Page 1 of 3
I have been into post rock for about 3 months, and I feel exactly like when I first discovered the grunge.
I know that ambiental music like post-rock isn't made for mass popularity, but I feel that is the reason why they can keep their egos (and wallets) out of the way of creating music. But there are obviously many post-rock fans all around the world.

Do you think that post-rock will ever break through in the mainstream? Cheers.

(little high, excuse if what I wrote up there feels uncomfortable for reading..)
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Several bands already have. If you are asking if it will become the new pop and be as big as Michael Jackson or something then no, it would have to be watered down a lot.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Explosions in the sky broke into the mainstream kinda. Only post-rock band people who didn't know about music knew. They just called them "instrumental" tho
Yeah, no.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I can't take any genre seriously if it has the word "post" in it.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by CaptainCanti

Have you ever listened to any? Do you know why it's called "post"-rock?
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Well, I mean, Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky have a sizable following (as a couple people have already pointed out).

I'm not sure if post-rock will ever catch the eye of the mainstream, though. It's a style of music that certainly has a following (I mean, I quite like it) but I guess most people are drawn to more accessible styles of music. I'm not sure that people would want to take the time to listen to a 10+ minute Yndi Halda song.
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
Have you ever listened to any? Do you know why it's called "post"-rock?

I'm going to politely assume it was created by pretentious scenesters.
¯\_()_/¯
It was actually created by a music critic doing a review of an album by bark psychosis
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
lol

no
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I like Explosions In The Sky. I don't know if post-rock fans will look down on that as "mainstream, sellout post-rock," or something, but I like them. I've played them for a lot of people and nobody really objects to it, but I don't see it ever becoming truly mainstream: no catchy vocal choruses or dance-ability.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
I have been into post rock for about 3 months, and I feel exactly like when I first discovered the grunge.
I know that ambiental music like post-rock isn't made for mass popularity, but I feel that is the reason why they can keep their egos (and wallets) out of the way of creating music. But there are obviously many post-rock fans all around the world.

Do you think that post-rock will ever break through in the mainstream? Cheers.

(little high, excuse if what I wrote up there feels uncomfortable for reading..)
You discovered grunge? Thanks for that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
EITS are mainstream, but they lack any artistic integrity and regurgitate the first five minutes of Sleep on every song that they've ever done while still managing to exclude everything exciting about that song. They represent every reason that I don't want the genre in the public's eye.
Well I think... [Insert totally subjective opinion that doesn't matter, is based on semantics and won't enrich your thinking at all]

Really crap threads like this are allowed to continue their trainwreck into oblivion and people ripping on Ian/due yet "how often do you jerk it?" is closed? I mean that's something meaningful that we can all relate to.

And in case you're wondering at least twice a day. Often more.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Swannie
I don't see it ever becoming truly mainstream: no catchy vocal choruses or dance-ability.

Yep. There are definitely relatively more accessible post-rock bands, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrpKoiPc_PI

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Post-Rock fans are the most insufferable fans on the planet.

Quote by anvil is god
EITS are mainstream, but they lack any artistic integrity and regurgitate the first five minutes of Sleep on every song that they've ever done while still managing to exclude everything exciting about that song. They represent every reason that I don't want the genre in the public's eye.

*cough*
Well what are you calling mainstream?

Beause I mean, bar being on MTV, Sigur Ros, EITS and TWDY are all about as popular as a band could really want to be. It's not like Post-Rock is some unspoken secret shared by 15 guys in a garage.
Post-rock is in the best position it can be in. It's a popular genre, but not to the point that it loses its authenticity. If I am ever a famous musician I'd want to be famous in the way Sigur Ros, Godspeed, etc. are because you'd be renowned worldwide without being so big that you have nowhere to go and just about everyone knows you.
Quote by CaptainCanti

Then, you're ignorant. Half the music on the radio is Post-Grunge or Alternative, after all.

I don't really get Post-Rock. I keep listening to a few bands but I don't really get it. I really like Post-Metal though.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Ugh. I hope it doesn't get more popular. Post-Rock fans are the most insufferable fans on the planet.

I'd have to agree.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 11, 2013,
Erm. Rock has never even faded away at all. Nor has it ever not been in the mainstream. There is no such thing as post rock.
Quote by Wormholes
Erm. Rock has never even faded away at all. Nor has it ever not been in the mainstream. There is no such thing as post rock.

I don't think you get what "Post-" means, in regards to music genres.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I don't think you get what "Post-" means, in regards to music genres.

+1, post-punk existed within like 2 or 3 years of punk coming to exist.
Quote by Wormholes

It's just a name. Traditional band instruments were being used more for texture and timbre, a new development for the genre. For some reason, "post" got slapped on it stuck. But it really just means "new." It's similar to the term "post modern."

