Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to ready this.

I'm about to buy a new amp, probably the Peavy 6505 combo. I just wanted to get some final feedback before I make my decision. I'll just give a bit more info about my setup and the tones I like. I'm also considering the JSX amp, given how much I like that channel.

I'm currently using an Ibanez RG1570 played through a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120, the largest of the Vypyr series. It's served me well, but now I'm looking to get a really high end amp. My favourite tone is definitely found using the JSX simulating channel (on green), very high gain, but with the guitar pots turned to make a warm tone, but I also really like the 6505 channel.

My favourite tone generally is really warm, middey, very high gain tones with quite a lot of reverb and delay. The Satriani/Vai type of tones are exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for most from my setup.

Anyway, as for the Peavy 6505. I have a few reservations that I was looking for advice on.

Firstly I've heard it's pretty noisy, will a noise gate definitely be required for the type of high gain warm tone I particularly like? If so, how much will this affect the tone? I've never used a noise gate before.

I hear that the reverb is weak on the 6505, but I do have a reverb pedal. I will probably get a nice delay pedal to go with this amp. Do people recommend any delay pedals that sound great with this amp?

I've also heard the clean tones are quite weak on this amp, but the clean on Peavy Vyper is quite good so I can always use that instead.

I would really prefer to get the combo rather the head. I've been burnt before when choosing my own cabinet. I bought an Engl 412 cab that was way too trebbly. I am really much more into a warm tone. Perhaps my biggest concern is being able to get lovely warm tones. I hope I can find that with the combo 6505.

Any advice on this is much appreciated thanks! Just how much better will this amp sound that my Peavy Vypyr?

kind regards.
Last edited by Dancan at May 12, 2013,
Why aren't you getting the JSX? If that is your favorite model it stands to reason you will like that better than the 6505
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Why aren't you getting the JSX? If that is your favorite model it stands to reason you will like that better than the 6505

x2. They are voiced differently.

At a minimum you should go play the 6505 combo for a good amount of time before you buy. You can find used JSX easily off of GC used gear website.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by dementiacaptain

+1
You can get JSX combos used pretty cheap. Where are you located?

You can also look at the Peavey Ultra/XXX combos. Really similar to the JSX.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
sounds to me like your heading in the wrong direction. if your after vai/satch tones a 6505 is not your best option.

i have a 5150ii which is the same thing as a 6506+. your after the combo, which sounds different than the heads. ive found with the combo a speaker swap will help and a complete retube is essential. i dont care for the combos they sound off to me.

anyway.. the cleans are not pristine cleans because they share the eq and gain controls witht the crunch channel. simple fix: neck pup with the volume rolled back some.

yes the 6505/5150 serries are noisy amps and a noise gate of some form is essential. if your on a budget a boss ns-2 will work or you can get the isp decimator. either one is a fine choice and if you are worried about tone loss adjust your eq to compensate.

now with that said i think you should hold off on the 6505 for a bit. and look at some other options such as:

carvin legacy 1,2 or 3: despite being vai's signature amp it is NOT vai in a box. they are very well rounded versitile pieces of gear. check them out.

keep your current amp. it sounds like you have everything you need right now so why screw with it.
hope that helps
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
i got a 5150 combo and i love it. i put celestion k100s and it has a killer low end now. you can get a good clean tone if you retube it. i put eurotubes standard kit in mine cost $100. the gains pretty much maxed out at between 6 and 7 with stock tubes but with euro tubes it moved it to 10 so i can get more tones and set the rhythm channel with a nice clean.

as for a noise gate i use a boss ns-2 in the loop and the front. cuts out all the extra noise but very slightly robs a little tone. i'm going to switch to better cables to fix that.

also use a zakk wylde overdrive. use to have a line 6 pod x3 pro and pedalboard to add all my effects. it was the best rig i ever had could get almost any sound i wanted but had to sell my stuff to pay the bills

if you want a good professional sounding rig you gotta invest in more than just the amp. you rarely see big bands going straight into the amp and nothing else. i'm sure some do but i highly doubt you'll be able to get Joe Satriani tones that way.

good tone is subjective though and if you think a stock amp sounds great then enjoy it and rock out
esp ltd ec 1000 vb
schecter blackjack atx c -1 aged white
prs se singlecut fully modded

peavey 5150 combo celestion hot 100 speakers
Warm isn't one of the first adjectives I would go to to describe 6505 tone.

I would try the JSX out and the 6505 out in person before you decide.

With a 6505 you can get away with no noise gate depending on how fussy the people around you are about a little bit of preamp hiss. If you get a good gate, you shouldn't notice any real tone loss. I recommend the ISP Decimator.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Oh sorry, I had a lot to mention in that post. I forgot to mention that.

