Hey guys. Here's the rundown;

I'm looking to get a modeling preamp that doesn't sound like shit and is rack-mountable. I love the sound and versatility of the Axe FX Ultra/II, but I don't have the money to buy one of those and the floor board for it.

I mostly play djent, but my band likes to do a lot of deathcore and the like, so I'm looking for something that can do both. However, the reason I want to get a modeling pre is because I like to have compressed cleans in some of my songs and I don't like dancing all over my pedal board to switch channels and turn my compression on and off.

I would also like to be able to afford a floor board with it so that I can switch between channels without going back to my rack and finding the right one.

It MUST be rack-mounted. I simply don't like the idea of having a $600 piece of gear sitting on the floor, as my regular practice area floods during rain. (Shitty, I know...)

My guitar is a Schecter Omen-8 with DiMarzio DiActivator 8 pickups. It sounds FANTASTIC!

My budget is about $1000, but keep in mind that I want the preamp and floorboard. I'm honestly willing to look at anything, but the Eleven Rack and HD Pro are the preamps that really caught my eye.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks! Let me know if I left any bit of necessary information out.

EDIT: I feel as though I should mention that I DO have recording software on my computer. (Ableton Live 9) Unfortunately, it's uhm...Shared. The Eleven Rack caught my eye more because it comes with Pro Tools, so I could use the customer support, rather than just dealing with it.
Last edited by The.new.guy at May 12, 2013,
There are a number of guitarists out here in LaLa land who use the Eleven rackmount unit for professional recording gigs, and they seem to love it. The fact that it comes with Pro Tools is a big plus if you want to record at home. Of the two, I'd take the Eleven. I think it will serve you well.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by The.new.guy
Hey guys. Here's the rundown;

I'm looking to get a modeling preamp that doesn't sound like shit and is rack-mountable. I love the sound and versatility of the Axe FX Ultra/II, but I don't have the money to buy one of those and the floor board for it.

I mostly play djent, but my band likes to do a lot of deathcore and the like, so I'm looking for something that can do both. However, the reason I want to get a modeling pre is because I like to have compressed cleans in some of my songs and I don't like dancing all over my pedal board to switch channels and turn my compression on and off.

I would also like to be able to afford a floor board with it so that I can switch between channels without going back to my rack and finding the right one.

It MUST be rack-mounted. I simply don't like the idea of having a $600 piece of gear sitting on the floor, as my regular practice area floods during rain. (Shitty, I know...)

My guitar is a Schecter Omen-8 with DiMarzio DiActivator 8 pickups. It sounds FANTASTIC!

My budget is about $1000, but keep in mind that I want the preamp and floorboard. I'm honestly willing to look at anything, but the Eleven Rack and HD Pro are the preamps that really caught my eye.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks! Let me know if I left any bit of necessary information out.

EDIT: I feel as though I should mention that I DO have recording software on my computer. (Ableton Live 9) Unfortunately, it's uhm...Shared. The Eleven Rack caught my eye more because it comes with Pro Tools, so I could use the customer support, rather than just dealing with it.

The models on the HD gear have always sounded better to my ears, but I don't know much about the 11R functionally. If you're able to load 3rd party impulses that'd sell it for me, otherwise I prefer the HD Pro.
Flip a coin.

The Eleven Rack sounds good. My problem with it is that I think it's being orphaned by the company.

The HD Pro is an excellent choice, too, and there are no issues with using it with any recording software including Pro Tools. The Eleven R is a bit more seamless with ProTools, but I'm thinking not in any way that would make it an overwhelming choice.

Here's another possibility. Pick up the Pod HD (the bean version). There's a $300 difference (well, more than that, actually, since I managed to find a new one for $275). Consider what you'll actually need in the rackmount version that isn't in the bean. If you have a Variax guitar, you definitely want either the Pro or the HD 500. Beyond that, maybe not. A pair of beans would run you $800 at retail, just $100 more than a single Pro, and you'd have a backup. Recording with the bean is no more difficult than with the Pro.

The floorboards for both (the FBV Express and Shortboard) are the same, the models are the same, the sound is the same. You can easily put the bean up on a desk and program it; a rackmounted HD Pro in the rackmount case, not so much. You can tuck the bean into a gig bag pocket and take it and some earphones anywhere you go to practice.
This thread is for me, as I'm very well versed in both products.

I'm a huge fan of the eleven rack, it is a superior product to the pod, but, not for djent or deathcore. For those two genres alone, the eleven rack falls behind. For all others it is exceptional.

The answer is quite simple, get the pod HD. Period.
I used the Eleven Rack heavily for a year. It has fantastic Plexi/Marshall type sounds, just great! However, the HD destroys it in effects/routing, IMO. The sounds aren't bad either!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
It looks like I'll probably be getting the HD Pro. That's a shame. My favorite color is orange.

EDIT: Here's my personal reasoning without having tried either:

I downloaded a free trial of Pro Tools and my computer just hates it. Not only does it not work unless I run it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 (I have Windows 8), but it crashes ALL the time. I only have Live 9.0.2, so, one would assume that there are still bugs, but no. Ableton did a fantastic job on this release, just as long as you're running Windows 8.