Another thing is to never take genre titles seriously. I'm mean, look at neo-classical metal.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at May 11, 2013,
Quote by rockingamer2
It's just a name. Traditional band instruments were being used more for texture and timbre, a new development for the genre. For some reason, "post" got slapped on it stuck. But it really just means "new." It's similar to the term "post modern."

Another thing is to never take genre titles seriously. I'm mean, look at neo-classical metal.

...which is neither Metal nor Classical.
I didn't really know what it was so I looked it up. It isn't offensive to listen to, but it's terribly boring. I couldn't listen to it for extended periods of time. It just kind of blends in with the walls. It sounds like background music or something.
I feel like some of it gets mainstream exposure but it's extremely limited; that is, nobody will even know what the title of the song or the name of the band is. for example, I was playing a riff from "The Mighty Rio Grande" by This Will Destroy You, and my roommate recognized it from some baseball movie that had came out a few years ago. He had only heard that one riff and couldn't name the song or band.

But getting mainstream enough for music vids on VH1 and shit, i doubt it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
Quote by CaptainCanti
I'm going to politely assume it was created by pretentious scenesters.

this guy

anyways, post rock does seem to be increasing in popularity, but for the most part I think it's a very promising genre that shows much sincerity and emotional depth. The genre itself allows for very grandoise dynamics and complex arrangements... the music is often as focused about ambience and "feel" as it is about form. The lack of limitations and rules I think gives it a lot of potential as a genre. I hope it doesn't get exploited to the point where the post rock "climax" sound becomes a trope like a dubstep drop.

I was introduced to postrock around 2007 by a band named 65daysofstatic, and though I haven't checked out a million other postrock bands since, I've listened through a few albums by 65dos, Mogwai, God is an Astronaut, etc, that became very personal experiences each time I listened to them. I actually just watched a local post rock band last night, and they are actually also the first band that my band played live with. Their name is Spruce Trap, consists of one guy with a guitar and ton of pedals, a bassist, and a drummer, and though they haven't got much else but low quality videos and practice room recordings, I invite you to check them out. They put on an absolutely overwhelming live show, incredibly tight and clean. I don't think any of them are older than 19 or 20 too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjt_bnauM5M
Last edited by piratemetalhead at May 12, 2013,
Quote by anvil is god

yep.
I love the album "The earth is not a cold, dead place" but that's about it. The rest all sounds the same.
In regards to the popularity, GY!BE, EITS, Sigur Ros and TWDY are about as popular now as any band from the genre will ever be.

I like a few Godspeed albums, the previously mentioned EITS album and Slint. Slint were the bomb, but is that even real post rock? I dunno man.

When t first happened I guess it would have been pretty cool, but there's only so many clean build ups to frantic crescendoes one can handle.

Post metal, on the other hand, seems to have fewer constraints, or at least wider scope/sonic ground. That is a type of music that will never fail to be innovative. At least for a little while.
wut is pos rock?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
As I understand, isn't Slint actually considered alternative?

Slint's really old Post-Rock before it turned into what it sounds like now.

Quote by neidnarb11890
no dork, alternative is like, R.E.M.

^ nigga knows what's up.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by neidnarb11890
no dork, alternative is like, R.E.M.

Oh, hey...thanks for telling me. I'll let my brain know that it didn't already know that fact.

"What's that, brain? You actually did know that?! Well, damn..."

All sarcasm aside, Sonic Youth is where it's at, man.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Slint's really old Post-Rock before it turned into what it sounds like now.

Ah, fair enough.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 12, 2013,
^
Well done, Morph!

@neidnarb11890:
I thought that might be the case, but figured I'd just check (in a somewhat sarcastic way).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 12, 2013,
Quote by neidnarb11890
my post was intended more as a tongue-in-cheek expose of the vagueness of labels like "alternative" than as an earnest correction of yr comment. Slint would totally fit under the umbrella of "alternative". they have about as much in common with R.E.M. as they do with Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

jsyk.

...that's exactly how I read it.

Then again, 90% of my posts are smarmy and sarcastic, so I'm pretty fluent in the language.
Quote by T7E
Post metal, on the other hand, seems to have fewer constraints, or at least wider scope/sonic ground. That is a type of music that will never fail to be innovative. At least for a little while.

I dunno about that. Obviously it just comes down to opinion but I've found so many great post-rock bands and they're all pretty different. I've started listening to the genre loads over the last few months so that means it probably is increasing in popularity.

But post-metal, well I've loved ISIS for years. I've checked out probably a similar number of post-metal as I have post-rock and there's definitely more 'same'ness in post-metal than post-rock.

So from what I've seen/heard I'd say you've got it the wrong way round (and I started listening to post from a metal point of view so you'd think I'd be biased that way).

Anyway, one excellent thing about post-rock is the amount of bands putting their stuff out for free or really cheap. Good stuff. I'd like to see where this genre goes but I really doubt and I don't want it to go much bigger than it is, just maybe even more creative.

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Page 1 of 3