Whatever genre the Pixies are/were, I wanna play that kind of music. Not in the sense that I want to copy them, but their kind of sound. But whenever I write anything, it ends up sounding really dark and depressing. I know what kind of music they played (don't know the genre,ect, but the sound and whatnot), but I can't exactly put a name to what they did and how they did it.
¯\_()_/¯
Since you don't really understand the Pixies, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't listen to them much. The only way I found the authentically be influenced by someone is to actively listen to them or else you will never really connect with the music.
you're never as free as when you are lost
1) Listen to the Pixies.
2) Figure out what you like about the Pixies.
3) Figure out how to do those things.
4) Write music in which you do those things.
5) Repeat as necessary.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by GuitarQ33r0
Since you don't really understand the Pixies, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't listen to them much. The only way I found the authentically be influenced by someone is to actively listen to them or else you will never really connect with the music.

I listen to them quite often, actually. Its just hard putting a finger on what elements they actually put into their music.
¯\_()_/¯
The Pixies have a style that is solidified by their vocalist. As with most bands like that, no matter how hard you try you'll never sound like The Pixies because you won't have Black Francis singing for you. Their style is very grungy and bleak. There is a dirge to them that's hard to replicate.

However, what you can do is this: Turn your guitar, amp and, pedal to ten, then mess about with a few dissonant chords progressions. Layer some basic drum beats over the top, add quirky lyrics, and you're on your way to sounding like The Pixies. Of course, you'll never get there, but it's the right path to take if that's where you want to go.

Also, wrong forum.