im wondering the above cuz i hear there have been alot of counterfiet gibsons and stuff sold
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1382694

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1141248&page=1&pp=20

After, go on Gibson's forum. They have articles and stuff that show you the difference. You should just search about it too because it's been discussed to death.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at May 12, 2013,
now that i think about it i bought a used syn cutom schecter on ebay but the head stock is diff than all the others i see onilne cause it says schecter diamond series in red when all the others i see say it in white ? could it be fake ?
Probably. The best way to spot a fake is the serial number. Get it and then cross reference that with the manufacturer. If they refuse to give you the SN, that's a dead give away.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
That's actually not a good way to spot a fake. Anybody can stamp a legit serial number on a fake guitar, it's not like SNs are a secret code that only the manufacturer understands. Here's a fake Gibson SN I just made up:
That would show up as a real SN, and there's probably even an actual Gibson out there with that exact number. But if you made a fake and threw that number on there, the serial would most likely check out as "legit."

The best way, really, to tell a fake is to get it into the hands of a shop or tech who knows what they're looking for, or post some high-res pictures here. There are lots of people on this site who can spot a fake quite easily from a few decent pictures.
Yea serial numbers can be grabbed off any Gibson thread where someone owners about the authenticity.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Roc8995
That's actually not a good way to spot a fake. Anybody can stamp a legit serial number on a fake guitar, it's not like SNs are a secret code that only the manufacturer understands. Here's a fake Gibson SN I just made up:
That would show up as a real SN, and there's probably even an actual Gibson out there with that exact number. But if you made a fake and threw that number on there, the serial would most likely check out as "legit."

The best way, really, to tell a fake is to get it into the hands of a shop or tech who knows what they're looking for, or post some high-res pictures here. There are lots of people on this site who can spot a fake quite easily from a few decent pictures.

Reported.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
To Gibson.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
Yea serial numbers can be grabbed off any Gibson thread where someone owners about the authenticity.

Or they can use about 10 minutes of time on the internet to get the pattern Gibson uses and make up any serial number they want. Everyone acts like the serial number has magical powers that keeps it from being decoded except by the one true owner, but it's just a year, day, and sequence number. Anyone can make 'em up if they really want to.

Same thing with Epiphones and probably just about every other guitar manufacturer.

The best solution is to know the typical signs of fakes or use the experience of others if you have a question, as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Yea serial numbers are in no way a declaration of authenticity on its own. On Gibsons the logo has to be accurately inline with the tuners, the way the serial number is printed etc.

It's quite obvious when you know the signs.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Hit up one of the dedicated LP threads (MyLesPaul, The Les Paul Forums, etc.). Take photos.

The fakes are improving all the time, and the new ones are tougher to tell than the old ones.

As an aside, I have a conspiracy theory about the Chinese fakes <G>. Let's say you were Gibson and you were faced with the competition of selling your new guitars against the kajillion or so used guitars on the market for which you gathered absolutely no profit. Let's say that you released a number of fakes that were easy enough to spot by the experts, but close enough that a normal person might be taken in by it. Let's say that this generated enough FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) among the people that shopped the used market that they decided to ignore used guitars and ONLY buy new guitars fresh in the box. Would that help your bottom line?

I've always wondered why, after *years* of nearly perfect duplicates coming from Japan through out the 70's and after, and given the availability of LPs to copy from, and given the availability of people on the internet who will identify your mistakes and suggest corrections FOR you, you would keep putting out guitars with such obvious errors? Unless you *wanted* it known that there are fakes on the market...

Perspiring minds need to know.
Quote by dspellman
I've always wondered why, after *years* of nearly perfect duplicates coming from Japan through out the 70's and after, and given the availability of LPs to copy from, and given the availability of people on the internet who will identify your mistakes and suggest corrections FOR you, you would keep putting out guitars with such obvious errors? Unless you *wanted* it known that there are fakes on the market...

Perspiring minds need to know.

Maybe it costs the fakers $20 less per guitar (to pull a number out of my ass) to do it with the errors than to get it right. And if you sell 1000 fakes, that's $20,000 more in your pocket. And most people don't know what to look for, so the problems aren't worth fixing.

Dunno, just trying to think of logical reasons why they would do so.
I think that theory would constitute fraud and would be quite risky.

There would need to be quite a few people in on it which would mean that eventually, over the years, something concrete would come out.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

One of the problems with fakes- across all kinds of manufacturing businesses- these days is that certain countries turn a blind eye to counterfeiters.

China is particularly infamous for this. Some of the forgeries are actually produced in the same factories as the real thing. They even use identical materials...because it is being stolen from the company that hired them expressly for that purpose.

It happens like this: the factory officially might have a shift with a skeleton crew, with reduced output, typically in late night hours. The plant may even be shut down for the night, according to their records.

Instead, the machinery that is supposed to be offline is put to use producing forged goods. The raw materials for those goods are "damaged", "rejected as nonconforming/substandard" or some such. They may even be reported as stolen.

And brand new counterfeit goods roll out of the factory on a truck.

Sometimes, its not even hidden, and the counterfeits are made during regular business hours.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Tom 1.0
Reported.

ololololololo
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.