When I looked into the JSX before, some people were saying that it just doesn't have the raw power of the 6505, and I am interested in a more trebbly, high gain rhythm tone as well.

I understand that people often say the JSX is more versatile, so I'll look into it further. Not to mention the fact that I love a liquidy smooth high gain lead tone for soloing, which again seems more like the JSX forte, while the 6505 is more of a blunt tool.

The other problem is that I can't immediately find anywhere to buy the JSX in the UK, hopefully I can give some music shops a call and test one out and buy it from them if I like it.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Last edited by Dancan at May 12, 2013,
Apparently the JSX has been discontinued, and the replacement is the 'Triple XXX II'.

Bit confusing, you'd think that would replace the XXX.
Quote by Dancan
Apparently the JSX has been discontinued, and the replacement is the 'Triple XXX II'.

No the 3120 is the XXX, they just renamed it and gave it EL34 instead of 6L6 tubes stock. Other than that they are the exact same circut

The original Peavey 5150 and 5150 II are now called the Peavey 6505 and 6505+, confused yet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dancan

Yeah, you would think that. Dumb.

Anyway, you pretty much have the differences between the two figured out. All that's left to do now is you really need to spend time with them and come to a decision yourself. I've owned a 5150 combo, a JSX head and a 6505 head, so if you have any specific questions, shoot.

I will note that the 6505 has oodles of gain, and that gain can be utilized in different ways. Yes 90% of people use it to chug away, including myself, but you can do Satriani/Vai with it as well. You just need effects like delay and reverb to get there. The JSX will get there a lot easier, but at the end of the day it's all about preference and what works for YOU.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 12, 2013,
Is is very confusing!

I've read too many criticisms for the XXX to really consider it.

Well perhaps the XXX II my be the closest amp in the current Peavey product line to the JSX, but it's incredibly expensive in the UK, and I sold my cab recently, so I'm really looking to get a combo amp. It doesn't look like you can get an XXX II combo yet.

Perhaps I can find someone, somewhere that's still selling JSX combo amps and shipping them to the UK. I could get one second hand, but I had a bad experience buying second hand previously.

Thanks guys.
Quote by Dancan
Is is very confusing!

I've read too many criticisms for the XXX to really consider it.

Well perhaps the XXX II my be the closest amp in the current Peavey product line to the JSX, but it's incredibly expensive in the UK, and I sold my cab recently, so I'm really looking to get a combo amp. It doesn't look like you can get an XXX II combo yet.

Perhaps I can find someone, somewhere that's still selling JSX combo amps and shipping them to the UK. I could get one second hand, but I had a bad experience buying second hand previously.

Thanks guys.

You can also look at the old Peavey Ultra/Ultra+ combos if you can find one used. The Ultra is what the XXX/JSX was based on and sounds very similar. It is just a 1990's amp so it may not look "new" styling wise.

The XXX is actually really nice and it is what the JSX is based off. There is a XXX combo that can be found pretty cheap aswell

There is the UG favorite Bugera 333XL which is a JSX clone available in a 2x12 combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I love the JSX, it is better manageable in live and studio situation, the 6505 is a bit noisy and over the top but it sits nice in a mix as well. Neither one of the two will get you Satriani's highly effected style, you'll need a ton of effects to pile on top of it to get there (noise gates, compressor, delay, reverb), plus probably his guitars and his tone from his fingers
The JSX is better for an all rounder amp - it can do everything. The 6505 is a one trick pony but it is a trick it does well.
Quote by Robbgnarly
There is the UG favorite Bugera 333XL which is a JSX clone available in a 2x12 combo

That's not the one that catches on fire, is it?
Quote by TremontiAddict
That's not the one that catches on fire, is it?

Yes it is. Rob forgot to tell him to get a fire extinguisher with the money he saved over the Peavey.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
The tone I have from the JSX channel is the best I've gotten out an amp so far, I suppose I'm just looking to get the real deal, rather than a modulation. It's sure to sound a bit better.

I'm not chasing to get as close to Satriani's tone as possible, I'm just using it as an example of the kind of tone I like the most.

Thanks for the feedback, I think versatility is what wins out in the end. I'll see if I can still get a JSX in the UK. I've seen the posts from people working for Peavey that the XXX II is a rebranded JSX, the controls are nearly identical. So I'll look into that one too.
Quote by R45VT
Yes it is. Rob forgot to tell him to get a fire extinguisher with the money he saved over the Peavey.

I figured my statement was good enough

I have an old 333 head and it sounds great, just built like crap

Look for the JSX combo, it is a great amp. The Ultra/Ultra+/XXX is also worth checking out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what do you not like about your current tone?

^^
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
If you can't get a JSX, i normally see a few used Carvin Legacy's on ebay.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.