I wonder if there's anything wrong with sweeping diagonal (starting at bridge pup, ending at neck pup) in terms of economy of motion, since your picking hand covers a bigger distance between strings than it would when sweeping in a standard vertical motion.
baab
No....cause basically most people when they sweep they form a small ellipse with their picking hand(that is what you are doing too).This ellipse some times is very small and sometimes very pronounced but that doesnt hurt the end result.
What is different in your case is the direction cause most people start the elliptical circle from the neck towards the bridge and you do it the other way around.All in all there is nothing wrong about it .
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at May 12, 2013,
When the picking hand is the limiting factor in sweeping speed I think you're probably doing it fast enough anyway
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
When the picking hand is the limiting factor in sweeping speed I think you're probably doing it fast enough anyway

As of right now, my left hand is considerably faster than my right hand - when doing ascending sweeps, that is. When descending it's all synced up. I'll try to illustrate with a video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=59Q5WdTXxVs#t=14s

I'd say I'm able to do the ascending sweep at 0:16 clean and even at 50% of the original speed, and the descending sweep that comes right after it at 90% of the original speed.
baab
Then you're looking for problems in the wrong place, obviously I can't say for 100% certain without seeing you play but I would definitely suggest that this isn't the issue.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
Why do you have to sweep at a diagonal? Obviously it's less efficient, so what are you getting in return? I can't think of anything.

I don't know really. Going diagonal feels more comfortable for some reason, and going vertical doesn't feel comfortable at all. Who knows, I might need to give it some time.

edit: Decided to go all vertical now. Found out that loosening the grip on my pick helps to reduce resistance when sweeping strings.
baab
Last edited by My Last Words at May 14, 2013,