I've been using the joyo ultimate drive but I find its noisy, so then I tried an old 90s danelectro fab pedal that was in the basement-very noisy, then just tried an old Nady ps 025 touch overdrive I had, no noise but is just overdrive. Is the basic design of distortion pedal with gain up 1/3 just noisy on all of them or is it the brands I've tried? If I got a tube screamer would I lose the noise? Right now I'd rather just use overdrive than have the noise of the distortion pedals I know.
I'm not sure if I got your point, but both Joyo and especially Danelectro are really low quality pedals. I'm not surprised that there is noise. Some pedals might have better electronics and less noise, but it isn't unusual to get a noise gate. I think that a decent OD like an Ibanez tubescreamer would have less noise and more tone.
I just listened to a proco rat demo on youtube and as the gain went up the noise went up. it may just be the nature of the beast. I mean an ambient buzz when not playing
Quote by duderonomi
I just listened to a proco rat demo on youtube and as the gain went up the noise went up. it may just be the nature of the beast. I mean an ambient buzz when not playing

Yeah that is pretty common. But there are a lot of good noise suppressors out there that can help.
what other gear are you playing through? you're gonna get some noise with distortion pedals, especially as the gain goes up, but it shouldn't be so bad that you can't use the thing, that normally means something is wrong (or you're using cheap crap pedals).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's not terrible I was just like what is that noise and ran down the line til I got to the distortion. I like the pedal. I think it may just be the nature of the beast. Yeah the fab tone is just a door stop, I was just testing different distortion pedals. I'll tell u what, though I got the dano spring king reverb & that's pretty cool. This isn't a real problem, I just would love it silent. All in all the joyo is a great pedal. I think all distortion pedals bring a little noise. The nady overdrive was silent but sounds processed to me. Thanks guys.
Last edited by duderonomi at May 11, 2013,
My Joyo Vintage Overdrive isn't very noisy at all. It's not noiseless, but it's not really an issue with a noise gate. Are you isolating your power supplies?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Well it's not the pedal. It's my 2 crappy pickups. Awhile back a friend installed a Seymour Duncan pickup in the middle position (it's good) The crappy mutey noise is in the other pickups. They're just cheap. As always thanks for your help. I'll just get familiar w the middle pickup for awhile. Probably a good thing.
Quote by duderonomi
Well it's not the pedal. It's my 2 crappy pickups. Awhile back a friend installed a Seymour Duncan pickup in the middle position (it's good) The crappy mutey noise is in the other pickups. They're just cheap. As always thanks for your help. I'll just get familiar w the middle pickup for awhile. Probably a good thing.

If it's the old p/up's that are the issue, then get some new pickups,
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

sweet- it's a shame you've got a problem, but at least once you identify it you can deal with it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?