so ive went on and off with playing the guitar since i was 16 years old. I recently just picked it back up about 8 months ago, since then this time feels different and im actually rocking some of my favorite riffs. gives you an incredible feeling. ive got 2 new guitars since then, i picked up a yamaha yg700s and a epi les paul special ii (i know, like i said im new) but im just looking for some advice on where to start. ive been mostly teaching myself how to do bends, hammer on's, hammer off's, ive even taught myself the pentitonic scales. (or my version of what they could be [prolly far off]) I have been struggling with some new songs ive been trying to learn (Led Zep - black dog, Joe Walsh - lifes been good and life in the fast lane)
these are just 2-3 ive been looking up tutorials on the last day or two. I know that the old saying "put your 10,000 hours in" is very true non the less but i wouldnt say i have the 10000 hours. i work way to much, when i get home or any spare time i have i try to jam but ive been running into ruts it seems like and i dont wanna get depressed i cant play any eagles songs or zep or sabboth. does anyone have any good advice you would have for me whether it be guitar lessons, websites, or just any advice in general id really appreciate it. Most of the stuff i know right now ive learned off youtube from Marty Schwartz channel.
Pick eight songs you really like. Download tutorial vids, GP6, tabs, and vids of the original and cover versions. Practice these and get them under your belt. In the meantime learn the major scale at all positions from Justin Sandercoe's site.
You really ought to get a great teacher. There is nothing so good as facing someone every week (or at least every two weeks) to get you to increase your capacity and find the time to practice. Secondly, you need to practice efficiently, with a high degree of focus and purpose. If you do this you will improve far more in one hour than the guy who noodles at nothing in particular for three hours.

You mentioned 10,000 hours well funnily enough, on Friday I put up an article on exactly this. It might not take as long as you think: http://stuartbahn.com/10000-hours-of-guitar-practice/
Quote by StuartBahn
You really ought to get a great teacher. There is nothing so good as facing someone every week (or at least every two weeks) to get you to increase your capacity and find the time to practice. Secondly, you need to practice efficiently, with a high degree of focus and purpose. If you do this you will improve far more in one hour than the guy who noodles at nothing in particular for three hours.

You mentioned 10,000 hours well funnily enough, on Friday I put up an article on exactly this. It might not take as long as you think: http://stuartbahn.com/10000-hours-of-guitar-practice/

yeah, ive been really considering it. I just want to get the right teacher. I don't want to just look on google for local guitar instructors because ill run into some 50 year old creep that is going to bore me on trying to learn to read music and just waste my time in general. ive heard far to many stories like this. I would love to if i could find the right teacher. (I live in Orange county, CA if anyone has any feedback) Ive been practicing pretty hard with some of my favorite bands. Ive learned a number of songs (well id call it the main riffs of these songs) like alot of acdc stuff highway to hell, rock n roll aint noise polution, dirty deeds. ive learned the main riff of Layla by clapton and Lifes been good by joe walsh(eagles) to practice my hammer ons and pull offs, and just a bunch of random riffs ive found spine tingling and exciting. I dont wanna say i feel stuck, because im always having fun and always practicing when i can, but I just feel like im not making the progress i was when usually i would think i should be making more progress than before. but anyway thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks for being cool about it.
Quote by PSimonR
Pick eight songs you really like. Download tutorial vids, GP6, tabs, and vids of the original and cover versions. Practice these and get them under your belt. In the meantime learn the major scale at all positions from Justin Sandercoe's site.

Thank you I am actually making a list of just a few songs right now, maybe not 8 but im gunna start with 2-3 and make some magic happen