so, having myself a little evening jam sesh, little muse, 311, foo fighters, semi sonic (yeah i heard it in the car today so it was in my head).

right in the middle of the closing time solo, my volume just about cuts in half. wtf?!?! check guitar volume, boost was still on, what could it be? i go into my closet (aka the isolation room) and it smells like broken light bulbs..like burning. amp is still playing seemingly fine just low volume.

my 6l6 was glowing red all over like LAVA! no good. immediately turned off amp.

you can see the right one has the label semi burnt / faded

you can see in the middle, that filament is burnt black. doesnt look that bad until you compare

obviously, you can see what the filament should be lookin like:

engater tweaker 40
slightly less than 1 year old
stock ruby 6l6 tubes
play time = about 10 hrs a week on average

Edit:

ok. have the tubes in hand.

i am looking at the 2 tubes to compare Ruby 6L6GCMSTR matched pair. first thing i notice is that the bad tube has the "RUBY" logo almost burnt off. its clear that the glass tube heated up a significant amount compared to the other.

now looking at the bottom components inside the tube there are filaments and metal wires etc. just like a burnt out light bulb, the bad tube has these filaments burnt black. still intact, but burnt. cant tell if anything else is wrong.

side note - pleased that egnater atleast put a matched pair in, and ones of fairly decent reputation. the preamp tubes however, were garbage.

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6l6-5881-kt66/ruby-6l6-gcmstr.html
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at May 15, 2013,
Sounds like you had a tube red-plate get another set of tubes and see if that works, if not time for a tech to look at it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
mmm....dont like that. im just assuming given the playing time i have on the amp, i wore it out.

can a tube red plate by normal / hard wear?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
mmm....dont like that. im just assuming given the playing time i have on the amp, i wore it out.

can a tube red plate by normal / hard wear?

I really am not sure, but I would guess it could.

You might want to get a new 12ax7 for the phase inverter with the power tubes. I would buy them and see if the new ones work ok
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Tubes fail from time to time.

Any idea what ruby it was? Lots of time stock tubes are cheaper and lower quality.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
nope. i just replaced my phase inverter with a JAN Philips 12at7.

can the increased current of the 12at7 be a culprit? perhaps the amp was not meant for this type of tube?

for the record its been working great for months, and sounding great.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
What's going on at the grid won't cause redplating (unless there is DC being added). That's either bias drift or dying tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 12, 2013,
ok. have the tubes in hand.

i am looking at the 2 tubes to compare Ruby 6L6GCMSTR matched pair. first thing i notice is that the bad tube has the "RUBY" logo almost burnt off. its clear that the glass tube heated up a significant amount compared to the other.

now looking at the bottom components inside the tube there are filaments and metal wires etc. just like a burnt out light bulb, the bad tube has these filaments burnt black. still intact, but burnt. cant tell if anything else is wrong.

side note - pleased that egnater atleast put a matched pair in, and ones of fairly decent reputation. the preamp tubes however, were garbage.

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6l6-5881-kt66/ruby-6l6-gcmstr.html
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Photo?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
cath your killin me. but im doing laundry and i cant play guitar...so let me try with the i phone.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
cath heres one for you - i will buy a matched pair of the same model....aparently these rubys have a decent reputation.

would you risk using the 1 good tube that is left? i can keep it as a backup. theoretically, it should be fine.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
They're still just a Shuguang. Throw them both away and if you can afford a set of SED =C=, buy them. Otherwise buy JJ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well people say decent things about em.

the main reason is A - i have no gripes about em.

B - i dont want to rebias, so i need to go with the same model, matched pair

C - lots of decent reviews
http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=427194
http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Amps/Ruby-6L6GCMSTR-vs-JJ-6L6GC-in-5150-6505/td-p/31641952
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
They may be one of the better Shuguangs but a Shuguang they still are. Bite the bullet and put something that's actually good in it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i know im taking a loss in the long run, but for the sake of convenience i am going with the plug and play move here.

buying matched rubys. NOW, if these prematurely blow or something, ill take it to a tech and get rebiased for top end tubes.

i WILL get the "early" breakup set from dougstubes. whatever that means. if they actually do breakup early, perhaps i can get some better harmonic power tube tone in my bedroom. thats nice.....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Last edited by ikey_ at May 12, 2013,
Just buying the same brand won't mean it will be balanced with the other one. If you just want to get through a gig you can throw just about anything in there. Just watch that it doesn't redplate and you'll get through the gig. I've had to do that before, it's sub optimal but it can get you out of trouble.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
right....im putting a whole new match set in there. fresh pair same model. so that should do it.

of course, nothing is better than a tech doing it correctly in person...not some factory worker. and doing it with high end tubes.

...i guess im half assing this. partly because i was quite happy with my tone to begin with. like i said, if something happens again, its to the tech for sure.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
If you like the Shuguangs a set of SED will make you cream your pants.

PS: don't you think it's about time you learned how to bias your amp? You aren't a beginner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 12, 2013,
noted.

thats where i cross a line. im quite a BS artist when it comes to electrical stuff. sure i wired my own guitar. it was sloppy. it also couldnt kill me....

id probably take it in and have it biased once for 1 pair of awesome tubes i would use for the rest of the life of the amp.

or i do what i normally do and research every article on the internet 6 times before i buy the equipment and perform the act...god knows how long that process would take.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by ikey_
noted.

thats where i cross a line. im quite a BS artist when it comes to electrical stuff. sure i wired my own guitar. it was sloppy. it also couldnt kill me....

id probably take it in and have it biased once for 1 pair of awesome tubes i would use for the rest of the life of the amp.

or i do what i normally do and research every article on the internet 6 times before i buy the equipment and perform the act...god knows how long that process would take.

If you order a bias probe from www.eurotubes.com, it will cost $25 and if you don't have a multi-meter add another $10-$15 and then you can bias your own amps from then on.

This is what I did and it is really easy, I don't have a lot of electronics knowledge, but reading a meter and turning a pot is something I can do.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you order a bias probe from www.eurotubes.com, it will cost $25 and if you don't have a multi-meter add another $10-$15 and then you can bias your own amps from then on.

This is what I did and it is really easy, I don't have a lot of electronics knowledge, but reading a meter and turning a pot is something I can do.

+Cathbard. Don't make him angry with stupid excuses.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Are the Egnater amps cathode or fix biased?
All of the models, with the exception of the Tweaker, are fixed/adjustable bias with easy to use test points. Consult the owner’s manuals or contact support@egnateramps.com for information on how to properly adjust the bias. The Tweaker is cathode biased so there is no adjustment required when replacing tubes.
im fairly certain only the 15 watt is cathode...i think the 40 and 88 are not. then again, i see no bias probe areas so you may be right.

regardless, dougs tubes sound BETTER. damn. they are a slightly different model / year, cause the tubes themselves look slightly different / shaped different. i got the low breakup ones to try to get a little more harmonics in at low volume.

probably a combo of new tubes and the low breakup, but they sound sweeter. nice.

my tweaker is now 100% retuned to my specs, running through an avatar cab with WGS speakers in it.

bruce egnater couldnt get this amp sounding any better.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by R45VT
+Cathbard. Don't make him angry with stupid excuses.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification