interested in how he got this tone, namely the strumming part... just wondering what of his army of gear he's using here
Gibson Les Paul, cranked Marshall Plexi, and a whole lotta mojo. Same secret to the tones before Dicky Betts and 60's Eric Clapton. It's just a magic combo.
Quote by JustRooster
Gibson Les Paul, cranked Marshall Plexi, and a whole lotta mojo. Same secret to the tones before Dicky Betts and 60's Eric Clapton. It's just a magic combo.

Are you sure that's not a tele and a supro?

I'm not a really big Zep buff though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
In the studio, he used both He played a few shows with the Tele live, but he used a Marshall for those gigs, and switched pretty quick to the LP.
I used to fudge it by picking as close to the bridge as possible
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The muted notes don't have that humbuckerish muffled to them. So I think that guy^^ is more accurate.

Sound is british like an old marshall.

Quote by steven seagull
I used to fudge it by picking as close to the bridge as possible

If you have a humbucker guitar it would explain u trying to get that thinner muffle.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at May 13, 2013,
i'd say tele into (vintage-style) fuzz (probably with volume control rolled back a lot on the guitar) then with a vintage-style tube amp. should get you pretty close.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As someone else said, it was recorded with a Tele through a Supro. Looking at some of their performances, he used a Les Paul and Marshall Plexi live. The only time that I can find when he didn't use a Les Paul/Marshall combination was when they played on Danmarks Radio in 1969.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Yes for the Led Zeppelin I album he used a Telecaster and Supro amp. Any telecaster style/humbuker guitar into a small overdriven tube amp will get you into the ballpark. Possibly a vintage fuzz style pedal with a "sagged" tone.

In the late 60s and early 70s Jimmy actually played a Gibson into a modified Hiwatt amp, not a Marshall. He used this setup at the Royal Albert Hall gig.
I didn't know that - do you know what model Hiwatt it was?
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
It was just a modified Custom Hiwatt 100. The schematic can be found online by a quick google search.

Edit: Catalinbread created the RAH to replicate this tone.
Last edited by R_Gallagher_Fan at May 13, 2013,