So the other day, I filled in at a gig for a friends band, it went pretty well and they've asked me to keep playing with them. I got a MIM Strat to dick around with a while back, but bass is definitely my main instrument so at my house I've just been plugging into my bass amp. I used this absolute piece of garbage line 6 for the gig and they have a few more in the coming weeks so I need better even if its a stopgap measure.

I saw 2 Frontman 212r's on Craigslist in my area and both people were asking a little less then 200 bucks. The amp would mainly be used for jamming in a practice space and at gigs at bars and clubs. Most of our songs are in drop C#, and we play a heavy kinda style.

I read the reviews over in the reviews and they seemed mostly positive, but there definitely were alot of dissenting opinions in the comments. My main concerns are - Is this baby going to be loud enough for what I need it to do? And can it do heavy or is it not going to be particularly suitable for that?
Total crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah it would definitely be brutal if you played on a Frontman especially the 212. Please do not get it. It was not made for heavier music.
not much better than the line 6. i mean it is, but really its not a good amp at all.

i knew a guy trying to get into a band and bought it cause of the fender name - immediately hated it. literally like first practice he wanted to get rid of it, but his money was gone and nobody wants to buy it from him.

i think in the financial world they refer to that as a "toxic asset"

it could do acceptable cleans, but lacks harmonics and punch of a tuber and cant keep up on stage. it was 100 watts and a 25 watt tuber had more punch and "loudness" on stage.

for dropped c? forget it. man you need and amp setup for that and the brand will not be Fender (perhaps a supersonic....thats the only thing in the line acceptable. supersonics are also about 1000 bucks).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at May 12, 2013,
Well then...

How much wattage should I be shooting for jamming and smallish gigs? I get that I don't have ton of money, but alot of the other combos were only like 50-65 watts and that just seems to smallish.
Just grab a 60W 6505+ or a Vyper Tube 60. As for power, I am currently running a JCM900 at 50W and we have to mike up the drums to keep up with me. Granted, I'm using six 12" speakers but still, a 50W tube amp is friggin loud.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 12, 2013,
i would rather have a 7 watt barron snott watt than a 100 watt fender frontman for heavy music.

theres qualities of a good rig that far surpass the sticker values of cheap crap. good cabs, speakers, tube amp, the design of the tube amp. makes a huge difference.

for example ac30 are 30 watt amp and are LOUD. about as loud as anything. well, as loud as you ever need to be. 30 watts. but its a GOOD amp.

for you, i would try to get into a decently priced tube amp deisgned for heavier music. that is key. yes, on a budget, peavy vypers tube series are good, perhaps even a jet city. even a 20 watt jet city should do well (heck of a lot better than anything less than it...frontman for god sakes).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
That's really strange, I borrowed my cousins 100 watt frontman for some metal gigs.
After having a good EQ setting backed with an overdrive pedal, I've had no problems gigging with it.
I've gigged with everything from a line 6 to a dual rectifier. I'm the type of person who thinks you can make any amp sound decent, especially when the competition has a way of making their expensive amps sound like crap.
Quote by TwoPlusTwo
That's really strange, I borrowed my cousins 100 watt frontman for some metal gigs.
After having a good EQ setting backed with an overdrive pedal, I've had no problems gigging with it.
I've gigged with everything from a line 6 to a dual rectifier. I'm the type of person who thinks you can make any amp sound decent, especially when the competition has a way of making their expensive amps sound like crap.

if you think music is a competition you're doing it wrong to begin with so

but look into a 6505 combo that probably will do you right, generic as a UG answer could get.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
if you think music is a competition you're doing it wrong to begin with so

but look into a 6505 combo that probably will do you right, generic as a UG answer could get.

Definitly, it's impossible for music to be a competition.
Quote by TwoPlusTwo
Definitly, it's impossible for music to be a competition.

What about battle of the bands?
Or Guitar Center king of the blues?
Quote by takachan
What about battle of the bands?
Or Guitar Center king of the blues?

