Like the topic says.
I have a Old Marshall Jcm2000 DSL 50 (that has only one volume knob). Its a good head but its very loud and it seems like the gain cannot keep up with the volume. It breaks up after the volume hits "1". Even if gain is maxed out. Will a attenuator or Master volume mod allow for more gain at higher volumes?
I would like a very tight "liquid" feeling with the gain rather than the crunch feeling it gives now.
Wait...you've got the gain cranked and you're surprised that it's breaking up? Am I reading that right?
So, you have a gain control all the way up, and at one you're saying it's got break-up (distortion).

Yes?

No?

I don't get it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I think you need a new amp. What I understand from your post is that the distortion doesn't sound the way you would like it to sound.

Attenuator will allow you to get power amp distortion at lower volumes, not higher because at higher volumes you automatically get power amp distortion.

If you need more distortion, buy an OD pedal and boost your amp.

But I think the fault is in your amp - the distortion sound isn't what you are looking for.

I don't know if I understood your post though.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I, like everyone else here, is pretty confused by what you are actually wanting. More gain at higher volumes? Yes you will get that. Less gain at high volumes? Turn your gain down. More pre-amp gain at lower volumes? You are already achieving that. More power-amp gain at lower volumes? Buy an attenuator.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
He's saying he's got his gain maxed out but isn't getting enough gain at low volumes. He has to put his volume past 1 to get the level of break up he desires (power amp breakup I'm guessing) but its too loud to play with. So he wonders if a master volume or attenuator will solve his problem to get the power amp breakup with low volumes.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Mad_Mod
Like the topic says.
I have a Old Marshall Jcm2000 DSL 50 (that has only one volume knob). Its a good head but its very loud and it seems like the gain cannot keep up with the volume. It breaks up after the volume hits "1". Even if gain is maxed out. Will a attenuator or Master volume mod allow for more gain at higher volumes?
I would like a very tight "liquid" feeling with the gain rather than the crunch feeling it gives now.

I have a JCM2000 DSL100 (same thing more watts) and it is easy to get pretty heavy distortion from it.

Are you using the classic channel or the ultra channel? I play in a Punk/Hardcore band and a Prog-metal band my DSL has no problem producing enough gain.

I use the ultra channel with the button out and only have my gain knob at 6.5. I do use a Bad Monkey and a GFS Greenie for boost to get a little extra gain, but is is not over the top by any means. This really helps get that "liquid" tone you are describing.

So what style of music do you play?
What are your settings on the entire amp?
What switches are being used (deep/mid shift)?
What channel and mode are you using on the amp?
What speakers/cab are you using?

Answer these questions and I can help you much better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate