I want to start learning songs by ear and wanted to know some good/easy songs to start with, preferably something in the metal genre.
It's not really that simple, keep learning songs through tabs and eventually all the inevitable adjustments you'll have to make will train your ear when it comes interpreting songs. Even once you've got a good ear, I'd still suggest looking at different tabs to see what the consensus is on a certain note.

Also, you're better off trying to learn songs you're REALLY familiar with by ear, I could suggest a million simple metal riffs, but if you don't know them that well you'd have more trouble than with something really complicated that you're already familiar with.
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
It's not really that simple, keep learning songs through tabs and eventually all the inevitable adjustments you'll have to make will train your ear when it comes interpreting songs.

I beg to differ. Back in the day people didn't have access to Ultimate-guitar and not everybody had access to sheet music and tabs and whilst we're on this subject, not all of them had tutors either. Some of them managed to become amazing guitarists.

I'm not going to recommend any songs because
1) I can't really think of a nice easy one to start off with from the top of my head but I do agree with Equals's point that
2) You're probably better off picking a song for yourself. It's a whole lot easier when you're trying to learn a song you know rather than one that has just been given to you. You should be able to work out what songs you like sound hard or easy just from listening to it. Just stick the song on and start working it out.

If the song is in an alternate tuning there is no harm in searching the tab to see what tuning it is in or if there is no tab for the song, finding out what tunings the band usually uses. If you really can't find out I'm sure it will be in the description of a youtube guitar cover.
Also, don't be afraid to keep pausing the song and playing certain parts over and over, even just for one note. This stuff takes time to get good with so don't feel bad if it takes 4,000 replays of one small section to work out the exact note.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I don't have any specific advice when it comes to metal, but you may want to consider something simpler to start with, like just figuring out a certain vocal melody.

Either that or you can just push through an intermediate or difficult song with Transcribe, looping parts over and over at 25%.
Try playing the vocal melodies of your favorite metal tunes.
This really helped me in my ear training and improvisation.
Quote by jmuller6998
I want to start learning songs by ear and wanted to know some good/easy songs to start with, preferably something in the metal genre.

You best weapon to develop a good ear mate is your voice.Sing what you play and play what you sing.Just listening stuff and trying to transcribe them is half the battle.When you sing something with you OWN voice only then you really know it.So try to sing even the scales you practise or the arpeggios or the solo lines you try to learn and after a while try to sing them BEFORE you play them etc etc etc.In the end its all about the intervals.If you internalize them then you are well on your way .
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at May 12, 2013,
Quote by Dreamdancer11
You best weapon to develop a good ear mate is your voice.Sing what you play and play what you sing.Just listening stuff and trying to transcribe them is half the battle.When you sing something with you OWN voice only then you really know it.So try to sing even the scales you practise or the arpeggios or the solo lines you try to learn and after a while try to sing them BEFORE you play them etc etc etc.In the end its all about the intervals.If you internalize them then you are well on your way .

When people say sing scales do you mean like... "Do Re Mi"? Or just like... "La Dee Dah Dee Buu Dum"? LMFAO I'm sorry. Serious question tho...
Like am I supposed to sing the SOUNDS of the notes I'm playing?
Quote by J2G
When people say sing scales do you mean like... "Do Re Mi"? Or just like... "La Dee Dah Dee Buu Dum"? LMFAO I'm sorry. Serious question tho...

Either way really, the real point is that you should know the sound of what you're doing well enough that you could sing what you're playing at the same time without missing anything. It's about shortening the connection between your brain and musical expression with your chosen instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4crt7yubBAI
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
What Zaphod said.

And also i have to disagree with EqualOfHeaven. I think it's a great thing that you want to start learning by ear and go away from tabs. After a few weeks of practice i was able to throw tabs and notation away completely and nowadays i learn purely by ear.

However, it will be REALLY slow and difficult at first, but like with anything the more you practice it and do it then better and faster you'll be able to do it.

I recommend starting with what people have mentioned already, vocal melodies from old heavy metal bands or power metal bands is a great place to start. If you like stuff like iron maiden that is great too, cause they often use very similar chord progressions within their songs, and their melodies are great.

But yeah, just keep practicing it man. Even if it's only like a 5 second part of a song, if you get that done in one day you have improved your ear a little that day. I'd recommend doing stuff like thinking about a melody and trying to play it afterwards aswell. Cause the ultimate goal is to be able to play whatever you want. You can also work at this with a backing track, play the backing track, listen and try to come up with an idea in your head and then try to find it on the guitar.

Cheers!
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by J2G

Yes and yes.Use solfege syllables,use your own.." la la la" " na na na " or just the sound of the notes.Doesnt matter.Its the only way to build the connection between the movements your hands are doing(lets face it sometimes are all muscle memory) and the sounds you hear in your head(or on the record).

Take transcribing a tune for example.You ll find out that you can recreate almost every line you can actually sing, on your guitar.But its not that easy.It takes practise and you actually have to do it and not think..."oh ok that part is easy, i can hear it, moving on...".Even the fast solo sections its far more rewarding to actually try to slow them down with your mind and sing them(even slow portions of them at the time) than to use tabs.Tabs are like a crutch.Use them for everything and you wont be able to "walk" so to speak. Singing what you play and the opposite makes you learn your intervals, associate them with finger movements etc etc etc.Do ear training all day long.If your voice wont come and play, the connection ll never be built .