It's not really a problem, but in Concert Band, all of the songs we've been playing have been in compound or odd meters, and now whenever I sit down and try to improvise or write on my guitar or drums, I get stuck playing in compound meters. The music I listen to lately also has a bunch of switching between compound or odd meters, so that can also be contributing to it. I can't seem to think in anything but threes, but I suppose it'll change when school's over and my listening preferences go back to post-hardcore.

But has this ever happened to you guys? Getting stuck thinking in a certain meter, just because you've been listening or playing it a lot? I was just wondering, and this seemed like the best place to ask.

I can say that this has greatly helped me get more comfortable playing in anything but 4/4 and 3/4. And I can count out time signatures of math rock songs with more ease.
I've been studying some ferneyhough and now I can only improvise in 2/10 where the second beat is divided into a [11:6] tuplet and a triplet all inside a quintuplet.

Sucks man
don't try and force inspiration i mean, you should be able to write in 3/4 or 4/4 with a little pushing, but why push it?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.