So recently I've been listening to a lot of prog-rock, post-rock, and math-rock/core, and decided I want to try stuff like that. But my current guitar is only good for metal. Which has been (mostly) the only thing I've been playing the last few years.

I need a guitar with a warm resonant tone, and can handle a lot of effects. I assumed a telecaster would be best, but people who own them say I would be disappointed. So I really don't know what to look for . Does anybody have any recommendations? Also are telecasters really that bad? Also, I kinda have been looking at the ibanez artcore (semi-hollow), does anybody know if it's any good?
i have no idea what most of those genres even are but I'm not sure I'd say a telecaster has a "warm, resonant tone"...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lots of good options out there and plenty of helpful people here on UG- give us more info, and you'll get a lot of suggestions!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Any guitar is good for any genre of music, it just depends on how good your amp is.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Any guitar is good for any genre of music, it just depends on how good your amp is.

Would an Orange amp be good?

Quote by SteveHOC
Please fill this out:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

I play in all of those genres, so I'll have some thoughts, but we need this info first.

Oops sorry

Budget? - $300-$500(willing to play a little more if needed)
Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?
Pickups? - Passive, humbuckers
New or Used? - Either
Location? - Massachusetts
Current Gear? - Dean Custom Zone: with Dimarzio humbuckers from hell, and a crunch lab in the bridge.
So you're looking for a very versatile guitar that handles effects well.

If you're an EQ noob: get a basswood or alder guitar with passive pickups.

If you're an EQ whiz: get a basswood or alder guitar with active pickups.

The reason is that active pickups have a flat frequency response. This means that they can be EQ'd to meet any possible criteria you have. However, EQing is a skill in itself. I personally am not very good at it. Basswood and alder are more neutral woods that take effects extremely well.
Ok, what Orange amp do you have?

Also, you missed a big chunk of information there that would be useful to know (preferences).

$300-500, passive humbuckers... HH Jag, Blacktop Telecaster, used LP Studio, used SG... lots of options.

You mentioned Artcore, so I can recommend the Ibanez AM93, as I used it for both math-rock and post-rock. I'd get a used Sheraton if I were you, as I wish I had gotten one, retrospectively, but that's me.
OffsetOffset
One to look at would be a Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster.

A Godin Redline HB might work, as might a used Godin Richmond Belmont or Empire.

A real find would be a used Reverend Double Agent.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 12, 2013,
Is that where you scored your excellent deal on your Warhawk?

Nah, mine was off a gentleman who had briefly used it at church, though this one is evidently pristine as well. I'm just a sucker for blocks and binding, so I pulled the trigger on the Warhawk, though I'm usually more into bolt-on necks. I took the Warhawk through it's paces the other night, taking it from clean to the dirtiest of dirty channels - I'm ridiculously impressed with it. That Reverend thread needs more players!

Edit: this Jetstream also has the Reverend hard case - it's a steal, someone here ought to snag it!
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at May 12, 2013,
What? New Reverend cases are like $170 by themselves!

I know! Yeah, this would be a solid deal if TS or any other thread watchers are interested. Hell, if I hadn't just gotten the Warhawk and decided that a G&L was going to be my next purchase, I'd probably get it myself. Odd though, they're showing one with a rosewood fretboard, but the description says maple. Hmm, I do love a good maple board...
OffsetOffset
There's nothing about your current guitar that makes it "only good for metal." What other gear are you using? That stuff will determine whether your guitar will good sound at different genres.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at May 13, 2013,
Quote by progdude93
So you're looking for a very versatile guitar that handles effects well.

If you're an EQ noob: get a basswood or alder guitar with passive pickups.

If you're an EQ whiz: get a basswood or alder guitar with active pickups.

The reason is that active pickups have a flat frequency response. This means that they can be EQ'd to meet any possible criteria you have. However, EQing is a skill in itself. I personally am not very good at it. Basswood and alder are more neutral woods that take effects extremely well.

