Good day, everyone!

All Dressed Up

UG Link to new mix version

I had the instrumentals for this song recorded from very long ago, I thought I'd give it some vocal love today for fun. I am not the greatest vocalist, haha, but what do you think so far?

C4C welcomed! (Also if anyone is keen to collab on the vocals with me, that would be great fun)
Last edited by katphish at May 21, 2013,
katphish,
The intro reminded me a bit of early Rush. After that, it's somewhat pop punk I'd say (nothing wrong with that). The snare gets a bit repetitive at times. I like the guitar harmonics/high notes at ~1:45. Vocals are OK, but a bit pitchy at times. I like the guitar riffs. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1601212
I liked the intro, was kind of disappointed when the rest of the instruments came in, actually. Sort of reminds me of a Johnny Foreigner song. Feel like the guitar needs to stand out a bit more. More in my-face or something, it just kind of sits back there as is, although that is just my personal preference when it comes to these type of songs. Part that starts around 1:40 was nice, especially that guitar riff. You should have continued with that into a bridge or something instead of returning to the intro riff.
Song was a bit more fun than I thought it'd be, I'd just touch up the mix a bit.
Please critic back https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1600587
I think the vocals were really cool, even though they weren't perfectly in tune all the time. They had character. But I think the drum beat is a bit too aggressive. I would have had less snare in the beat - I would have replaced the first and third beat snares with a bass drum.

I liked the song, yeah, it was a nice song. But I agree with Joshua1207. The intro kind of made me expect something more epic from the rest of the song. I didn't really like the aggressive drum beat and the drums may be a bit too loud, I don't know. I liked the guitar melody around 1:40.

Here's my song, check it out: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1601304
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I think it could've been a lot better. The vocals (as a singer myself) were pitchy and kind of annoying actually. The drums were too much, there needed to be more melody, there was no harmony. The snare was annoying. I prefer more of the type of beat like at 2:15, that's where it started to get cool, then the vocals came in again..sorry man. Please don't sing. And the back up vocals at 2:50, please no. But, if you arranged all of it by yourself. I guess the only thing I liked was the guitar progressions, the beginning,and that one cool part from 2:08- 2:25.
Quote by sguziewicz1
I think it could've been a lot better. The vocals (as a singer myself) were pitchy and kind of annoying actually. The drums were too much, there needed to be more melody, there was no harmony. The snare was annoying. I prefer more of the type of beat like at 2:15, that's where it started to get cool, then the vocals came in again..sorry man. Please don't sing. And the back up vocals at 2:50, please no. But, if you arranged all of it by yourself. I guess the only thing I liked was the guitar progressions, the beginning,and that one cool part from 2:08- 2:25.

I want to defend TS's vocals and song. I agree with the thing you said about drums. They could be improved. But I think he had character in his voice and I liked the song. And really, don't tell somebody to stop singing. That's not good advice. You can always improve your technique and sound. I think it's just good that TS has balls to sing.

I know you either like or hate TS's voice. But I kind of liked it. I think they reminded me a bit of Ace Frehley and maybe something like Dave Mustaine when he sings high notes. Just came to my mind when I heard the vocals. I don't know if TS really has similar voice but it just brought Ace and Mustaine to my mind (neither of them are really great singers but they have character in their voice).

And what are you talking about? No melody, no harmony? I can clearly hear melody and harmony.

It was punk rock, it's not meant to be perfect. Attitude is what matters and that's what this song definitely has.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at May 16, 2013,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I want to defend TS's vocals and song. I agree with the thing you said about drums. They could be improved. But I think he had character in his voice and I liked the song. And really, don't tell somebody to stop singing. That's not good advice. You can always improve your technique and sound. I think it's just good that TS has balls to sing.

I know you either like or hate TS's voice. But I kind of liked it. I think they reminded me a bit of Ace Frehley and maybe something like Dave Mustaine when he sings high notes. Just came to my mind when I heard the vocals. I don't know if TS really has similar voice but it just brought Ace and Mustaine to my mind (neither of them are really great singers but they have character in their voice).

And what are you talking about? No melody, no harmony? I can clearly hear melody and harmony.

It was punk rock, it's not meant to be perfect. Attitude is what matters and that's what this song definitely has.

You're right about the singing thing, I typed that, and meant to take it out when I was proof reading it. Just to me, I can tell when someone can sing and when someone can't. Though if you really want to go for it, go ahead. Obviously there was melody, but little. Harmony was hard to hear because of the drums.
Quote by sguziewicz1
You're right about the singing thing, I typed that, and meant to take it out when I was proof reading it. Just to me, I can tell when someone can sing and when someone can't. Though if you really want to go for it, go ahead. Obviously there was melody, but little. Harmony was hard to hear because of the drums.

Yeah, I mostly agree with you. The melody wasn't really melodic but it was punk rock - not really a melodic genre. I could hear the harmony pretty well. But yeah, the drums are too loud and too aggressive.

I can hear that TS isn't a great singer but he has character in his voice. Dave Mustaine and Ace Frehley weren't great singers but they had character in their voice and as I said TS's vocals reminded me a bit of them.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Ok, I get you there. =) I guess I just spoil myself with better singers. Maybe I just kind of mark off that whole sound as repetitive. I don't know.
Hahaha! Thanks for the feedback guys

I know I'm not the greatest singer, but I have no one else to sing for me, so I figured I'll just do it myself! Soundcloud is being weird for some reason, so I uploaded the newer version to my UG account...

All Dressed Up (Remixed)

I redid some drum parts, and most of the vocal parts, let me know what you think of the new mix

The original link should work again once Soundcloud have sorted their crud out, hopefully!
I listened to the remix. Interesting intro. When everything kicks in, it was compelling! The driving drums and the octaves gave the song attitude and emotion that I liked. I thought your vocals were good and suited the song, albeit they were sometimes off. Cool solo ~1:32. The outro was nice but I thought it ended abruptly and I wish the vocals were more melodic.
The mix sounded 'boxed'. Try to scoop some of the mids around 400 Hz to open up the mix. This is my kind of music and I enjoyed this. Good job!
C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602456
I like your vocals! Your intonation could be better but your singing voice is fairly unique, I like it. Near the end during the "they say, we waste the day..." part the pitch was a little off, was a bit distracting. I actually though the drums fit quite well, the driving beat added some real energy to the song. The melody near the end was cool and the whole song is pretty catchy. I think your snare could have a little more "THWACK!" to it, the snare on your song "Bad Things Happen To Me" had a lot more punch. Aside from the slightly pitchy vox near the end it's very well done!