lglitchl
111 IQ
So I've been looking forward to buy a new axe and upgrade from my current Epiphone Les Paul and I've come across the following guitars:

Jackson RRXMG,
Esp ec 401,
Charvel dx1 or ds1
Schecter damien avenger
Ibanez art500

I mostly play heavy metal and a bit of hard rock. Stuff like Slipknot, Children Of Bodom, Machine Head, Avenged Sevenfold e.t.c.

Amongst these which one is the best buy?
Last edited by lglitchl at May 11, 2013,
ambler3
Cardiff
1,038 IQ
The Ibanez be good for your personal tastes, however I myself would prefer a low action and fairly large scaled guitar to play metal, so i'd stay away from the ART, as good as it would be. As it's a les paul shape, the action is fairly high, and it is only a 24.75 scale so a 25.5 scale guitar (most guitars) would probably suit you better.
(I own an ART100DX, it's pretty decent)
If you want information about my Ibanez, then i've had it as my first electric, I used it often in tuning such as drop b (probably a tuning you'd play in, considering the bands you mentioned) and would say it has handled that well.

Can't comment on the other guitars, sorry. I'm still a bit of a newbie, as I only progressed to the electric guitar 6 months ago, after a couple of years playing the acoustic, so I may be wrong in some of the things i've said.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Best value is probably the Charvel, then probably the Jackson.

That doesn't have any bearing on what you'll find comfortable/agreeable though. Is there any way you can try them out?

Those guitars are relatively random and seem to have some big disparities, like bridge types. Please answer these questions here and we'll be able to give you the best suggestions we can.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 11, 2013,
lglitchl
111 IQ
I'll probably be buying them online so there is no way that I can play them out.

Personally I really like the Rhoads because of it's ridiculous shape but then the basswood body keeps me thinking and amongst the others i prefer the ESP and Charvel but then again I don't have any personal experience with them :|

As far as my needs go I want active P'ups, 24 frets, don't really know whether I need a Floyd or not :P, new or used doesn't matter and it should have an awful look.

Hope that helps
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...
785 IQ
Quote by lglitchl
Hope that helps

Nope. What don't you like about your current guitar? Do you plan on changing tunings often?
lglitchl
111 IQ
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Nope. What don't you like about your current guitar? Do you plan on changing tunings often?

That's one reason, but I also want something which fills in for my heavy metal needs.
I'm not saying that my les Paul can't do metal but let's face it, the EMGs and preferably better than the Epi pickups and I don't want to change em out because they are great for stuff other than metal
Espace39
Guitarist in training.
246 IQ
Quote by lglitchl
That's one reason, but I also want something which fills in for my heavy metal needs.
I'm not saying that my les Paul can't do metal but let's face it, the EMGs and preferably better than the Epi pickups and I don't want to change em out because they are great for stuff other than metal

Any guitar can be made to play metal with a distortion unit of some kind is attached.

But if you're looking for a decent priced guitar, bc rich or ESP will be for you.

More specifically, the ESP AX 50.
Last edited by Espace39 at May 12, 2013,
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
76 IQ
Quote by lglitchl
I'll probably be buying them online so there is no way that I can play them out.

Personally I really like the Rhoads because of it's ridiculous shape but then the basswood body keeps me thinking and amongst the others i prefer the ESP and Charvel but then again I don't have any personal experience with them :|

As far as my needs go I want active P'ups, 24 frets, don't really know whether I need a Floyd or not :P, new or used doesn't matter and it should have an awful look.

Hope that helps

With active pickups body wood is not very important for the sound as it is with the passive ones.
lglitchl
111 IQ
Quote by JackovSlayer
With active pickups body wood is not very important for the sound as it is with the passive ones.

True, but it is a soft wood and I have to do all sort of crazy stuff while playing live so it might get a lot of dings and stuff.
Last edited by lglitchl at May 12, 2013,
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
76 IQ
My guitar is made of basswood, sometimes I accidentaly hit something with it but still there's no damage on it.
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,235 IQ
Quote by JackovSlayer

You do know that is a myth right?
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic
741 IQ
Don't touch those Charvels!! Those are the Desolation line and have awful QC, unless you can physically check the actual guitar out prior to buying do not risk it. I'm speaking from experience on those!
lglitchl
111 IQ
So is that a no go for the Charvel an the Jackson?
What about the Ltd and the Schecter? Are they worth buying?
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
76 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

You do know that is a myth right?

