Hi everybody, I'd like to show you guys some of my songs .

Here: https://soundcloud.com/onni-korhonen

Although I'm not a very good mixer, I'm pretty happy about how the mixing of my latest demo ("Drawbacks") turned out, although I can't say it sounds *professional* good. There is still some stuff in the mix that I'm not happy with like the bass guitar not sticking out enough, so if any nifty tips come to your head I'd be happy to hear them!

The songs "Takes You Away" and "Stop the Loop" are more towards experimental metal than "Drawbacks", which is plain prog-metal with some weird ideas.

"Other Way Around" on the other hand is a very mellow song that doesn't take a lot of your time .

"Water Dream" is a cliche ambient song, with some guitar in it towards the end.

Thanks for checking me out! I'd be interested in hearing out your songs, so if you decide to comment, link me up!
T,
"Drawbacks": I like most of the riffs, though some of the riffs sound like you could be practicing scales. At around 2:00 it sounds like a new song all of a sudden. Most of it was pretty heavy, I'm sure that was your goal. I'm not at home listening on my headphones, so it's not easy for me to tell if you double-tracked the guitar, panned them left & right, and have bass in the center (that could help if you don't). Sometimes the bass won't stand out if it is just follows the guitar. Some EQ could make the bass stand out more (could cut out guitar frequencies below ~100 Hz, and then turn up bass frequencies on electric bass). Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1601212
Last edited by aaron aardvark at May 12, 2013,
Thanks for feedback, although your your tips aren't anything new to me

I actually recorded 6 guitar tracks in total (3 on each speaker, panned and eq'd differently). I usually compose the bass parts so that it isn't a straight copy-paste from the guitar parts. This time though, on the heavy parts, i was going for a relentless vibe (Meshuggah influences maybe...), so i didn't wanna make the bass parts overflow.

To clarify: The problem i have with the bass guitar is that its not punchy enough, no matter how i try to compress it. Is there some trick I'm unaware of? Maybe I should use lighter bass strings...
There were some strange fading effects in "Drawbacks". Are they there on purpose? Sometimes they were in pretty strange places.

I liked the clean parts. Overall pretty cool riffing though I'm really not that much into this kind of music.

What did you use to get those drum sounds?

I also listened to "Other Way Around". Nice chill song.

Here is my song: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1601304
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
With fading effects I assume mean the part before the outro; yup its on purpose I thought of putting some ambience on the fade out, so it wouldn't sound so unnatural, but I didn't do it out of plain laziness... I wanted to move on to new projects. I think the part is ok the way it is now.

For the drums I used the default drum-set in EZdrummer by Toontrack. Its a really cool drum machine and it costs about 150€. There is a better and more complex drum machine by them called "Superior drummer" which is even cooler, but costs more.

Thanks for the compliments
Quote by Tuomionmursu
With fading effects I assume mean the part before the outro; yup its on purpose I thought of putting some ambience on the fade out, so it wouldn't sound so unnatural, but I didn't do it out of plain laziness... I wanted to move on to new projects. I think the part is ok the way it is now.

For the drums I used the default drum-set in EZdrummer by Toontrack. Its a really cool drum machine and it costs about 150€. There is a better and more complex drum machine by them called "Superior drummer" which is even cooler, but costs more.

Thanks for the compliments

By "fading effects" I meant what happens at around 3 minutes. The sound kind of fades in in the first beat of the bar. It happens a couple of times. It might be some kind of playback problem? For example at 2:56-2:58 and 3:09-3:10 the sound suddenly fades out and in.

Yeah... I'm not going to spend that much money to get good drum sounds. I think I'll stick with drum samples and the good old Shortcircuit.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
By "fading effects" I meant what happens at around 3 minutes. The sound kind of fades in in the first beat of the bar. It happens a couple of times. It might be some kind of playback problem? For example at 2:56-2:58 and 3:09-3:10 the sound suddenly fades out and in.

Yeah... I'm not going to spend that much money to get good drum sounds. I think I'll stick with drum samples and the good old Shortcircuit.

Ohh, those negative volume spikes come from a bass boom effect that is connected to the guitar's compressor with a side chain, so that when there is a bass boom effect, the guitars get quieter for the brief moment. You might not hear the boom effect if you are not using headphones or speakers with a good bass response. Thanks for pointing that out, I haven't thought of that happening before.

I checked the price on the EZdrummer, and seems that i was way off with the price: Its currently only 79€.
T,
With my Line 6 Bass PodXT, Line 6 recommends mixing the direct signal from the electric bass (on one track) with the amp model & effects (has compression) on another track. Line 6 said they learned that from studio people. I'm trying to remember if that's called parallel compression when you mix the compressed with the non-compressed. You get a combination of the punchy non-compressed signal, with the compressed signal. It's usually what works best for me. You might need a signal splitter if your amp/amp model device has no direct out. Are you from Sweden or Norway or ?
Last edited by aaron aardvark at May 13, 2013,
I've been doing what you suggest Aaron, but there is still something with the bass's sound, that is just slightly unpleasant... Maybe it could be fixed with slight eqing or something. I think I'm going to try experimenting with the eq and perhaps with my bass guitar. My bass guitar cost like about 90€ with a 2 watt amplifier, so the pickups are pretty bad. I probably should look for some new pickups, dunno.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions! I'm from Finland.