ahead to buy a versatile one instead of a 200e guitar for the sake of a second guitar. I still acknowledge your point, I just have no need for a better tone right now.
I highly recommend the SE Cu24, I've had mine for about two years and I still love it. It can do everything from the smoothest of jazz to instrumental shred, but if you're looking to go heavier I'd suggest swapping out the bridge p'up. I did have a problem with the electronics some time ago, faulty p'up selector, but other than that I've had no problems. If you're looking for that kind of versatility then I'd say go for it.
You sort of missed my point again. I'm not talking about "upgrading" or saying your existing amp isn't a great amp: I was talking about versatility, which is what you sounded like you wanted. Jazz to Grindcore - this is a change best accomplished by using a different amp, not guitar.

But if you really want to spend 800 euros on a new guitar, go ahead, just don't expect it to sound drastically different through a 6505 or amp sims
Quote by Showiddlydiddly
I highly recommend the SE Cu24, I've had mine for about two years and I still love it. It can do everything from the smoothest of jazz to instrumental shred, but if you're looking to go heavier I'd suggest swapping out the bridge p'up. I did have a problem with the electronics some time ago, faulty p'up selector, but other than that I've had no problems. If you're looking for that kind of versatility then I'd say go for it.

Oh hi, I recall derailing threads with you using PRS guitars a while ago when I was a bit more active here And I always consider changing pickup with any guitar. Most stock pups are nothing compared to DiMarzios or Bare Knuckles.

Quote by Wesbanez
You sort of missed my point again. I'm not talking about "upgrading" or saying your existing amp isn't a great amp: I was talking about versatility, which is what you sounded like you wanted. Jazz to Grindcore - this is a change best accomplished by using a different amp, not guitar.

But if you really want to spend 800 euros on a new guitar, go ahead, just don't expect it to sound drastically different through a 6505 or amp sims

Well, no, you just keep missing mine. I don't need a change in tone or a more versatile sound. I need a new guitar, just for convenience. I could manage with a 200e ESP LTD or any other guitar like that. But since I have more money, I see no reason to buy a better one while I have a chance, so that I don't have to worry about it when I do get money for a new amp.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at May 11, 2013,
Quote by guitar/bass95
Oh hi, I recall derailing threads with you using PRS guitars a while ago when I was a bit more active here And I always consider changing pickup with any guitar. Most stock pups are nothing compared to DiMarzios or Bare Knuckles.

Yeah, fun times

IMO the neck p'up does the job well, it's only the bridge that's a bit lacking. But I certainly never say no to a set a BKPs.
Quote by Showiddlydiddly

IMO the neck p'up does the job well, it's only the bridge that's a bit lacking. But I certainly never say no to a set a BKPs.

I agree But I'll need to save a bit more for those.
It will be weird going from the S420 to the PRS, but you'll easily adapt. I had an S420 a while ago, was nice enough to play, neck was ultra thin and very fast, but for some reason I never really liked the guitar
I dunno, but I'd always recommend trying one out before you buy it - even if you aren't going to buy from that store.
Silverburst
Quote by Insanity ninja
It will be weird going from the S420 to the PRS, but you'll easily adapt. I had an S420 a while ago, was nice enough to play, neck was ultra thin and very fast, but for some reason I never really liked the guitar
I dunno, but I'd always recommend trying one out before you buy it - even if you aren't going to buy from that store.

I have to search around finnish stores, we have a really bad selection of guitars here. 90% are washburns. And I love the S420, but it just seems a bit too one-dimensional for me. A plain black and generic guitar that has a strat shape. It's a great guitar but in the same time it's really mediocre thematically, and I'd like to upgrade for something more special.
Going from an S420 to one of the more recent SE Cu24s should be easier than going to one of the slightly older SE Cu24s. They've really slimmed down the necks. Still pretty though.
Quote by Showiddlydiddly
Going from an S420 to one of the more recent SE Cu24s should be easier than going to one of the slightly older SE Cu24s. They've really slimmed down the necks. Still pretty though.

I do also play bass so I am somewhat used to thick necks. Just thought to point this out
I have to search around finnish stores, we have a really bad selection of guitars here.

But you have some really good small guitar companies...Ruokangas, Flaxwood...probably more.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm planning to get a Fender Squier hello kitty just for fun
99$, worth it.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
But you have some really good small guitar companies...Ruokangas, Flaxwood...probably more.

That is true, but you can't find any of those in regular guitar stores. When I say 90% are washburns I'm not joking
Oh, I didn't doubt you- I was just suggesting you might think outside of the box (store) and consider some homegrown options!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Oh, I didn't doubt you- I was just suggesting you might think outside of the box (store) and consider some homegrown options!

I didn't think you doubted me, I thought you were just responding to the comment about trying the guitar out I appreciate the post by the way, I am not overly familiar with finnish guitar companies so thanks for recommending some

EDIT: Checking out the Ruokangas guitar builder. This is so amazing I'm going to cry.
I'm crying with you- that's the best custom designer I've seen on the web*, and I've been wanting a Ruokangas for quite a while...

* I once wrote them and told him he needed to license that bit of programming.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 11, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'm crying with you- that's the best custom designer I've seen on he web, and I've been wanting a Ruokangas for quite a while...

I agree, needs more bridge options but I can forgive that since they have True Temperament support. Seriously. How many custom companies have TT parts? Also, the Duke model is gorgeous.
Quote by guitar/bass95
One.

What O.o

I'll work in summer and get like 90 dollars a month

I'm dying of jealousy lol
Quote by guitar/bass95
Well, no, you just keep missing mine. I don't need a change in tone or a more versatile sound. I need a new guitar, just for convenience. I could manage with a 200e ESP LTD or any other guitar like that. But since I have more money, I see no reason to buy a better one while I have a chance, so that I don't have to worry about it when I do get money for a new amp.

Thats cool, but you didn't actually clarify that point until one or two posts ago, you just mentioned versatility in OP, hence why I recommend a different amp. Be sure to post up a NGD if you get something tasty

Quote by BrownCrown8
What O.o

1000 euros a month is barely pushing minimum wage territory, what do you do for $90, clean a toilet for 15 minutes every 4 days?!
Quote by BrownCrown8
What O.o

It kind of depends where you work I think. I got a job at the graveyard Nothing sinister, just tending the yard.

Quote by Wesbanez
Thats cool, but you didn't actually clarify that point until one or two posts ago, you just mentioned versatility in OP, hence why I recommend a different amp. Be sure to post up a NGD if you get something tasty

I should've remembered the traditional "and I am not looking for a new amp" clarification in the OP . And I'll be sure to do that

1000 euros a month is barely pushing minimum wage territory, what do you do for $90, clean a toilet for 15 minutes every 4 days?!

Lol actually I'll work at a glass factory in very high temperature ....Maybe much harder than you think ....

But it's like that in any place in Egypt if you're working in summer.

so unless you're trying to stay in the job for years ...you're not gonna get paid in hundreds .

that's a pain isn't it??? that's pushing me to get a guitar after I'm 18 or maybe a bit after that