Actually, I think it's not.
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic
741 IQ
Jackson: Good
LTD: Good
Schecter: Good
Charvel: Anything except the Desolation is good.

The problem with the Desolation series is that they moved production to a cheap factory and subsequently the quality control is awful! The one I got was all over the place, wonky bits, paint missing, paint on binding, damaged binding, borked electronics, the whole thing was a mess.

I don't know much about that particular Jackson model you mention but I've certainly never seen a Jackson come along that had even anywhere close to the issues that the Charvel Desolation series seem to be having. Which is crazy given they're basically the same company, I guess they just wanted to keep profit margins high on the desolations.

But yeah anything other than those desolation models should be fine, even other Charvels. Charvel are a good company and make nice guitars, it's just they dropped the ball on that series.
Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 at May 13, 2013,
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
76 IQ
Quote by lglitchl
So is that a no go for the Charvel an the Jackson?
What about the Ltd and the Schecter? Are they worth buying?

I played few Schecters, mostly the Hellraiser series, and they seem like good guitars to me. Didn't like the necks, they were pretty thick, I like the thin ones more.
lglitchl
111 IQ
Quote by JackovSlayer
I played few Schecters, mostly the Hellraiser series, and they seem like good guitars to me. Didn't like the necks, they were pretty thick, I like the thin ones more.

Yeah but the problem with the damien is the bolt-on construction unlike the hellraiser :/
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,235 IQ
Quote by JackovSlayer
Actually, I think it's not.

The difference is that it is actually a myth. Guitars with active pickups don't all sound the same.
Quote by JackovSlayer

Actually, the necks on Schecters have an average thickness. People who say they're too thick are just used to playing on necks that resemble toothpicks.
Quote by Axelfox
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 13, 2013,
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,208 IQ
How much have you got to spend?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
76 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Actually, the necks on Schecters have an average thickness. People who say they're too thick are just used to playing on necks that resemble toothpicks.

I wouldn't call it average thickness. Yes, I'm used to playing thin necks (I play Ibanez), but still I would say that Helraiser Series (I played C1 and V1-FR models) have thick necks. And besides that, the salesman in the store I was trying it out said that the necks on those guitars are thick too. I think he was also saying something about new models having thicker necks than the older ones, but I'm not very sure about that, maybe I got something wrong.
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
76 IQ
Quote by lglitchl
Yeah but the problem with the damien is the bolt-on construction unlike the hellraiser :/

Why is that a problem to you?
lglitchl
111 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0
How much have you got to spend?

Around $650 but that doesn't matter because I have to choose a guitar from the one I mentioned earlier as they are the only ones I found fitting my requirements so far.
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,208 IQ
But you clearly don't know a lot about guitars...

I'll have a quick look and see what I can find.

There are a ton of solid guitars that would be awesome for what you want and all of them blow the stuff you are looking at away. When you are looking at spending around 600-700 and predominately new, you have the issue of what is effectively the top end of the mid range market.

Going 2nd hand opens up better deals and higher quality instruments.

All of those are hardtails (bar the USA Washburn) and all have branded pickups and are all well suited to playing metal.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 13, 2013,
lglitchl
111 IQ
I check eBay daily to find something good and I did come across all the guitars you mentioned, but the problem is that I don't live in the US :P
Last edited by lglitchl at May 13, 2013,
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,208 IQ
So why say you were spending $?

Where do you live then?
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
ParkwayDriveQC
34 IQ
i have a esp ltd ec-401 and i love it, but i did not try any of the other guitar that you wrote so i cant compare
lglitchl
111 IQ
So I'm gonna be ordering tomorrow
What should I buy?
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,235 IQ
Buy that Gibson Goth Explorer if you want me to kill you.
Quote by Axelfox
lglitchl
111 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Buy that Gibson Goth Explorer if you want me to kill you.

Jackson it is.