I just moved to a new apartment and apparently the walls are thinner than it was advertised to me during my initial visit (what a surprise). I only have a 15w amp and my neighbors bang on the walls when I turn it up more than 10%. Conclusion : I need to get a pair of headphones.

Problem is I don't know what I should get. I already have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M20 and quite honestly they suck. It takes all of the life out my sound and it makes me wana puke (not a surprise looking at the price now). It's like it actually cuts out half the wavelengths I usually hear (I have no idea what I'm talking about). I need a pair that I can plug in directly into my amp (unless there's a better not to expensive alternative (I mean these new headphones are probably going to cost between 100$-300$ dollars already)), isolate the sound and give me the closest thing to the authentic amp sound on it's own.

I don't record, I just like to play and compose as a hobby. I like to play with high distortion and a fair amount of mid and treble and little bit of reverb. But I also want it to sound good when I play clean. Eventually I plan to get a bigger amp like 80w+ (like the Mesa Boogie Mark V or triple rectifier) so I would like for the same pair of headphones to be flexible enough to sound good on both. Please someone give me some advice asap. This horrible sound I'm getting from my current headphones is just depressing.

What should I look for?
Last edited by patrick.dallair at May 11, 2013,
What amp are you currently using? You're always going to take a loss on tone when using headphones.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Yeah, little headphones speakers can't really be compared with the usual 12'' guitar speakers.
I have a line 6 spider 3 15w amp. I was expecting some kind of loss, the least possible amount would be great. If studios use headphones they mustn't be all that bad.
Quote by patrick.dallair
I have a line 6 spider 3 15w amp. I was expecting some kind of loss, the least possible amount would be great. If studios use headphones they mustn't be all that bad.

Studios use headphones, but not for the same thing you want.
id get some AKG headphones.... i have a set of AKG K551 little over 300 but they are magnificent. incredibly durable too. there are ones in the 200 dollar range that arejust as great too.

re read your thread..

you could look into getting a headphone amp/dac as well that may help drive your headphones better.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at May 12, 2013,