Hi, i wanted to know if someone who has a goal to become a Rock/heavy metal guitarist what are the essential techniques he should learn?
i mean does he concentrate on things most beginners do like learning open chords etc or can he straightaway move onto those techniques which would help him to play heavier stuff.
Do both. That is, learn the chord in full and the rock version. Learn the sound of both and how it functions. That way you're prepared for world domination as well.

But learning chords is not technique. Technique is butchering pure sound and, s&m lovers that we are, its quite enjoyable. Apply techniques to anything and everything... but also know your limitations. Technique on its own is a very long process that needs constant attention, much like a needy woman.

As for what techniques? Well, everything. Basic techniques would be hammer on, pull off, palm muting, fret hand muting, slides, applying enough pressure to chords and notes that avoid buzzing but also don't apply too much as to tax your hand. A loose wrist for strumming and picking. Being aware of tension in your shoulder, upper arm, forearm and wrist and learning to minimise it before getting rid of it (it is quite a process in the beginning as tension seems to play tag with different sections). The most important - correct posture (I think Freepower still has the posture vids on youtube when he was young and Irish. Now he's just Irish).

Regarding muting: start off first by getting to mute correctly - that means no stray notes lingering at first. Then learn to mute rhythmically using the picking hand first, then only the left, yada yada yoda. Percussive techniques are expansions of this principle.

Hope it helps
Power chords are all you need.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
music is a language. Metal uses the same language all the other genres do, it just speaks with a different accent.
Learn music. Learn everything you can about it. Learn everything you can about the guitar and different ways to produce sound.
Keep learning. Never stop.
Quote by BoogieShinbones
music is a language. Metal uses the same language all the other genres do, it just speaks with a different accent.

Oh my god, sig'd.

Basically, what this guy said.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
if someone who has a goal to become a Rock/heavy metal guitarist what are the essential techniques he should learn?

I believe for that you need to learn such basic techniques and methods as power chords, muting, hammer-ons, alternate picking, etc. A friend of mine can sing and knows chords, but he doesn't really know ho to play rock/metal because of lack of knowing the stuff I listed before. You also may skip barre chords, finger picking but they still can be awesomely used in such genres.

Powerslide.

oh lol
Last edited by Zaqq at Aug 20, 2013,
You gotta have the basics down before launching down any specific path. You could try to skip right down to the specifics but you'd be screwing yourself down the road later.

That said, rock and metal don't use that many techniques that don't pop up in other genres.

open chords
barre chords
power chords
double stops
fast picking and runs
sliding
bending
pull offs
hammer ons
vibrato
pedal tones
palm muting

A decent guitarist of any genre should be able to do all of those proficiently.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Aug 25, 2013,