What I meant by competition was other bands..
I own one and love it, I do quite a bit of heavy stuff in drop C mainly System and Bullet. I can get some good heavy tones on it but it is much better for clean stuff. It would definitely be loud enough though, quite a good amp for the price. Hope this helped
Quote by TwoPlusTwo
My competition is my own expectations. **** what other bands are doing. I don't care if they sound good or bad - I just care about my own band. If everone else sounds shit that's no excuse to lower my standards. I take my art seriously.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
My competition is my own expectations. **** what other bands are doing. I don't care if they sound good or bad - I just care about my own band. If everone else sounds shit that's no excuse to lower my standards. I take my art seriously.

If this was phrased less condescendingly I'd probably ignore it, but it's not. What are your expectations built from? From listening to all the other bands that came before and that are around now. If they had all been shit, then your expectations would be lower, if they had all been incredible then they'd be much higher.

People only know how to value things in relation to other things. That's how we work. If you've established your expectations of yourself firmly enough that other bands no longer have much of an effect then that's great, but other bands are still the reason those expectations are what they are.
Quote by toast565
If this was phrased less condescendingly I'd probably ignore it, but it's not. What are your expectations built from? From listening to all the other bands that came before and that are around now. If they had all been shit, then your expectations would be lower, if they had all been incredible then they'd be much higher.

People only know how to value things in relation to other things. That's how we work. If you've established your expectations of yourself firmly enough that other bands no longer have much of an effect then that's great, but other bands are still the reason those expectations are what they are.

You shouldn't lower your standards and decide not to write/play the best songs you can if other bands play crappy songs and can't play their instruments well. Same goes with your tone - you want to sound as good as you can, no matter how bad everybody else sounds like. That was the point Cath was making. Of course you are influenced by other bands but that wasn't the point. So Cath is right. It's your tone - you want it to please you. If it doesn't please you, it's not a good tone.

It was a response to TwoPlusTwo's comment that kind of let us understand that he doesn't really care about his tone that much because all the other bands sound bad. So he's lowering his standards because other bands sound bad. And that's why he doesn't need to sound that great - which of course isn't true. That's not how you should think. If you want to stand out, you need to be great, not just decent.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
eeek lot's of hate on me, I guess I should word my post more specific next time
Quote by takachan
eeek lot's of hate on me, I guess I should word my post more specific next time

Nobody's hating anybody here. It was TwoPlusTwo's comment that everybody was responding to.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by toast565

They are built upon what I know I'm capable of. It certainly doesn't come from what local bands are doing. I am a professional and I expect nothing less than professional sound. Any less and I am letting myself and my employer down.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I owned a Frontman 100w 212 as my first amp because I like my shit loud.

It was pretty much a mistake. It is loud but the tone is pretty blah. Sure, you can coax some decent cleans out of it but it doesn't sound like that is what you really want it for. If you were going to run a MFX pedal through it - I could see doing that but it is not a brootalz Drop C kind of amp.

My next amp was a Peavey Valveking 112 50w. Big step up but still not really geared for metal. It needed upgrades and pedals but it was just as loud if not louder than the FM212.

Then I bought a Peavey Vypyr 60. This is what you want for Drop C br00talz. I got it for $315 used. Frickin loud man.

I also bought a few other amps in between there. A 1 watt Blackheart and a 50 watt Splawn. They are loud too

I recommend the Vypyr 60

Moral of the story = tube amps are loud
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 13, 2013,
I made the mistake of buying a FM halfstack like 7 or 8 years ago when I was around 15 years old.

Do this day, I still believe that it was the worst gear purchase decision that I've made in my 10+ year career

My ears just went developed at the time, and it sounded really good to me; but after 6 months or so, when I got really hardcore into playing guitar, I realized what a terrible mistake I had made

I found that the amp was just harsh, and didn't sound natural at all, like a tube amp does. The gain on it could barely handle hard rock, let alone metal. Even then it was just an ear piercing crap tone. The clean channel was decent, for a SS Clean. It just lacks the warmth and body of a good ol' tube clean tone.

Needless to say, that was the last SS amp I ever owned. I sold ASAP, and got myself a nice little 36 watt tube combo. 36 tube watts was more than enough to play any gig/rehearsal.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H