Hey, looking to swap out the pickups (or at very least the bridge pickup) for my Kramer Striker 211 as the ones I got in there are a little weak sounding.

It's a HSS setup with a maple neck / fingerboard and a mahogany body.

The kind of sound I like is that real glam-esque sound; Reckless Love, Europe (Final Countdown - Prisoners in Paradise era), H.E.A.T, that kinda thing.

I've been thinking I might just change up the bridge pickup for now as thats the one I use 95% of the time and do the others further down the line. At the moment it looks like the Duncan Screamin' Demon or the Dimarzio Super Distortion both seem like pretty sound choices?

Any other ideas or anything? I've never switched up pickups before so I don't really have a clue in this area.

Cheers!
Last edited by fwatt at May 12, 2013,
What amp do you have?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I usually just play direct into PC, use impulses, VSTs and the sort. Not currently in a band and it makes it easier for apartment living.
We absolutely NEED to know what amp you are playing.
There's no point in upgrading pickups if you are playing through a low-end modelling amp or some cheap solid state practice amp.

In case you have a nice amp though (or plan to upgrade it ASAP) here are my thoughts:

HSS is IMO rather hard to get right.
I play an HSS Strat myself and I'm still messing around what kind of pickup-combination might be the optimal.

As your guitar is most probably using 250K pots and you are playing hair-metal kind of stuff, I will go ahead and say Duncan JB or Dimarzio Norton. The Screaming Demon might also work with 250K pots as it's a rather bright pickup BUT it isn't a powerful high output monster as its name suggests. In facts, it's kind of a PAF-voiced pickup with PAF-ish output.

The Super Distortion might get too dark with 250K pots, however, if you switch to 500K pots, it will probably do just fine for the music.

That would also mean that you would either have to wire some capacitors to the singlecoils to tame the added highs through the 500K pots. Also the Super Distortion will massively overpower the singlecoils. Thus you might also want to switch to stacked singlecoils, but you'll figure out yourself.

EDIT: You don't need new pickups for your current setups, save your money.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Everything JesusCrisp says it totally valid
I came here to suggest the Dimarzio Super Distortion too so his added JB/Norton comments provide a great extra dimension.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Pickup threads always remind me how much this forum needs a better "Ultimate Pickup Thread". I know we have one, but the PU-descriptions in it are pretty vague, sometimes kinda off and a huge amount of pickups are missing, even from the most popular choices (Duncans, Dimarzios, Fenders, EMGs, etc.).
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I have found the Dimarzio Super Distortion to be "the" sound I was looking for for that type of hard rock/metal. I tried BKP holy divers a twice the cost and the just don't have the extra sizzle needed , I am not saying the BKPs suck because those have a wider more articulate sound just was not the true 80s sound I was looking for.

Amps I have Marshall 9004 pre>8008 valvestate, Marshall at150h, I also use a Digitech rp-7 > board and can say the Super Distortion is my most favorite.
I have an seymore Duncan sh-6 and that is not as good.

You really need something hot and sizzly and passive and that cleans up good rolling back on the volume for clean tones

I think Dimarzios being ceramic vs. Alnico V is why they sound better. And I think it was the main pup used then on most recordings in that time period.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at May 12, 2013,
Sorry , getting over a flu. You have Alnico V most likely cheap ones , if you have an ohm meter measure them see what you get, 12-13 maybe. If you can do this , this will hep greatly in finding different pups.
AlnicoV need to be more like 15-17 to be a "hot" sounding pup, ceramic don't need to be as high ohms to sound as hot or hotter my super distortion has a lower ohms than my sh6 but has more output.
What the hell!!!
Thanks for the responses guys!

JesusCrisp (or anyone else with the knowledge) do you think you could elaborate on why changing up pickups would not have a noticeable impact on my tone if I was recording/playing direct into PC?
Regarding recording, it all depends on what you got and how you are using it. I can hear a difference on my stuff.
What the hell!!!
Quote by fwatt
Thanks for the responses guys!

JesusCrisp (or anyone else with the knowledge) do you think you could elaborate on why changing up pickups would not have a noticeable impact on my tone if I was recording/playing direct into PC?

The weak sound might not be due to your pickups but due to your "amp". Upgrading your pickups makes a difference through any amp but different pickups are more like fine tuning your sound. They won't make you sound miles better. If you know that you just need some minor adjustment to your tone, then a pickup upgrade might be what you want to do (or then just tweak your EQ settings - that's the cheapest way). But if you want much better sound, you need a new amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Then explain to me why my super distortion sounds way better than my sh6 thru a rp7 into a board. For 80s style.
What the hell!!!