I have an Ibanez bass and bought half round strings maybe 15 years ago and never changed them. how often do you change strings?
i'll change them pretty much every payday, but since switching to nickel strings i can sometimes push it to every other payday before i want the new string feel
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Everyone couple of months, like my guitar. I'd change them less if I could settle on the perfect string tension profile, though.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I change them every month during gigging season and in the off season I like to change them once every three months.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Once every six months, but that's because I always use coated now, and I'm not that bothered about the new "bright" string sound.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Flats I change them when they get too dirty for playing--I have a set on my Accu-bass that have been on there for about 2 years.

I'm more picky about rounds--I change them about every 3 months, more if I'm gigging actively.

And the upright--when the bank account allows. I have 3 year old strings on it now that really need changing but will have to wait.
I change my guitar stings on what gets used, about every two months or so. I was just wondering on the consensus for bass. I'm thinking percussively so changing strings would help achieve a brighter sound, if that's what you want. I guess it's all about the sound you are trying to achieve.
thanks for you feedback,
I change them every 2 months or so. If I had a steady income instead of being a student, I'd probably change them every month.
I just love the low-mid growl I get with a brand new set of rotosounds.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Flats I never change unless one manages to break.

Rounds never get changed because I can't afford new strings.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Depends upon the strings. Steels like Rotosounds need changing fairly quickly, every two months, nickels last longer I've found the Dean Markleys last pretty well for steels though, maybe 4x the Rotosounds.

Flats don't seem to go off, mine are 18 months old now and don't really change sound much at all.
Had the same set on for nearly two and a half years. Sound fine to me - but maybe that's because I always play with overdrive. They might sound sh1t if I was to play something quiet / clean.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
I really like bright strings. When they start just sounding dead it slows down my mojo and I can't have that happen.

4-6 weeks if I'm gigging a few times a month. If I am doing prolonged studio sessions, around 15-18 hrs is when I notice the change/reduction of mojo.

To get a second wind out of my strings I'll soak them in denatured alcohol for 4-6 hrs or overnight. Denatured alcohol is commonly used by jewelers to dissolve the skin gunk off of metal... that is basically what it does to your strings. When you are done with it, just pour it back into the container. I am pretty sure the $9 can of it that I got from Home Depot has saved me like $150 in strings in the past two yeras.

Don't try foolish techniques like boiling your strings or soaking them in some other hippy substance (vingar etc).
Last edited by cGoEcYk at May 14, 2013,
I used to never change them unless they broke, now I change them when we start recording an EP/Album, or when we have a higher profile gig than usual. Whenever I want a brighter sound I just drown my strings in methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) for as long as I can go without my bass (up to 48 hours if I do it sunday night)
I change mine when they get so grimy, that my band mates won't get near them. I don't look, and, well, the grime does come from my fingers. I don't give a lot of thought to the tone from the strings. My tone is made purpously for used strings, which makes it much cheaper in the end..
really depends on how often u play..... then it depends on type of strings... flatwounds tend to last forever, while a good touring schedule on roundwounds make require a change every 7-8 months or so.....
Quote by Spaz91
Stainless Steel Rounds: Every month.
Nickel Rounds: Every 3 months.
Coated rounds: Every year.
Flats: NEVER.

Invest in coated strings and flatwounds.

steel rounds every month? do u play 3 gigs a day, 7 days a week?
Generally every 3 weeks if i can. D'addario nickel light gauge strings. If i have more then an average amount of gigs about every 3 gigs. I had 7 gigs over 3 days 2 weeks ago, lots of string changing then.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by anarkee
Flats I change them when they get too dirty for playing--I have a set on my Accu-bass that have been on there for about 2 years.

I'm more picky about rounds--I change them about every 3 months, more if I'm gigging actively.

And the upright--when the bank account allows. I have 3 year old strings on it now that really need changing but will have to wait.

Haha the spiros on my bass were about 10 years old before i changed to belcanto's. Hopefully ill get a good few years out of them. Thinking of getting an evah Pirastro E though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I've seen a recomendation for Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats, but $72.99USD seems a little steep. I'm not really cheap but dang. Anyway recomend some strings, I just ordered a schecter damien elite 5 which will be here tomorrow! I'm into Tool,Pink Floyd and aic. Not too picky just some all purpouse suggestions would be cool. thx
You know, whenever they don't feel/sound right anymore. In my experience there isn't too much of a "schedule" it just depends on how much you play.
If I could get THAT sound out of a Casio Mickey Mouse watch, I would play a Casio Mickey Mouse watch