I play a Diezel VH4 and gig quite often (average of 2 times a month). I really like the versatility and the sound of it. The immense clarity ant tightness is according to me unmatched. I haven't tried the Hagen yet, but otherwise it's only the mark V that comes close.

And now to the point. My Diezel, as much as I like the tone and features of it, is giving me a lot of troubles lately. In the past year, I needed a retube, a repair on the midi computer, and now the amp is back into repair for something serious. I don't know yet what it'll be, but it doesn't look good.

What should I do? Do I keep repairing the bloody thing or sell it and get something else? And if so, what? I played many amps, but not all of them offcourse. We play metal, fast riffs, there's a lot of punch in our sound. What I considder at the moment: Diezel Hagen, Mesa Mark V, Engl SE, Engl Victor smolski, maybe DAR?

I have 2 backup amps: Orange Rockerverb 100 and a dual rectumfrier, but both are not versatile or modern sounding enough to use as main amp every week.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
The VH4 holds it value quiet well. I would try to keep it and repair it. What year is it?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Posted in the other forum also

You may want to look at a Bogner Extacy if you have never played one.

Framus make some great amps but a Diezel is a Diezel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yea, I had the same problems with my Hagen. Arcing power tube socket, MIDI controller broke and needed replacement (luckily Diezel provided a replacement for free) and assorted smaller issues. Plus the VH4 sounds infinitely better than the Hagen. The Hagen isn't anywhere near as tight, and doesn't sit in a mix near as well. Far too much low mid content without enough treble/presence. Haven't had any problems with my Herbert yet as I've only had it a few weeks, but I also haven't had the chance to see how it sits in a mix yet and I'm very scared that it won't do well in that area either.

I know a lot of people have said their were issues with the Mark V at first, not sure if they ironed out all the kinks by now. I like the SE quite a bit, though I prefer the Savage's upper mid growl by a long shot, but neither is built particularly well from the gut shots I've seen, and I'd question long term reliability. You might want to look into a CAA OD100SE+. Had one of those for a while and it was sick, though it might not be modern enough for you. Incredibly reliable though, and easily one of the best built amps I've owned. I've got to head out for mother's day now, but I've got some extra input for you later.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Mark V is flexible but it lacks any oomph of the channel 3.

I played a D'Moll and wish I would have purchased it over Mark V.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
That sucks! Nothing comes close to the VH4's channel 3. I've had mine for 4+ years and a friend gigs it for months and to-date, and has only had the power tubes replaced once. Bullet-proof, so far.

As Matt mentioned, the Hagen isn't as tight (very noticeable to those who have the VH4) and while the Herbert sounds bigger, it's a bit more challenging to dial in properly in the mix and doesn't have the VH4's awesome high Mid. Try them anyway since one might work for you. Both are priced very nicely, Used. I snagged my Herbert for $2250 and I had the chance to get a Hagen for 2450.

I'd watch out for another VH4 if I were you. You already know that nothing sounds like it.
Another one to consider is the ENGL E670: expensive, very versatile, and requires lots of tweaking. It's even more complicated than the Mesa Road King II, but more superior. It easily does Dinosaur Rock to Modern Metal.

I'd get another one as soon as I unload some stuff.
I know that the Mark V doesn't sound like the VH4, but it has the same clarity and is almost as tight as the VH4 and it's very versatile too. Mesa roadkings are hard to find second hand, and the Engl SE isn't really my cup of tea. I played it yesterday again, and it's off my list. Sounds a little bit too processed to me. I much more preferred the Victor smolski.
I'd considder the CAA, but again, can't find any second hand...
I played the Framus Cobra before, and it was a HUGE dissapointment to me. Not much definition, not good in the mix.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 13, 2013,