The pot in my schecter was messed up so i took a 250k ohm pot out of my old strat and put it in my schecter and the difference in tone is signifigant, it sounds brighter and better over all from what the old messed up one did. My question is is the going to be a difference in my tone when i get a new 500k pot to replace it and if so is there any benifit in changing to a 1meg pot? or would a standard 500k pot be the way to go?
If I understood your question correctly yes, pots matter and different value pots sound different. Usually the standard is 250k goes to single coils and 500k goes to passive humbuckers, but in reality you can put anything in there as long as it creates the sound you are looking for. 1meg pot will be close to a sound you get if you bypass the volume completely and wire the pickup directly to switcher or output jack. Try it out.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 12, 2013,
supposedly bigger values are a bit brighter (MaaZeus implied that but i figure it doesn't hurt to spell it out).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You wont notice the difference between 1 meg and 500k, but for humbuckers (with the exception of particularly cutting ones like a JB) 500k is the way to go. Its quite noticeable.
250k is better for smoothing off the top from singles and for a few brighter voiced buckers.
.022uf caps is also the standard for buckers so you dont trim off too much tops when you roll the tone back. .047 for singles.
So should I just get a replacement 500k pot? Does a particular brand matter? I'm running a 250k right now until I get a new one. The pot wasn't capped when I replaced it either O should I cap it to? I'm new to guitar wiring but I installed car audio for 5 years so I know how to work with electronics and wiring.
if you can solder it should be pretty easy, i think

CTS and alpha are meant to make decent pots, i think (and bourns, i think), but i have no experience with buying pots.

when you say "capped" do you mean a treble bleed cap? that's up to you, really. if it's too dark with the volume pot rolled down it'd be worth considering. there are a couple of different ways to implement it, some may sound better than others...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
supposedly bigger values are a bit brighter (MaaZeus implied that but i figure it doesn't hurt to spell it out).

Oops. Thanks for clarification.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^ what you posted was absolutely fine (i think ), i just figured it was worth spelling out in black and white what the difference was.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I want a bright tone any ways so how would I implement the treble bleed cap? And the 22uf cap would be what you were referring to? Any places to read up on custom modifications for guitars.
Quote by sw4l
I want a bright tone any ways so how would I implement the treble bleed cap? And the 22uf cap would be what you were referring to? Any places to read up on custom modifications for guitars.

If its bright you are looking for put in 1meg volume pot (or replace it with on-off switch) and take tone pots out of the circuit (usually all you need to do is clip or desolder one of the cap legs). Dont bother with treble bleed cap unless you play with volume rolled down.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at May 14, 2013,
bear in mind a treble bleed only increases your treble (or more accurately, doesn't remove as much treble) when you roll your volume knob down. it won't affect the tone with the guitar volume knob up full.

http://www.ratcliffe.co.za/articles/volumepot2.shtml

http://diy-fever.com/misc/guitar-wiring-101/#treble_bleed

http://guitarwiring.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/treble-bleed-mod.html

there are some links with info about possible treble bleed circuits you can try.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
bear in mind a treble bleed only increases your treble (or more accurately, doesn't remove as much treble) when you roll your volume knob down. it won't affect the tone with the guitar volume knob up full.

http://www.ratcliffe.co.za/articles/volumepot2.shtml

http://diy-fever.com/misc/guitar-wiring-101/#treble_bleed

http://guitarwiring.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/treble-bleed-mod.html

there are some links with info about possible treble bleed circuits you can try.

Ty for the links and everyone who helped with this.
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?