Nonetheless, from what you guys have told me, the Eleven Rack wouldn't be what I want. This is somewhat of a downer for me, as I've always hated Line 6 and really don't want to give them my money, but if it sounds better than the Eleven Rack for what I'm going to be using it for, why not?

That, and I was hoping to get a piece of gear that you don't normally see. All my guitar friends seem to have PODs of some sort, but no one's even heard of an Eleven Rack. Honestly, it seems that you guys are basically saying that they're virtually equal if you include their downfalls and strong points. Eleven Rack has better sounds in general, but not for what I'm using it for. The HD Pro has slightly worse general tone, but what I'll be using it for is a total bulls-eye. Eh...I suppose I can get used to black.
Last edited by The.new.guy at May 13, 2013,
Quote by The.new.guy
It looks like I'll probably be getting the HD Pro. That's a shame. My favorite color is orange.

EDIT: Here's my personal reasoning without having tried either:

I downloaded a free trial of Pro Tools and my computer just hates it. Not only does it not work unless I run it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 (I have Windows 8), but it crashes ALL the time. I only have Live 9.0.2, so, one would assume that there are still bugs, but no. Ableton did a fantastic job on this release, just as long as you're running Windows 8.

Nonetheless, from what you guys have told me, the Eleven Rack wouldn't be what I want. This is somewhat of a downer for me, as I've always hated Line 6 and really don't want to give them my money, but if it sounds better than the Eleven Rack for what I'm going to be using it for, why not?

That, and I was hoping to get a piece of gear that you don't normally see. All my guitar friends seem to have PODs of some sort, but no one's even heard of an Eleven Rack. Honestly, it seems that you guys are basically saying that they're virtually equal if you include their downfalls and strong points. Eleven Rack has better sounds in general, but not for what I'm using it for. The HD Pro has slightly worse general tone, but what I'll be using it for is a total bulls-eye. Eh...I suppose I can get used to black.

Honestly the tones you get out of either unit are only as good as the time and effort you put into creating them. If you want something that sounds great out of the box you'll be disappointed, but if you spend the time to tweak and build your patches you can get amazing tones from either.
Yeah, again, I wanted to chime in and just point out, in my experience, owning racks, the Eleven Rack really IS a superior product to the Pod HD in terms of flat out quality of tone and tube like emulation.

BUT, it does come with faults, that being heavy metal type sound. You can certainly tune a patch to provide a rich, deep thumpy crunch... but it's nothing like that of the Pod HD. The Pod HD really doesn't impress me at all, EXCEPT for when trying to create metal tones, with metal it honestly is as good as the Axe FX. Outstanding heavy deep distorted tone.

So for your needs, Pod HD... for almost everyone else, Eleven Rack.
I'd go POD HD PRO/ HD500 over an Eleven Rack - I think the ER is slightly overrated and definately overpriced. It retails for like 675 in the UK - there is no way it 's worth 250 pounds more than the HD500.

They should remove the PT10 bundle and reduce the price significantly.
$100 more could get you a used Axe-FX Standard and an FCB1010 floorboard
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
$100 more could get you a used Axe-FX Standard and an FCB1010 floorboard

This intrigues me.

EDIT: I can't seem to find a used one anywhere.
Here's a quick question that's very much related to this thread, so I won't start another...

Would any MIDI floor board work with the HD Pro, or would I HAVE to get the FBV Shortboard for it? I feel as though I could save about $100 if I bought that FCB1010 instead of the FBV, but I don't want to buy it only to find out that it won't sync to it or something.

I'm kind of new to the whole MIDI thing...

EDIT:
Quote by 6505fiz
Yeah, again, I wanted to chime in and just point out, in my experience, owning racks, the Eleven Rack really IS a superior product to the Pod HD in terms of flat out quality of tone and tube like emulation.

BUT, it does come with faults, that being heavy metal type sound. You can certainly tune a patch to provide a rich, deep thumpy crunch... but it's nothing like that of the Pod HD. The Pod HD really doesn't impress me at all, EXCEPT for when trying to create metal tones, with metal it honestly is as good as the Axe FX. Outstanding heavy deep distorted tone.

So for your needs, Pod HD... for almost everyone else, Eleven Rack.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I could have it all. I love any great tone I can get out of my guitar. Be it a metal tone, jazz tone, blues tone, classic rock, etc. I love playing any genre of music. It's just that my needs are based around the heavier side of things. I want an Axe FX, but as I stated, I can't find one used in my area, or on eBay and I don't really trust any other owner-auction site. If anyone can direct me to a used Axe FX Standard that's in or around my budget, please do. If not, I'm going with the POD.
Quote by The.new.guy
Here's a quick question that's very much related to this thread, so I won't start another...

Would any MIDI floor board work with the HD Pro, or would I HAVE to get the FBV Shortboard for it? I feel as though I could save about $100 if I bought that FCB1010 instead of the FBV, but I don't want to buy it only to find out that it won't sync to it or something.

I'm kind of new to the whole MIDI thing...

That's a very good point, afaik you have to use the Line 6 board but I could be wrong. I think they use their own proprietary system L6 link?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
That's a very good point, afaik you have to use the Line 6 board but I could be wrong. I think they use their own proprietary system L6 link?

No, you can use any midi controller you want.

L6 link is for connecting the HD500 to the DT amps and Stage Source PA speakers.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra