Page 1 of 3
I don't think it is. To me a hobby is painting, or writing, or playing a sport, or playing music, or making balloon animals, etc. Saying your hobby is being a "big gamer" is like saying you're a "big TV watcher." It's lame and not even a real hobby. Discuss.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
it's lame but just as 'real' as anything. it's not as legitimate as those other hobbies you mentioned though.
That's like asking if "wasting all of your time" is a real hobby, says me on my day long FIFA binge.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
When somebody does something they enjoy and they do it a lot, it's a hobby. It can be gaming, knitting or masturbating for all I care
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
gaming is lame

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
hob·by
/ˈhäbē/
Noun
An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

Gaming fits that criteria.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
It depends. People who play and analyze games as an art form can certainly argue it's as much as a hobby as people who claim to watch films as a hobby.

Now, if you only play one game, but play it frequently (Like Counter Strike or Starcraft) I'd be more inclined to see that is more like a sport, and sports are hobbies, soooo.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
People who play and analyze games as an art form

ha

Now, if you only play one game, but play it frequently I'd be more inclined to see that is more like a sport, and sports are hobbies, soooo.

ha ha
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Try telling someone at a Starcraft tournament that what they're doing is equivalent to watching TV
cat
Quote by ErikLensherr
Saying your hobby is being a "big gamer" is like saying you're a "big TV watcher." It's lame and not even a real hobby.

What's wrong with video games and TV? You sound mad that people are enjoying themselves.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
well a hobby is something someone does on their spare time for enjoyment....so yeah its a hobby

not as usefull a hobby as wood working or playing sports but its a hobby
Quote by jthm_guitarist
What's wrong with video games and TV? You sound mad that people are enjoying themselves.

What this guy said. Get off your high horse.
Quote by due 07
it's lame but just as 'real' as anything. it's not as legitimate as those other hobbies you mentioned though.
Quote by skylerjames13
hob·by
/ˈhäbē/
Noun
An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

Gaming fits that criteria.
These
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
For some people it's a bloody livelihood so I should think it can be done as a hobby
Most of the 'big gamers' I'm friends with (and hell, I'm one of them too) are interested not only in the playing of a game, but aspects such as the music, the art styles, the ways in which stories are told through the medium of gaming and a hell of a load of other things. A few of said friends are actually involved in the video games industry too, and are making money out of their hobby.

Let me put it in context - Sure, someone who goes to the cinema a lot hasn't a great argument for listing 'watching films' as an active, interesting hobby. However, why shouldn't someone who is fascinated with the world of film and knows a massive amount of knowledge about the subject call it a hobby?

Just because neither of those are necessarily 'highbrow' or physical, doesn't mean they aren't hobbies. Could you not make the same argument for reading, or mind games such as chess? Provided they aren't obsessive 24/7 hobbies then what's the problem?
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Quote by guitarxo
Try telling someone at a Starcraft tournament that what they're doing is equivalent to watching TV

I would but then I'd have to go to a Starcraft tournament :c
In my heart I'm with you

every night
I don't see why not. You can get better at it, it's qualifiable, has attainable goals, is competitive, etc.

Watching TV isn't interactive and doesn't allude to development of skills
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by magnus_maximus
I like games because they're the only artform that fights back and says "you wanna see this bit? No. Not until you do this."

I think that is why normal people just go out and flirt with women.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by metaldud536
What is normal?

They're weak to fighting types.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Although I am not a gamer myself, gaming is a legitimate hobby. Hell, its a career for some of my friends. Some friends of mine are sponsored by a Russian company and they make a lot of money (and I mean, A LOT)
For most it's neither productive or profitable, but yes it's a hobby. For some it can be productive as it's research for their music/art/videogames, and in turn profitable. Videogames can be competitive, but I don't find it very satisfying unless I rank high on a global scale.
Last edited by stratkat at May 12, 2013,
Anything can be a hobby, really.

Gaming is probably one of the bigger ones these days.

I guess one could say "gaming enthusiast" if you want to get technical about it.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I play a good bit of video games and I quite enjoy it. I also play quite a bit of guitar and enjoy it. I also play quite a bit of soccer and enjoy it. None have brought me any wealth or in anyway made my life better except by giving me something very fun to do in my free time. If I were significantly better at/more dedicated to any of them they could potentially provide the possibility of wealth. Which one isn't a hobby?
"Your just a monkey in a monkey suit, aww yeah!"-Piebald "Long Nights"
To me 'hobbies' and 'interests' are different categories. Gaming is most definitely an 'interest'.

Clearly it could be a hobby and looking at objectively I can't argue against the notion it is but to me it's more enjoying an art than participating in it. Designing a video game could be a hobby but playing them is more of an interest to me; it's just something you enjoy. Just like listening to music isn't a hobby but writing or performing it is.

Although I guess with video games it's a blurry line, since I'm sure someone would try to use my analogy (which admittedly is faulty) to say 'well sports aren't a hobby unless you created it' or something.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at May 13, 2013,
I'd say it's not a hobby, more like entertainment, as tv. You participate, but hey...so what.
Quote by MrOtter
I play a good bit of video games and I quite enjoy it. I also play quite a bit of guitar and enjoy it. I also play quite a bit of soccer and enjoy it. None have brought me any wealth or in anyway made my life better except by giving me something very fun to do in my free time. If I were significantly better at/more dedicated to any of them they could potentially provide the possibility of wealth. Which one isn't a hobby?

The video games, didn't you read the OP :x
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Tempoe
I'd say it's not a hobby, more like entertainment, as tv. You participate, but hey...so what.

You really don't get what hobby gaming is, do you? It's much more active than watching TV.
Quote by ErikLensherr
The video games, didn't you read the OP :x

Flawless logic is flawless...
"Your just a monkey in a monkey suit, aww yeah!"-Piebald "Long Nights"
it doesn't really fit my conception of a hobby
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by ErikLensherr
I don't think it is. To me a hobby is painting, or writing, or playing a sport, or playing music, or making balloon animals, etc. Saying your hobby is being a "big gamer" is like saying you're a "big TV watcher." It's lame and not even a real hobby. Discuss.

Well then, you're wrong.

A hobby is just something you often do for fun in your spare time. You could even say drinking and masturbating are hobbies of mine.
Page 1 of 3