Guitar parts are foreign territory to me. I know next to nothing about them, outside of Floyd Roses. I need a 74mm TuneOMatic style bridge for my EC, and I'm not sure what's good and what's not.

I was looking at this, but I've heard very mixed opinions on GFS hardware, so I'd like to get some more opinions on that. http://www.guitarfetish.com/Import-fit-Gold-Tuneomatic-Bridge-BRASS-Saddles-OUR-BEST-_p_5929.html
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You're ec-1000 should have the tonepros tuneomatic bridge installed all ready and those are pretty high quality. If you are looking for a replacement for the tonepros bridge check out an ABR-1 bridge but having tried both i felt the tonepros was slightly better. The GFS hardware is good for the price but again if you all ready have the tonepros i wouldn't bother changing it out.
Links to the bridges: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/tonepros-metric-locking-tune-o-matic-bridge-large-posts
EDIT: the ABR-1 won't fit the guitar.
Check out some of the other Tonepros/Gotoh bridges if you can.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Last edited by ltdguy27 at May 11, 2013,
I don't want to change arbitrarily, I want to because it goes out of tune really quickly, and the bridge is the most likely candidate for that, I think. The tuners seem to be perfectly fine, and it has an Earvana nut. Meanwhile the bridge is really worn and grimy and chipped etc....

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I don't want to change arbitrarily, I want to because it goes out of tune really quickly, and the bridge is the most likely candidate for that, I think.

What makes you say that? I would think a T.O.M bridge be fairly stable since it doesn't have that many moving parts besides saddle screws and your studs it just sits there and does nothing.
I mean that just relative to the tuners and the nut, the bridge seems like the most likely culprit. To be completely honest I can't identify where the problem lies. Every other guitar I own holds tune completely fine. Just this one doesn't (which humors me in an ironic way since it's the most expensive guitar I own. Things seem to work out that way often.)

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Silly question but how old are the strings on it? How tight have you done the lock on the tuners? Would be really weird for the EC to not hold tune though since my Eclipse has been in tune for months at time besides those times when it's either been freaking hot or freezing cold.
I know you're not an idiot but are you changing strings correctly? You know, proper peghead winding, only tuning up NOT DOWN and so on

Your guitar has the sperzel locking tuners right?

I'm surprised you're having tuning instability but there might be a couple things worth looking into.

Do your saddles seem to be cut properly? Sometimes they have burs which will catch on the strings and hold the string exactly where you tuned it until you start playing. While playing you're string may work their way free, and not slide back and forth over the saddle, which will in turn cause it to go flat.

I had an issue with my Gibson Explorer doing something similar to this. The saddles weren't cut properly and the strings couldn't slide over them when bending and so on. I took a very fine file and just did a few light passes over each notch in the saddle and that solved about 95% of the issues I was having. Beyond that I started wrapping my strings over the top of the bridge instead of the normal way, and that corrected the last little bit of tuning instability I had.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I've owned the guitar for 11 months now - it's always had tuning issues, ever since I got it. I've changed the strings about 5 times in that span.

I wouldn't be surprised if the saddles were the culprit, hence this thread. As I said, the whole bridge looks banged up and grimy. It has heavy wear; it's been played hard.

Here's a pic. I've tried cleaning it, vigorously and multiple times. That stuff that looks like grime doesn't come off.

As for the tuners, I'm not sure what brand they are. They have no logo on them. I do know that I don't want to replace them if I don't have to - they don't have the little screw hole that most tuners have. I'm not sure how they're held on. I guess just by the nut on top. They don't move around or budge at all though. The locking mechanism is fairly tight - I turn it until I can't move it without putting in effort, if that makes sense.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 12, 2013,
Just looks like your standard case of oxidisation that's happening on your saddles. Nothing that should cause any tuning issues. But if you still want to change bridges check out the Gotoh 510 Series, all the gotoh items I've used have been high quality and reliable.
What's your opinion? If you don't think it's the bridge, what do you think is the likely culprit?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The nut?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Offworld92
What's your opinion? If you don't think it's the bridge, what do you think is the likely culprit?

Your stringing method, maybe you're not tightening up your tuners enough, your neck is slowly cracking away from the joining area.

I forgot to ask but is this for 1 certain brand of string or for different brands? What tuning are you in? Is this applicable for just 1 string or all strings? How much string length do you have remaining in your tuners?
I use D'Addarios on all of my main guitars. I have no problems with any of my other guitars. It's currently in D Standard, It used to be in C Standard. The issue persists regardless of tuning or gauge. I'm using 11-56 right now. It's all of the strings, but mostly the G string, though that's not surprising. I try to get about 2 wraps around the posts.

I don't do the string lock method on this guitar, because it has locking tuners. I thought they would provide greater stability on their own. I will try the string lock method next time I restring (I use it on all of my other fixed bridge guitars. I don't on my double locking guitars.)

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 13, 2013,
Changing strings 5 times in 11 months is not ideal man.
I try to do it once a month, more if I am going through a patch of gigging
I hate the feel and sound of new strings. Thinking about it I've probably changed less than 5 times. Strings don't even start to sound good til after a month has passed.

In any case, I feel like straw men keep being constructed... I don't have any tuning issues at all on any of my other guitars, and I treat them all the same.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've got guitars that have had the same strings ont hem for over a year now, don't have any problems staying in tune.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the bridge. Those Earvana nuts are as perfect as any nut I've ever seen and if it was the tuners or strings slipping at the tuners, you'd probably be able to see it. The bridge, though, may be slipping. At the least it can't hurt to change that bridge; LTDs didn't get the nice Tonepros bridges until after they stopped having the Earvana nuts, so if you've got the Earvana then you should also have the older, no-name bridge.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for less than the Graph Tech locking bridges with string saver saddles. That will absolutely eliminate any chance of the bridge giving you problems, plus they're properly plated, lock, have more mass, etc.

As for the GFS stuff, it's the same gear you used to get on Epiphones, LTDs, PRS SEs, etc, before they all upped their game. MIK stuff cast to standard import spec, there's nothing special about them. Brass saddles will brighten your tone a bit. There is nothing to suggest it will work any better than your current bridge.

Oh and for the tuners, if there's no visibile screw then they will be mounted with a post underneath the body of the tuner. It's a common design on modern Fenders. I've actually never heard of an ESP or LTD using them, but anyhoo, there are good replacements around, though I'm not sure if you can get them in gold easily.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
This one here? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/graph-tech-resomax-nv2-auto-lock-bridge-with-string-saver-saddles-6mm-posts

I agree about the nut, specifically because it's an Earvana, I don't think it's the culprit. If it wasn't that'd be my primary suspect.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X