Page 1 of 24
I was just curious as to how many of you served in the military. I myself am serving in the Marine Corps and am stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Feel free to talk about how the military life is affecting your musicianship whether its allowed you to meet potiential/current band mates or maybe constricted your ability to even play, etc.
Ohh Looky it's a jarhead!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Yes, served in Chad with the UN. It's actually where I really got into guitar. Somehow figured out that our lead surgeon was a beast player and we would start jamming when we had free time. There were actually a lot of musicians in our troop, so it was a great place to learn and potentially even form a band. Though that was a bit more chill mission than average. Good luck
Quote by Dreadnought
Super secret master race reporting in.

Definitely don't get to play guitar as much as I used to. I knew before I got in, though, that I was making a choice between the two, and guitar was going to take a backseat no matter what.

I've yet to take my guitar on any of my deployments, but I'll be doing it here pretty soon I think.

Yer not a jar head.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by FearMyLightning
America FK ya has the best fkin militery thier is. Dunt badmowth us or well bomb u America FK ya

**** yeah
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I stole a car when I was 16, the military didn't want me.

Fvck it, I ain't no babykiller anyways.
Uhh... I was in ROTC for a while.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Air Force for 7 years. Currently shining a seat with my ass in a cubicle now after doing 6 years of mission support in the UAV community. I'm hating life right now

Luckily I've never had a problem with being in the military and pursuing a hobby like guitar. I've never deployed, even though I've tried to, and this is only my 2nd duty station outside of tech school. Being grounded for 6 years in one place, and then 3 more at this one has many pros, but also several cons.
Well... I thought about joining the Marines.

I'm actually still considering it. I let my parents talk me into a year of college before making the final decision though. So, how does being deployed as a Marine affect your ability to play? Do you find you lack time to practice and your skills deteriorate? Also, assuming you played before you enlisted, what was it like playing your instrument when you got back from boot? The longest I've gone without playing guitar is about a week, and it took a few hours of solid practice to get back into the swing of things. I can imagine myself picking up my guitar for the first time in 3 months and just playing like complete shit.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Shitting isn't a perk. Shitting is a hassle.
You lucky bastard. I'm planning on enlisting in the Marines after I do Americorps next year. If it were up to me I'd enlist right when I graduate but my mom wants me to do Americorps before I enlist. Not to say I'm not excited but my father and cousin were Marines and I've wanted to earn the title since forever.
Quote by macashmack
You lucky bastard. I'm planning on enlisting in the Marines after I do Americorps next year. If it were up to me I'd enlist right when I graduate but my mom wants me to do Americorps before I enlist. Not to say I'm not excited but my father and cousin were Marines and I've wanted to earn the title since forever.

That's a shitty reason to join. The title doesn't mean anything.
My God, it's full of stars!
Greetings from the UK! My dad was in the navy years back,my grandad was a pilot in the RAF, my great grandad was in the infantry and my great great grandad was in the infantry too. I really look up to them and I'm currently waiting to apply to the army air corps
]
I'm sorry, please someone explain to me, why does it seem like such a good idea to join the army? I'm not American. It seems to me like there's a lot of young guys in the US really wanting to enlist, it's kinda rare in my country or in Europe.
Quote by Zordon
I'm sorry, please someone explain to me, why does it seem like such a good idea to join the army? I'm not American. It seems to me like there's a lot of young guys in the US really wanting to enlist, it's kinda rare in my country or in Europe.

They pay for things and it's ingrained in the culture. Serve your country and all.

PROUD TO BE A MURCAN WER LEEST AH NO AM FREEEEE

But really, gotta respect my military friends.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I actually thought about enlisting for like a week lol. I'm not built for that stuff, I'm fragile like a flower
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by Zordon

No offense but it's because Europe are a bunch of gutless pussies, no offense guys.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Zordon

A sense of doing something. Protecting your country. Different from your average office job. Job opportunities. Plus the prestige and honour of being in the army and even more so the special forces.
]
Quote by ErikLensherr
No offense but it's because Europe are a bunch of gutless pussies, no offense guys.
I think it's because Americans are a bunch of militaristic redneck assholes.
Quote by Zordon
I think it's because Americans are a bunch of militaristic redneck assholes.

That's a very ignorant generalization, a lot of people who enlist are racial minorities.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Jackal58
Yer not a jar head.

Praise Jesus
Quote by ErikLensherr
That's a very ignorant generalization, a lot of people who enlist are racial minorities.
I know I was just being a prick
I found time to play while in afghanistan. Some guys got acoustics sent out and there is a lot of down time if you're not a boot haha. So yea I played a good bit while deployed.
Quote by Zordon
I know I was just being a prick

So was I. bff's 5ever.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by Dreadnought
That's a shitty reason to join. The title doesn't mean anything.

That's not the only reason I want to join. Who are you to question my reasons?
Quote by macashmack

He needs to feel superior.
Quote by macashmack

Everybody's reasons should be questioned
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
Well... I thought about joining the Marines.

I'm actually still considering it. I let my parents talk me into a year of college before making the final decision though. So, how does being deployed as a Marine affect your ability to play? Do you find you lack time to practice and your skills deteriorate? Also, assuming you played before you enlisted, what was it like playing your instrument when you got back from boot? The longest I've gone without playing guitar is about a week, and it took a few hours of solid practice to get back into the swing of things. I can imagine myself picking up my guitar for the first time in 3 months and just playing like complete shit.

Because of my specific job, I probably get to play guitar on the weekends. It doesn't really happen on the weekdays. But when i get an off day I play all god damn day. Sometimes Ill play only a few times a month but after I warmup for a bit Im back to normal. For deployments, I deploy once a year for several months without playing. My hands will feel like spaghetti when I get back but I'm always able to recover pretty quick. However the nicest perk about being in the military while being a musician is that its much easier to afford the habit.
Quote by 5_Years_Dead
I stole a car when I was 16, the military didn't want me.

Fvck it, I ain't no babykiller anyways.

Well considering I've never killed a baby and my units have deployed to aid thousands in foreign disaster relief... w/e I bet people who steal cars are just as good as people
Quote by Dreadnought

What were your reasons?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Okinawa is the best place to be stationed if you want to rape Japanese schoolgirls...lord knows the soldiers there love to!
Quote by macashmack

There are some nice things about being a marine, but I don't exactly wake up every morning and say "yeah... that title... nice as ****". Don't just pick marines for the wrong reasons, look into every branch and find one that suits you.
I play airsoft! That counts right? Right?..no?... ill just leave then.

Seriously though, ive considered it especially after failing uni (UK) but i'm going to try going back to college and see where that gets me.
Quote by Dreadnought

That's fair.
I've wanted this for a long time for many reasons, all of which are strong in my eyes. What made you want to join the Army?
Quote by ErikLensherr
What were your reasons?

They were... questioned
Quote by TheOkadaWard
There are some nice things about being a marine, but I don't exactly wake up every morning and say "yeah... that title... nice as ****". Don't just pick marines for the wrong reasons, look into every branch and find one that suits you.

There was a time where I wanted to join the Air Force like my father's father, but that was to be a pararescue jumper. There was another time where I wanted to join the Navy like my Mother's father, but I wanted to do that to be a SEAL. My mind always comes back to the Marine Corps.
Quote by Dreadnought
They were... questioned

Boooooooo
Quote by jakesmellspoo