I don't want to say you're completely wrong, but you are.

While actives are always described as sterile/neutral sounding COMPARED to passives, they are by no means flat in their EQ-response. The EMG 81 (most popular active overall) for example has a chopped off low-end which makes for tight bass response, cut-off highs which prevents fizz and a high mid peak which cuts through the mix BUT is also can sound nasal. Plus all the frequencies taken out of the pickup is why it's so 'anemic' sounding with anything but high gain.

You can get an EQ pedal or something and try to EQ the active character/tone out of your pickup, but at that point why even get actives in first place?
I tried liking EMGs for more than metal myself, but can't personally.

As for basswood being the most neutral wood, well, that's kind of also my thought, BUT the wood alone won't make a guitar versatile or make it "take effects well".

My recommendation for warm and resonant would be something Gibson-ish.
But the description is very vague overall, some more information would be really helpful.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Have you checked out Fernandes?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
I love my Fernandes Ravelle, and have other Fernandes guitars on my G.A.S. list, but I think that they tend to use hotter pickups than many other makers- maybe the wrong direction for the amuroreiray's purposes.

The Retrorocket or Dragonfly might be the best options out of their line.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 13, 2013,
Wanna buy my ESP Eclipse II for $900 bucks?

Its in pristine condition with SD JB/59 humbuckers.

Mahogony body. Amberburst color. Thin U neck. 500k pots.

Guitar is a BEAST and suited for all genres and effects.

Great guitar, but I leard I'm a Stratocaster guy after putting in a decent amount of $ into the ESP, so I never use it.

Case, all hardware and original EMGs included.
Quote by Axe Murderer

Great guitar, but I leard I'm a Stratocaster guy after putting in a decent amount of $ into the ESP, so I never use it.

His budget is $300-500, I'm guessing he's probably not going to double that. Not a bad deal if he could swing it, but again, his budget doesn't seem set up for that.
OffsetOffset
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Dunno. Something like a Les Paul.

yeah or an sg or something like that

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

some are certainly better at some genres than others

if you played modern brootalcore i wouldn't recommend this, for example:

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh of course, i was referring more to solidbody electrics.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
even still, i'd far rather play heavier stuff on an ibanez or jackson (a good one, anyway) or similar than on a tele or something like that (especially a vintage spec one).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about Malmsteem's strat? That guitar has very vintage-voiced pickups.
Quote by TheSennaj
Yet they are quite a bit more powerful and hum-free compared to normal Strat pickups.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What about Malmsteem's strat? That guitar has very vintage-voiced pickups.

well he did scallop the heck out of the fretboard it's not just the pickups, it's the entire thing. in fact, when i'm saying, "i'd rather not play heavy stuff on a vintage spec strat or tele", the pickups are pretty far down my list of reasons... vintage radius, small frets, 21 frets etc. are more important to me than the pickups. they are important too, of course, but it's not just the pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SteveHOC
His budget is $300-500, I'm guessing he's probably not going to double that. Not a bad deal if he could swing it, but again, his budget doesn't seem set up for that.

Yeah, you never know. Figured I'd just put it out there.

Im not hurting to sell it, but I'd like to at some point....
I'm unfamiliar with the genres, but if it's warm you want maybe something with a Les Paul body then drop some new pickups in it.

I've got Bare Knuckles in my Les Paul and love them, however they are exxy. Maybe some PAF copies? I am about to install a set of Golden Age Parsons Street humbuckers in a second hand Ibanez Artist Reissue. Picked them up from the Stew Mac website. Haven't heard them yet but I hear they are outstanding, and you have your choice of pickup magnets when ordering. Cost me $110 a set from memory, which included covers.

EDIT: sorry didn't see the budget in the post, this is still achievable but you won't have much change left over. Second hand LTD perhaps?
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Last edited by Simple Jack at May 14, 2013,
Quote by Axe Murderer

^ or this
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX